If you have kids, will you give them the H1N1 Vaccine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H1N1 vaccine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
frequent hand washing and carrying around and using a bottle of purell will knock out any flu. if we're trying to help the community here, we need to be cleaner people, we don't necessarily have to load our body with vaccinations.

some people still don't wash their hands before they eat, or after going potty, or don't cover their mouth when coughing or sneezing, yet they wanna get vaccinated? that's ridic.

I think I love you :)

I'm not criticising anyone who wants to get vaccinated here at all - but I agree that a whole raft of cold/flu type illnesses could be contained if basic hand washing and hygiene were adhered to . . . harder to police in schools etc with little people especially, but we adults could go a long way in teaching them the basics! aaaaaand if workplaces were more understanding about the potential severity of flu/colds and more lenient with their workers leave etc then less people would have to adopt the whole 'soldier on' mentatlity and the spread would be inhibited somewhat as well.

I have three kids and hublet and I are still undecided - I can't seem to find enough information regarding side affects and such to satisfy me.

If the main health body here in Oz stated that all kids under the age of *insert age here* should be vaccinated then I'd think more seriously about it, but really the whole hooha surrounding the swine flu has me shaking my head just a little - (please understand I'm not dissing the gravity of people becoming ill or god forbid dying from it, not at all) - just feels a little like the media taking hold of a headline and stirring up some hysteria where none is needed.

*jumps of soapbox*

ps - Khanada Rhodes, don't know what rock I've been living under, but so sorry to hear you have been so ill . .. good to know you're back on the road to wellness though :hug:

i totally agree with you, especially about workplaces. it's ridiculous how many bosses expect you to show up every day unless you're bleeding from the eyeballs or something. imo, if you're contagious, stay home. it's dangerous for a boss to force someone with a contagious disease to come into work because then you're putting the entire department, even the entire company at risk. i look at it that if a school would send a child home due to illness, so should a company. i know in the "real world" when you're an adult you're expected to be tough and deal with being sick, but in some cases it really is best if the person stays home. i've no idea how supportive bosses are being to those who do get the flu, but i'm sure there's some who are like "if you're breathing you can work!" :rolleyes:

oh and thanks for the well wishes. :) i'm pretty much all better, just have the occasional sniffles but for the most part all i feel is tired. :lol: :hug:

^ Luckily b/c I work in IT we have the opposite, we are asked to stay home if we are sick/contagious. It's gross to be touching other people's computers and equipment when you are coughing and your nose is running. We also do phone support so for instance, I am home today b/c I've been sick for two weeks and now have a cough with no voice. No one wants to call in and hear someone coughing and sniffling into the phone with no voice.

I also get follicular impetigo pretty often, and sometimes stay home b/c of that, thanks to most websites giving the general public the belief that this is highly contagious. In my case, my body acts "allergic" to the staph bacteria that normally live on human skin, so I am not contagious (according to my doctor) but I know schools send kids home because of it.

. . . and the flow on effect for many working parents is that if their bosses are not understanding then what do they with their kids . . . yup, send em to school . . .so it really is a cycle that can be a difficult one to break.

I've been doing some fill in work at my boys primary school for the last little while and was working when the whole swine flu thing first took hold and was absolutely staggered at the number of people who sent their clearly unwell kids to school - its difficult to find a balance I know but if your kid is hacking up a lung, running a fever and is spending the day in sick bay . . . .:shrug: . . . I am really lucky in that my boss is pretty understanding (although I will stress that if I don't show up for work I don't get paid so that can be a stress but its a no brainer for me if my kids aren't well enough anyway) but I do know a lot of mums and dads who just don't have that luxury . . . there's a lot to be said for understanding and compassion but in the real world,when it comes to chasing the dollar, it just seems to fly out the window :sigh:

i totally agree with both of you. :up: i'm glad to hear you guys have sympathetic bosses. :)

another rationale i suppose for sending a sick kid to school is if the parents can't get off work even though they're sick too (or would just need to care for their child), then they have no choice. it's not like a day care would accept a sick child. i just wish bosses would be a bit more sympathetic in these cases. really, i wish some kind of law could be passed that a boss cannot fire, write up, whatever a person who is contagious and cannot work or has a child who is contagious and cannot go to school.

it seems due to the amount of press coverage swine flu's been getting, bosses are much more understanding. but what about past years when it's been regular old flu? or any other of the many contagious diseases out there? i've personally never been a victim of getting in trouble at work for something like that, but of course i know it goes on.

I am glad my work is sympathetic. It does kinda suck because we work from a collective pool of work orders and the call center, so when someone is sick everyone else HAS to do that person's work (it's not like tomorrow I will go back and be behind on my own work, someone else had to do my phone shifts and the work orders I would have completed today), but when you are sick you are sick....

it is very disappopinting that so many of you have posted that you will not get the vaccine for your kids.

Kids are dying, the vaccine is safe and it works.

In this day and and age it is easy to get a lot of information, especially with the internet.

It does not take a genius to shift though the bullshit and get down to the credible data.

it is very disappopinting that so many of you have posted that you will not get the vaccine for your kids.

Kids are dying, the vaccine is safe and it works.

In this day and and age it is easy to get a lot of information, especially with the internet.

It does not take a genius to shift though the bullshit and get down to the credible data.

it's very disappointing that old people these days are so full of their own righteous opinions.

Are you really disappointed, do you really care about what I think or believe?

There are very serious health risks here, children are at great risk.
I have not found any credible side effects danger.

* Total influenza hospitalization rates for laboratory-confirmed influenza are higher than expected for this time of year for adults and children. And for children 5-17 and adults 18-49 years of age, hospitalization rates from April – October 2009 exceed average flu season rates (for October through April).

* The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and now exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 19 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 16 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1 and 3 were unsubtyped influenza A and likely to be 2009 H1N1. A total of 76 laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1 pediatric deaths have been reported to CDC since April.

CDC H1N1 Flu | Situation Update

it sucks. we can't even get the normal flu vaccine for our 6 month old because they've run out. and we're in America, not some less important country.

frequent hand washing and carrying around and using a bottle of purell will knock out any flu. if we're trying to help the community here, we need to be cleaner people, we don't necessarily have to load our body with vaccinations.

Purell is a really, really terrible idea and I can't believe the extent to which it is advocated constantly.

It has played a significant role in the creation of super bugs, and on top of that, overdries your skin, making it susceptible to infection. Nevermind the fact that it kills microbes indiscriminately, so that it completely decimates the commensal bacterial layer.

I honestly cringe every time I see people squirting it all over their hands. If you wash your hands well and you wash them often, that's sufficient unless you are working around exclusively immuno-suppressed people. Which most of us are not.

the vaccine is safe and it works.

When there is evidence of that from completed clinical trials on children, then that will be a true statement.

I'm no genius, so I'd like to see the credible data you found on safety and efficacy of the H1N1 vaccine in children.

The Europeans apparently aren't recommending the vaccines for kids unless they have pre-existing conditions that make them more at risk.

:shrug:

Purell is a really, really terrible idea and I can't believe the extent to which it is advocated constantly.

It has played a significant role in the creation of super bugs, and on top of that, overdries your skin, making it susceptible to infection. Nevermind the fact that it kills microbes indiscriminately, so that it completely decimates the commensal bacterial layer.

I honestly cringe every time I see people squirting it all over their hands. If you wash your hands well and you wash them often, that's sufficient unless you are working around exclusively immuno-suppressed people. Which most of us are not.

water taps aren't available everywhere you go. i didn't say to use hand sanitizer every single time you want to wash your hands. it's not a bad idea to have a small bottle on hand when there are no taps nearby. i.e. waiting in line all day for a u2 show and the only "washrooms" available are the gross plastic ones that don't flush.

Are you really disappointed, do you really care about what I think or believe?

There are very serious health risks here, children are at great risk.
I have not found any credible side effects danger.

CDC H1N1 Flu | Situation Update

Your implying that anyone with a contrary view is somehow an idiot is unfair. I'm actually on the fence with vaccinations, but am not getting them for my kids at this stage for a hundred reasons. Immunisations, I'm pretty much all for - and this is despite spending 25 years of my life believing my diabetes was the result of my MMR, DiP or DTP when it really probably wasn't. I was just unlucky. These flu vaccines, I'm reserving a final decision on.

Is it just Purell, or all brands of sanitiser? My local hospital, which is not some overblown triage facility, uses them extensively and everywhere for staff and visitors alike. I can't recall the brand.

When there is evidence of that from completed clinical trials on children, then that will be a true statement.

There are at least 172 parents here in America that are burying their dead children that would give anything to be able to go back and give their child a H1N1 vaccination. I am not saying all of them believed the unfounded hype about risk outweighing benefit. The vaccine may not been available.
The benefit, a live child does not compare to the risks, which is just hearsay, where are real reports of any harm from this vaccine.

Many of these children had no underlying health issues at all. and some of them perished as quickly as a day or two, and if a vaccine was available these would have been needless deaths.

I'm no genius, so I'd like to see the credible data you found on safety and efficacy of the H1N1 vaccine in children.

I do not advocate getting every shot that comes down the pike. I am suspicious of large pharmaceutical companies greed factor.

and yes,
Unfortunately we have things like the Gardasil incident where the benefit may not have outweigh the risk. I believe some young girls have died.

This is not Gardasil, I looked and could only find hearsay about side effects.

I am aware there is a large movement of parents that reject all vaccines,
these parents have fallen victim to fear mongering and zealots.

These dead children deserved more 'due diligence' form their parents.
They never had a chance.
Yes, these parents can sit around and mope and say, "Well, I read on a blog it might not be safe, what was I to do?

We were on the fence about the vaccine until we heard that a friend lost a 5 year old from H1N1 complications. Our kids are getting their vaccines this week.

We were on the fence about the vaccine until we heard that a friend lost a 5 year old from H1N1 complications. Our kids are getting their vaccines this week.

My cousins son got H1N1 and is currently on a ventilator. They think he'll pull through and will hopefully be off the ventilator by Tues. But it was touch and go for awhile.

I wept when I heard about it. As a father myself, just thinking of what my cousin was going through broke my heart. (and he's been through so much already--he lost his mom to cancer just four years ago).

This flu, while hardly approaching 1918 levels, is quite serious.

Unfortunately we have things like the Gardasil incident where the benefit may not have outweigh the risk. I believe some young girls have died.

This is not Gardasil

The misinformation on Gardasil is also rather stunning, though unsurprising.

gardasil.jpg

That is why i posted I believe some girls have died.

The misinformation machines are almost unstoppable

but back to the risk vs. benefit scale

Gardasil's benefit appears to outweigh any risks

Not getting H1N1 vaccine is one of the most irresponsible things a parent can do to their children.

I am watching 60 minutes right now, a teen age weight lifter and football player named Luke, 100 % healthy is fighting for his life.

They just said the virus can travel ten feet. Wash your hands? don't get a vaccine and die.

Why would someone wash their hands and not want to get the vaccine?

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml

Also, at some college, some students were playing beer pong.

They all got H1N1. Think about your behavior !

Please, get the vaccine. The thing with any flu is you don't know what your body will do. For some people it's super mild, for some it sucks royally, for some it's deadly. There are many reports of pneumonias being contracted as a result of this flu and those are deadly. In fact my coworker recently spent 11 days in the ICU due to a pneumonia contracted with H1N1.

Also, the deaths related to this flu aren't just children but teenagers and young adults, so please get your older children vaccinated as well.

I will be getting vaccinated as I work at a university and am in contact with students.

it would be interesting to see the reasons for not getting the vaccine.

perhaps they will source Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh

Beck, Limbaugh fomenting fear about H1N1 vaccine

In recent days, both Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh have suggested that the H1N1 flu vaccine may be unsafe and questioned the Obama administration's recommendation that Americans get vaccinated, with Limbaugh asserting that "[y]ou'll be healthier" if you don't believe what the government says and Beck suggesting that the vaccine may be "deadly." However, health experts have repeatedly stated that the vaccine is a safe and necessary tool to combat the virus, and that, in CDC chief Thomas Frieden's words, "This flu vaccine is made as flu vaccine is made each year, by the same companies, in the same production facilities, with the same procedures, with the same safety safeguards" and "[t]hat enables us to have a high degree of confidence in the safety of the vaccine."

Back
Top Bottom