Undecided. 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #46
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
yeah, they're doing that at a Walgreens near me too. something about taking my 6 month old to a Walgreens doesn't sit right with me though.
oh, i understand completely. i hope you can get her the vaccine somehow.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:04 PM
The Europeans apparently aren't recommending the vaccines for kids unless they have pre-existing conditions that make them more at risk.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Purell is a really, really terrible idea and I can't believe the extent to which it is advocated constantly.

It has played a significant role in the creation of super bugs, and on top of that, overdries your skin, making it susceptible to infection. Nevermind the fact that it kills microbes indiscriminately, so that it completely decimates the commensal bacterial layer.

I honestly cringe every time I see people squirting it all over their hands. If you wash your hands well and you wash them often, that's sufficient unless you are working around exclusively immuno-suppressed people. Which most of us are not.
water taps aren't available everywhere you go. i didn't say to use hand sanitizer every single time you want to wash your hands. it's not a bad idea to have a small bottle on hand when there are no taps nearby. i.e. waiting in line all day for a u2 show and the only "washrooms" available are the gross plastic ones that don't flush.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #49
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Are you really disappointed, do you really care about what I think or believe?

There are very serious health risks here, children are at great risk.
I have not found any credible side effects danger.

CDC H1N1 Flu | Situation Update
Your implying that anyone with a contrary view is somehow an idiot is unfair. I'm actually on the fence with vaccinations, but am not getting them for my kids at this stage for a hundred reasons. Immunisations, I'm pretty much all for - and this is despite spending 25 years of my life believing my diabetes was the result of my MMR, DiP or DTP when it really probably wasn't. I was just unlucky. These flu vaccines, I'm reserving a final decision on.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #50
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Purell is a really, really terrible idea and I can't believe the extent to which it is advocated constantly.

It has played a significant role in the creation of super bugs, and on top of that, overdries your skin, making it susceptible to infection. Nevermind the fact that it kills microbes indiscriminately, so that it completely decimates the commensal bacterial layer.

I honestly cringe every time I see people squirting it all over their hands. If you wash your hands well and you wash them often, that's sufficient unless you are working around exclusively immuno-suppressed people. Which most of us are not.
Is it just Purell, or all brands of sanitiser? My local hospital, which is not some overblown triage facility, uses them extensively and everywhere for staff and visitors alike. I can't recall the brand.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
When there is evidence of that from completed clinical trials on children, then that will be a true statement.
There are at least 172 parents here in America that are burying their dead children that would give anything to be able to go back and give their child a H1N1 vaccination. I am not saying all of them believed the unfounded hype about risk outweighing benefit. The vaccine may not been available.
The benefit, a live child does not compare to the risks, which is just hearsay, where are real reports of any harm from this vaccine.

Many of these children had no underlying health issues at all. and some of them perished as quickly as a day or two, and if a vaccine was available these would have been needless deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
I'm no genius, so I'd like to see the credible data you found on safety and efficacy of the H1N1 vaccine in children.

I do not advocate getting every shot that comes down the pike. I am suspicious of large pharmaceutical companies greed factor.

and yes,
Unfortunately we have things like the Gardasil incident where the benefit may not have outweigh the risk. I believe some young girls have died.

This is not Gardasil, I looked and could only find hearsay about side effects.

I am aware there is a large movement of parents that reject all vaccines,
these parents have fallen victim to fear mongering and zealots.

These dead children deserved more 'due diligence' form their parents.
They never had a chance.
Yes, these parents can sit around and mope and say, "Well, I read on a blog it might not be safe, what was I to do?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^
Old 10-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #53
Refugee

We were on the fence about the vaccine until we heard that a friend lost a 5 year old from H1N1 complications. Our kids are getting their vaccines this week.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

scare tactics. propaganda

do you want to turn your kid into an autistic ?

www.theTRUTHaboutH1N1vaccines.com
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Mama View Post
We were on the fence about the vaccine until we heard that a friend lost a 5 year old from H1N1 complications. Our kids are getting their vaccines this week.
My cousins son got H1N1 and is currently on a ventilator. They think he'll pull through and will hopefully be off the ventilator by Tues. But it was touch and go for awhile.

I wept when I heard about it. As a father myself, just thinking of what my cousin was going through broke my heart. (and he's been through so much already--he lost his mom to cancer just four years ago).

This flu, while hardly approaching 1918 levels, is quite serious.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Unfortunately we have things like the Gardasil incident where the benefit may not have outweigh the risk. I believe some young girls have died.

This is not Gardasil
The misinformation on Gardasil is also rather stunning, though unsurprising.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

That is why i posted I believe some girls have died.

The misinformation machines are almost unstoppable

but back to the risk vs. benefit scale

Gardasil's benefit appears to outweigh any risks

Not getting H1N1 vaccine is one of the most irresponsible things a parent can do to their children.

I am watching 60 minutes right now, a teen age weight lifter and football player named Luke, 100 % healthy is fighting for his life.

They just said the virus can travel ten feet. Wash your hands? don't get a vaccine and die.

Why would someone wash their hands and not want to get the vaccine?

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60mi...main3415.shtml

Also, at some college, some students were playing beer pong.

They all got H1N1. Think about your behavior !
Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Please, get the vaccine. The thing with any flu is you don't know what your body will do. For some people it's super mild, for some it sucks royally, for some it's deadly. There are many reports of pneumonias being contracted as a result of this flu and those are deadly. In fact my coworker recently spent 11 days in the ICU due to a pneumonia contracted with H1N1.

Also, the deaths related to this flu aren't just children but teenagers and young adults, so please get your older children vaccinated as well.

I will be getting vaccinated as I work at a university and am in contact with students.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

i was just told that i have to write a paper for my microbiology class on why we should/shouldn't get the h1n1 vaccine
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

it would be interesting to see the reasons for not getting the vaccine.

perhaps they will source Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh

Quote:
Beck, Limbaugh fomenting fear about H1N1 vaccine

In recent days, both Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh have suggested that the H1N1 flu vaccine may be unsafe and questioned the Obama administration's recommendation that Americans get vaccinated, with Limbaugh asserting that "[y]ou'll be healthier" if you don't believe what the government says and Beck suggesting that the vaccine may be "deadly." However, health experts have repeatedly stated that the vaccine is a safe and necessary tool to combat the virus, and that, in CDC chief Thomas Frieden's words, "This flu vaccine is made as flu vaccine is made each year, by the same companies, in the same production facilities, with the same procedures, with the same safety safeguards" and "[t]hat enables us to have a high degree of confidence in the safety of the vaccine."