If one's race truly isn't an issue....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

October1977

I'd like to present a question and receive honest, heartfelt, open minded answers or comments.

I did not vote for Obama nor did I want to vote for John McCain. So, know that as you read my question/statements. However I do support President Obama as my President and wish him well. And I was truly moved by today's events although I am on every Inaugaration Day as it is a stark reminder of the freedom we have here and the men and women who have served, in the military or privately and publicly, to secure and bring about such a day as today. It is truly a remarkable event.

Saying that, my question for you is philosophical and hopefully you find it logical. If race is not an issue - as I don't believe it should be - why is it important that President Obama is the first black President? At first, you might be astounded that I ask such a question but really...other than what I believe to be small sects of the American population (white supremacist ignorant wackjobs, etc.) I truly believe racism in the mainstream to be dead and it's obvioius to me that we are all equal and have been treated equally for years, white, black, whatever.

Am I being naive? It just seems race is being brought to the forefront when it shouldn't be. President Obama earned his chance to be President and I don't think his race should be brought up at all...if race shouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts?

because we have a long history of legally sanctioned discrimination on the basis of race that reverberates to this day. :shrug:

it's a victory for all of us when people from traditionally marginalized groups succeed. just a generation ago, they would never have succeeded because of their race.

I don't think racism had died in the mainstream. It's just more subtle these days than it used to be. What is important about today is hopefully we are taking a big step to ensuring that one day (not tomorrow, maybe years from now) that racism will indeed die in the mainstream.

Slavery ended in 1865

We took care of Civil Rights in 1968

why are we still talking about race?

with the election of Obama
the conversation should be permanently closed.

Do some still want to use race for leverage and advantage?

because we have a long history of legally sanctioned discrimination on the basis of race that reverberates to this day. :shrug:

it's a victory for all of us when people from traditionally marginalized groups succeed. just a generation ago, they would never have succeeded because of their race.

Well, of course, that is the obvious answer. And I do agree with you. I suppose at the heart of it, I long for a day when it's no longer an issue at all.

why not address the question?

instead of deflecting to the race of the questioner?

Because I think it's a question built on a false premise.

If somebody asked me, "Why is the sky green?" how should that be answered?

why not address the question?

OK...

"I truly believe racism in the mainstream to be dead and it's obvioius to me that we are all equal and have been treated equally for years, white, black, whatever. Am I being naive?"

....yes.

I'd say that even if one believes that race is not an issue, the election of the country's first black President is vastly important because the country has not proven that race is not important. This is a massive step in the right direction.

one way in which race matters ...

41 shots and
Lena gets her son ready for school
She says "on these streets, Charles
You've got to understand the rules
If an officer stops you
Promise me you'll always be polite,
that you'll never ever run away
Promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight"

Is it a gun, is it a knife
Is it a wallet, this is your life
It ain't no secret
It ain't no secret
No secret my friend
You can get killed just for living in
Your American skin

Because I think it's a question built on a false premise.

If somebody asked me, "Why is the sky green?" how should that be answered?

What is the false premise? That racism is dead? If it weren't for the white vote, Obama wouldn't be president. In my mind that proves that race is no longer an issue. What? Do you think white people voted for him because he is black? No, they voted because he presented logical arguments, won their hearts, and they put their trust in him to lead our country. Race had nothing to do with the quote/unquote white vote. However sad it is that some white people voted against Obama because he is black it is equally as sad and troubling that some are viewing his win and this day as vindication for their bitterness against white people.

I am sure some are responding as I am so I'll sit back and read some of the responses before responding any further, but know I mean this respectfully and also respect your opinions even if disagreeing with me.

Are there people in Mississippi that have an IQ over 35? If so, I'd like to meet one.

That's a bit much.

It's important because it's not like the Jim Crow laws and slavery were hundreds of years in the past. Less than 50 years ago, there were laws to discriminate. That's not a long time. Whatever your thoughts on the state of racism today, you have to admit that what's going on today does not erase what happened mere decades ago.

There were people there today who lived through it. Tell them it's not important.

That's a bit much.

It's important because it's not like the Jim Crow laws and slavery were hundreds of years in the past. Less than 50 years ago, there were laws to discriminate. That's not a long time. Whatever your thoughts on the state of racism today, you have to admit that what's going on today does not erase what happened mere decades ago.

There were people there today who lived through it. Tell them it's not important.

You know, I have to say, that's an absolutely great point. There are a lot of people who suffered a lot of pain back then that are still alive today and I guess I am being a little naive. To answer other's questions, yes, I'm white. But I was raised by parents who were once scolded for calling a black man 'sir'. I wasn't raised in a racist home and quite frankly, it wasn't until I was an adult that I even heard that story. We were first to look at each other as human, then American. And then as I get older, I really just see human.

Again, I agree and am moved by the day. But I wish it weren't an issue, and I wasn't just being naive to assume.

What is the false premise? That racism is dead? If it weren't for the white vote, Obama wouldn't be president. In my mind that proves that race is no longer an issue.

Well, it doesn't in mine. At all.

I remember reading a story by an Obama canvasser in one of the southern states. She knocked on the door and a woman answered. When asked who she is voting for, the woman said, she didn't know, she hadn't yet asked her husband. At that point the husband came to the door and said something to the effect of "I lost my job and we're gonna lose this house, so whatever, I'm voting for the ******."

According to you, he's not a racist.

You are.

It's a wonderful wish to think that race doesn't matter, and I do think it's a question that white people raise more than black people. You need to read a little more widely, travel a little more and talk to a wider variety of people.

Then ask your question again.

Well, you make assumptions that I haven't already. But that's okay, I've made a few assumptions in here myself.

Well, it doesn't in mine. At all.

I remember reading a story by an Obama canvasser in one of the southern states. She knocked on the door and a woman answered. When asked who she is voting for, the woman said, she didn't know, she hadn't yet asked her husband. At that point the husband came to the door and said something to the effect of "I lost my job and we're gonna lose this house, so whatever, I'm voting for the ******."

This story makes me sad for so many different reasons. And for some reason reminds me of this story: The day after the election and after spending the evening in Grant Park I walked into my school and found a trio of African American boys chanting, "We gotta nigga in the White House, oh boy! We gotta nigga in the White House!"

After I stopped them I locked myself in my office for a minute and blinked back tears. I was so frustrated. Seeing that story renews my frustration. :(

If race was like technology... then election of Obama as president was like humans reaching the moon. This was sort of the high point of the race issue.

first, I think you have been posting in here long enough to have seen me post more than once that I believe race to be towards the top of the list of things that are still a problem in this country.

second, I did find it odd that u2best was making an argument against racism,
(having a bias against members of a race) by showing bias towards the citizens of Mississippi.

Back
Top Bottom