No. 11 39.29%
Undecided. 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i really don't know what to do. i have a lung, erm, condition, and though i rarely get sick, nor have i ever had a flu shot before, the mortality rate for young adults (though how young? i'm now an ancient 32) does give me pause.
Check w/ Dr.? I've heard some people say "oh I cannot get my kid this shot b/c he has XXXXX!" but then other people say, "My kid has XXXX so he definitely needs to get the vaccine rather than the actual flu."

Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well, my cousin's son wasn't media hype. I don't think he was on the news at all.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
I've not known anybody to die from the regular flu. Though I know a number of people who have had H1N1 and are still alive. Odds are odds are odds.

at my age I have had the flu a few times, and managed to pull them all ok
some bouts were worse

I have probably had 10 + flu vaccines over the years, I never got the flu the seasons I got vaccinated, I do not believe all the vaccines were bullet-proof

but I do believe they helped me avoided a few flus.

I don't recall if I got the one swine flu vaccine in 76, that was a problem so many people

the new strain of swine flu, h1n1, is not the same as the 76 one

this new h1n1 vaccine is much different than the 76 one

I believe the manufacture of this vaccine is much different than in 76

yes, I do trust the CDC more than Glenn Beck of Rush Limbaugh

also, if a vaccine can help one or a child avoid being terribly sick and maybe even being hospitalize, and spreading this to dozens of more people,
than why not just get the vaccine?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #79
Refugee

^^To everything you said!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #80
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I keep reading this but from people who have had it this hasn't really been the case. Some healthy people are getting flattened for over a week. Otherwise healthy kids and young adults dying. Doesn't sound really "mild" to me.
Well if that's the case that makes sense, but what I heard is that the people that get 'caught' by this flu all had already been weakened by other diseases. Besides that, the regular flu victims, old people and young children, aren't affected by this disease much. Which I still think is rather strange.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Well if that's the case that makes sense, but what I heard is that the people that get 'caught' by this flu all had already been weakened by other diseases. Besides that, the regular flu victims, old people and young children, aren't affected by this disease much.
Not sure how to respond, since this is still contrary to what I've been told. The CDC recommends the vaccine for pregnant women, anyone with babies 6 months or under (presumably because the baby itself cannot get the vaccine, but it's to protect them), and people 6 months to 24 years. These are all young people. The only mention of people who are already have compromised immune systems is the older age group (25-64).
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #82
Galeonbroad

Which is what confuses me. There are so many contradictory statements it makes either of them hard to believe for me. It's all so vague.

Lately there's no news at all about H1N1 in my country..though I'm not sure if that means it's not around or it's no longer newsworthy...
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Which is what confuses me. There are so many contradictory statements it makes either of them hard to believe for me. It's all so vague.
Exactly, which is why I trust the CDC and doctors rather than media hype and .com articles.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #84
New Yorker

Quote:

Lately there's no news at all about H1N1 in my country..though I'm not sure if that means it's not around or it's no longer newsworthy...
Our news is full of H1N1 and I'm so confused. I have never had a vaccine for the normal flu but when I have the flu the symptoms are pretty severe. ( when I was a child a had a bad pneumonia and I suffered so many years from it). So I think I could be one of those persons who get a very bad form of the swine flu. But I still dunno what to do.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung_girl View Post
But I still dunno what to do.
I plan to just ask my Doc. If I didn't trust my Doc, I wouldn't be paying her for health services I have to go in soon anyway so I'll see what vacc's are recommended. Last year I needed a tetanus and she recommended I get one that is also for whooping cough/pertussis.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #86
New Yorker

gah, I just came back from the hospital ( i have an insect sting) and while waiting two people with swine flu came in and a lot of people on phone were asking if they are still testing h1n1. but they don't do it anymore you just have have to come in and get the medcine. I decided to wait a few weeks cause i want to know more about the side effects but I'm scared now haaha!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

I'm finding a bit more clarity with this issue. I was confused because I didn't understand why people healthy people were dying from this flu.

From what I've read, quite a number of the deaths were actually from pneumonia. If left untreated, this flu compromises the immune system, allowing for other opportunistic microorganisms to invade. The h1n1 flu isn't more deadly than the seasonal flu (which is why I had said "media hype" earlier, I didn't mean to offend), but this is a particular strain that virtually nobody (unless they were born before the 1950s) has immunity to.

So, some of these deaths are from the pneumonia complications. What really freaked me out was that, see, people typically get pneumonia from the Streptococcus virus. But now I've read that Staph aureus and MRSA had also been a cause of the pneumonia infection leading to death as well. S. aureus is some serious shit.

This has really changed my view of the H1N1 vaccine. Now I'm leaning toward getting it. I don't want no S. aureus.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

i was informed by my doctor that i am a "high risk" person due to my shredded lungs, so i should absolutely get the H1N1 vaccination.

now, if i could only find it ...
Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #89
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:18 AM
i hope you can find a vaccine, irvine.

i hope doctor's offices have been screening those who request the vaccine and giving it to high risk groups first, somehow.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Our H1N1 vaccine clinics have all been cancelled except for those at high risk.