I'm glad Roman Polanski finally got caught! - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
let's just refresh our memories on what diamond said.



doesn't sound remotely similar to what he's trying to justify saying now.
with the icon, in conjunction with the statement at hand, a caveman would be able to decipher my original intent.

"jest"-say it.



<>
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:32 AM   #152
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Diamond, you are this forums Ray Comfort. Some of the crap you say angers me to no end, but when I take a step back, you really dont seem like a bad dude
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 01:48 AM
believe it or not, i am one of diamond's biggest fans.

and not least because he flirts with me to no end.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #154
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Diamond, you are this forums Ray Comfort. Some of the crap you say angers me to no end, but when I take a step back, you really dont seem like a bad dude

thanks guys, glad we got things worked out..

*hugs*

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #155
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 01:48 AM
i would like to point out that diamond has stated, clearly, that marriage is subjected to cultural norms and historical context and it's meaning and composition changes over the centuries. what we might have recognized in Missouri or Utah in the mid 19th century as a marriage would not be so today.

just wanted to point that out.

thank you.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 02:48 AM
touche.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #157
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 01:48 AM
I just want to post that petition in its entirety because I'm interested in seeing whether anyone here actually thinks any of it sounds reasonable.

Quote:
We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski’s arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a film festival where he was due to receive an award for his career in filmmaking.

His arrest follows an American arrest warrant dating from 1978 against the filmmaker, in a case of morals.

Filmmakers in France, in Europe, in the United States and around the world are dismayed by this decision. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him.

By their extraterritorial nature, film festivals the world over have always permitted works to be shown and for filmmakers to present them freely and safely, even when certain States opposed this.

The arrest of Roman Polanski in a neutral country, where he assumed he could travel without hindrance, undermines this tradition: it opens the way for actions of which no one can know the effects.

Roman Polanski is a French citizen, a renown and international artist now facing extradition. This extradition, if it takes place, will be heavy in consequences and will take away his freedom.

Filmmakers, actors, producers and technicians—everyone involved in international filmmaking—want him to know that he has their support and friendship.

On September 16th, 2009, Mr. Charles Rivkin, the US Ambassador to France, received French artists and intellectuals at the embassy. He presented to them the new Minister Counselor for Public Affairs at the embassy, Ms Judith Baroody. In perfect French she lauded the Franco-American friendship and recommended the development of cultural relations between our two countries.

If only in the name of this friendship between our two countries, we demand the immediate release of Roman Polanski.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 02:48 AM
What kills me about this whole thing, from a purely personal standpoint, is these H-wood types coming out and vocally supporting Polanski are actually forcing me to agree with some pretty unpleasant right-wing types. Frankly it pisses me off...my wife is watching Nancy Grace and Nancy's just tearing into Debra Winger, and I'm agreeing with her. Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
believe it or not, i am one of diamond's biggest fans.

and not least because he flirts with me to no end.
Will you 2 get a room?




You're making me jealous.
__________________
CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #159
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
What kills me about this whole thing, from a purely personal standpoint, is these H-wood types coming out and vocally supporting Polanski are actually forcing me to agree with some pretty unpleasant right-wing types. Frankly it pisses me off...
Seriously, same here.

Quote:
The Telegraph's Michael Deacon dug up an explosive interview that Polanski gave to the novelist Martin Amis in 1979, one that includes the following quote: "If I had killed somebody, it wouldn't have had so much appeal to the press, you see? But … fucking, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to fuck young girls. Juries want to fuck young girls. Everyone wants to fuck young girls!"
Also revolting.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Seriously, same here.



Also revolting.
could it be:
Right is Right
and
Left is wrong in this instance?

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #161
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I just want to post that petition in its entirety because I'm interested in seeing whether anyone here actually thinks any of it sounds reasonable.
Good God. I'll say this in my less than perfect French: that's fucking idiotic.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 07:48 AM
I petition for film festivals in many places all year 'round. How else should the persecuted artists feel safe?
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 07:48 AM

Tilda Swinton is breaking my heart here
__________________
DrTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
could it be:
Right is Right
and
Left is wrong in this instance?

<>
Could it be that the man plead guilty, and the wrong is pretty damn clear for everyone?

I am amazed that this has turned into a left verses right issue.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 01:48 AM
I'm not sure he should be extradited, for two reasons:

1. I don't think the U.S. is going after him now for the right reasons. The girl, who is now an adult woman, has gone on the record saying that she doesn't think he should be locked up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
In a 2003 interview,[47] Samantha Geimer said, "Straight up, what he did to me was wrong. But I wish he would return to America so the whole ordeal can be put to rest for both of us." Furthermore, "I'm sure if he could go back, he wouldn't do it again. He made a terrible mistake but he's paid for it." In 2008, Geimer stated in an interview that she wishes Polanski would be forgiven, "I think he's sorry, I think he knows it was wrong. I don't think he's a danger to society. I don't think he needs to be locked up forever and no one has ever come out ever — besides me — and accused him of anything. It was 30 years ago now. It's an unpleasant memory ... (but) I can live with it."
This woman clearly would rather put the whole thing behind her than to have to re-live the whole thing again in a trial and to have her family be put through it. In my opinion, and it is my opinion, and you may think I'm 100% wrong, if the victim doesn't feel strongly about prosecuting anymore, than the justice system shouldn't go after the perpetuator too strongly. Not just for this case, for any case. If the victim doesn't want to prosecute - and this woman has said she doesn't - that's it. That's the ballgame. When a crime is committed, no one's opinion matters more than the victim(provided the victim is of sound mind); not the lawyers, not the judges, not the government officials, not the victim's family, not the accused, not the public, no one - if the victim says she doesn't want to prosecute, then the one true right reason to prosecute any crime - to get justice for the victim - is weakened. I've heard some suggestions that if he's extradited, whatever DAs/judges/other people of power are involved could conspire to sentence him to something like fifty years in prison - essentially a life sentence for him, and the diametric opposite of the victim's feeling that he doesn't need to be locked up forever - simply to make an example of him, and to be a notch in somebody's belt. In fact, from what I read, it seems like the reason he ran in the first place was because the DA at the time had conspired with/coerced/encouraged/pushed the judge at the time to hand down a much harsher sentence than the one Polanski thought he was getting when he plead guilty, likely because the DA wanted to make an example. The DA admitted as much in a documentary a few years ago, and is now on CNN claiming he lied in the documentary and that he never interfered with the case. How much you wanna bet that someone in power gave him a call and 'encouraged' him to go on TV and recant his statements from that documentary? How much? It is patently obvious to me that the U.S. is going after Polanski for all the WRONG reasons right now, and that pisses me off. These are the WRONG reasons to go after someone. The only RIGHT reason is to get justice for the victim, and it's harder to play the 'we're getting justice for Samantha' card when Samantha doesn't seem particularly interested in it anymore and has flat out said she doesn't want to prosecute.

2. This is a philosophical thing, and I know for a fact that a lot of people disagree with me, but I believe that the primary purpose of prison is to quarantine those criminals who are an ongoing threat to society, so that they can't harm innocent people again; this is as opposed to the idea that the primary purpose of prison is to punish the criminal. It's been 30 years since this incident, and there has been no sign of Roman Polanski doing anything else even remotely approaching what he did then in those last 30 years. This doesn't excuse him of the crime he committed, but it does make a convincing argument that he isn't an ongoing threat to society. If he was sick, out of control, a threat, he would've done this more than one time. Now, this is a matter that is wholly one of personal opinion, but I believe that, especially given the current overcrowded state of our prisons, if a criminal is not an ongoing threat to society, he/she does not need to go to prison. I believe Polanski regrets what he did, and it appears his victim believes that as well.

To sum up: I'm not sure Polanski should be extradited because The U.S. is going after him for the wrong reasons, the victim doesn't even want to prosecute him anymore, he doesn't appear to be a threat to society, and the DA may have coached the judge.

Finally, I need to make two things absolutely clear: I am not in any defending what Polanski did 30 years ago, and I am not in any way blaming the victim for what was done to her. These two things seem to have ignited the most anger in this tread, rightfully so, and I am not doing either. And let me also make this clear: if the victim, Samantha Geimer, felt strongly about wanting to prosecute Polanski today, then I would say he should be extradited, because then it would be for the right reason. I just don't want to see powerful people manipulate a situation for their benefit and not the victim's.
__________________

__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth, Sky, Fire and Rain - Epilogue (29/6/08) Alisaura PLEBA Archive 7 07-04-2008 09:48 PM
The Edge of Reason EdgeIsTooSexy PLEBA Archive 13 12-04-2007 06:40 PM
I finally got caught bonosloveslave Zoo Confessionals 24 11-07-2003 07:20 PM
My procrastinating has finally caught up with me... Naya Zoo Confessionals 4 04-27-2002 12:44 AM
i am irresponsible and its finally caught up with me zooropamanda Zoo Confessionals 6 04-12-2002 03:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com