I'm glad Roman Polanski finally got caught! - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #256
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
By their friends ye shall know them.

Quote:
Mr Mitterrand, who hails from the political Left, hit back yesterday, saying that he was flattered that his name was being sullied by extremists but shocked by the Socialists’ attitude.
Some Socialists still possess a moral compass apparently.

<>
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #257
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Some Socialists still possess a moral compass apparently.

<>
i'm surprised your ilk aren't the only ones.
__________________

__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Sorry, but I don't remotely see the relevance.

Why, seing as it's basically true? Some of the public figures defending Polanski are also child molestors. (Edit: Maybe not Allen, we don't know for sure, but Mitterand?) That's what's disgusting, surely.

If Wacko was still alive, I bet he'd be pleading for 'justice' for the 'oppressed' Polanski in that whiny voice of his.
(Edit: Maybe not Allen, we don't know for sure, but Mitterand?) - what´s that supposed to mean?

Please enlighten me now who on that list has been convicted and tried and served a sentence for child molestation.

As to Allen, his current (as far as I know) wife SoonYi was born in 1970; the breakup with Mia Farrow happened in 1992. Farrow discovered his relationship with SoonYi after finding nude pictures of the woman, then 21. I don´t know all the details, but what I know hardly qualifies for child molestation.

I just read of Mitterand, hanging with gay men or gay boys in Thailand - also Mitterand hasn´t been convicted tried or served a sentence for child molestation as of yet. I am interested in facts, not in tabloid or internet perception. In the Polanski case, there are facts.

"By their friends ye shall know them." Ah, what a dramatic conclusion!

Now if you came up with 5 names from that list that served jail for child molestation, your argument would be relevant. If you can´t, you´re just a sensation-seeker. About as lowly as a Sun tabloid journo.
__________________
hiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #259
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I didn't know she had that standing. I don't mean that as any offense to you.
She had that black face incident with Ted Danson and possibly some other situations.
Well, I'm British - and she's certainly considered that over here anyway, perhaps why there was such an outcry over what she said. We don't really consider it 'her saying one controversial thing on a programme where they're always saying controversial things' - for us it's more 'whoopi goldberg saying something sexist when she's supposed to know better than that.'
I don't know anything about the black face incident..?
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #260
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I don't know anything about the black face incident..?
i had to google it because i only vaguely remembered it being mentioned in the media:
In 1993, white actor Ted Danson ignited a firestorm of controversy when he appeared at a Friars Club roast in blackface, delivering a risqué shtick written by his then love interest, African-American comedienne Whoopi Goldberg.

maybe this sounds hypocritical, but since the act was written by whoopi herself i don't see this as racist. i basically liken it to a rapper singing about his "niggers" - it'd be offensive if a white person said it but not so much if a black person does.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #261
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
As to Allen, his current (as far as I know) wife SoonYi was born in 1970; the breakup with Mia Farrow happened in 1992. Farrow discovered his relationship with SoonYi after finding nude pictures of the woman, then 21. I don´t know all the details, but what I know hardly qualifies for child molestation.
I don't know that anyone accused Allen of child molestation with respect to Soon Yi Previn (the allegations were respecting another daughter that he adopted with Mia Farrow, for which Frank Sinatra famously offered to break his legs, but it was a very complicated and ugly law suit which was eventually dropped so we'll never know).

It is more that it's totally CREEPY given that from 1980, when Soon Yi was 10, Woody Allen lived with her mother and assumed a parental role with her. There are obvious power imbalance issues involved there, and he was obviously in a clear position of trust with respect to a child. So that is what I would gather most people find objectionable with respect to this particular relationship. And I don't blame them either.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #262
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
I just read of Mitterand, hanging with gay men or gay boys in Thailand - also Mitterand hasn´t been convicted tried or served a sentence for child molestation as of yet. I am interested in facts, not in tabloid or internet perception. In the Polanski case, there are facts.
He wasn't 'hanging out', he was engaging in 'sex tourism' - which is a euphemism for abusing kids. In other words, a wealthy westerner abusing underprivileged kids in a developing country just because he could get away with it, and unfortunately it looks like he has, unless some vigilante tracks him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
Now if you came up with 5 names from that list that served jail for child molestation, your argument would be relevant.
I don't need to, I just need to demonstrate that some of Polanski's high profile celebrity and political defenders are persons of deeply questionable moral values. Which I've already done.

You asked the question earlier as to why Polanski was arrested at this particular juncture, so long after the offense - I suggest that question be turned it on its head. Why did he manage escape justice for so long, is perhaps the more relevant question. The answer suggests itself.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #263
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,998
Local Time: 06:21 AM

Yes that would be a great move for Obama right now

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...=hp:mainpromo6
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #264
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 04:21 AM
Thank goodness for sensible prosecutors:

LA prosecutors argue Roman Polanski's victim can't seek dismissal of decades-old sex case | San Francisco Examiner
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #265
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,998
Local Time: 06:21 AM
Yippee!

BERN, Switzerland — The Swiss government declared renowned film director Roman Polanski a free man on Monday after rejecting a U.S. request to extradite him on a charge of having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

The Swiss mostly blamed U.S. authorities for failing to provide confidential testimony about Polanski's sentencing procedure in 1977-1978.

The stunning decision could end the United States' three-decade pursuit of Polanski, unless he travels to another country that would be willing to apprehend him and weigh sending him to Los Angeles. France, where he has spent much of his time, does not extradite its own citizens, and the public scrutiny over Switzerland's deliberations may dissuade other nations from making such a spectacular arrest.

The Swiss government said it had sought confidential testimony given on Jan. 26 by Roger Gunson, the Los Angeles attorney in charge of the original prosecution against Polanski. Washington rejected the request.

"Mr. Polanski can now move freely. Since 12:30 today he's a free man," Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf declared.

Authorities in Los Angeles and Washington cannot appeal the Swiss decision. Sandy Gibbons, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, declined to comment.
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth, Sky, Fire and Rain - Epilogue (29/6/08) Alisaura PLEBA Archive 7 07-04-2008 09:48 PM
The Edge of Reason EdgeIsTooSexy PLEBA Archive 13 12-04-2007 06:40 PM
I finally got caught bonosloveslave Zoo Confessionals 24 11-07-2003 07:20 PM
My procrastinating has finally caught up with me... Naya Zoo Confessionals 4 04-27-2002 12:44 AM
i am irresponsible and its finally caught up with me zooropamanda Zoo Confessionals 6 04-12-2002 03:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com