If one's race truly isn't an issue.... - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Unbelievable.


but sean, Obama won!

that means that racism doesn't exist anymore.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #92
New Yorker
 
Anji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middlesex, UK
Posts: 2,683
Local Time: 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
because we have a long history of legally sanctioned discrimination on the basis of race that reverberates to this day.

it's a victory for all of us when people from traditionally marginalized groups succeed. just a generation ago, they would never have succeeded because of their race.
Very true! A lot of Americans would NEVER vote Obama as to them he is the N word

A couple of my colleagues over there were saying over my dead body will I vote for some N

I am a bit of a Saddo and have been watching Big Brother here in the UK, there were three American's in it this year. La Toya Jackson, Verne Troyer and Coolio.

They showed Obama taking over the presidency to the house. Now Coolio has been this big double hard bastard Mother F*** all the way through it, and quite frankly an irritating little shit. But after watching that, he cried like a baby!

He went on to tell the house that it is a proud day for blacks in America. His Great grandfather bought the family out of slavery and renamed themselves. Watching him watch that and break down like he did actually upset me

Makes you think
__________________

__________________
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji View Post
Very true! A lot of Americans would NEVER vote Obama as to them he is the N word

A couple of my colleagues over there were saying over my dead body will I vote for some N
I found that most people I know who had such racist, bigoted opinions of him actually were more hung up on his middle name being Hussein. They openly admitted they feared he had ties to Islam and Muslim extremists simply because his middle name is Hussein.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #94
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 10:06 PM
I sincerely hope his business tanks, after this.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier
 
~BrightestStar~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Posts: 35,735
Local Time: 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Obama's only half black. His mother is white and his father really wasn't around for him, so you could almost say that he was raised "white".

But, I believe it's tougher to be bi-racial in the US then it is to even be black because then you have two races who might have a tough time accepting you.

For most of the 232 years of America's existence, black Americans haven't exactly been treated the greatest, so it is kind of important that a person of color be elected president of the US.
I've only skimmed this thread, so forgive me if this has been brought up before.

But in relation to this, leading up to the election, and even now after the fact, I've talked to a number of my friends and school mates of various backgrounds, and what I found most surprising was the number of times I was told "he's not really black". While I know he is of a mixed background, people still tend to grouped/classifiy based on skin colour not genealogies- and despite his mixed parentage - 50 or 100 years ago, he like anyone else of darker colour would not have been served in restaurants, would have been discriminated against, etc..
The comments from my friends seemed like a reverse racism, that he's not black enough for them - also somewhat humourous since many of them were not black themselves, but asian or indian.
I just found it very interesting.
__________________
~BrightestStar~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #96
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 02:06 PM
i don't even see Obama as a black man (unless you see him dance, oh yeah!) but I don't think its like 'omg a black man is in the white house instead of outside pickin cotton!' because there are plenty of black people in positions of power (Condie for one) but more thats its like if he was asian, or american indian, its a characteristic of who he is. He is the first black man as president, but to me I don't think its like, now we're gonna see fiddy cent and his crew hanging out at the white house or anything.
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #97
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:06 PM
The Policies, Not the Race

I've read a couple of threads in here about President Obama's race and didn't want this post to get lost in the mix. I was listening to FM radio on my way back to work the other morning (which is rare come to think of it, I usually don't listen to FM) and they were reading letters / e-mails about Obama being half-white and that it means he's not truly the first black president because he's not 100% black.

What a rediculous thing to be talking about. But if we're going to, let us look at it this way: Because of his African father (not a great grandparent or other distant relative), and his white, American mother, President Obama is actually more "African American" than most of my black friends. I've talked about this with a couple of them and we laughed about it and they ultimately agreed. And interestingly enough, an acquaintance of ours is a white South African who considers herself to be African American. Bottom line is I find it ironic that either way you slice it, regardless of color of skin, the man is truly African American, going by the parameters I set above, and is therefore the first African American president.

But I think we should simply get past the race issue, even if some fail to, and concentrate on his policies - which I'm pretty worried about.

I didn't vote for President Obama and I wasn't thrilled about voting for John McCain. But I find the race card a ridiculous one to be played in the current climate we find ourselves in in America - and any other climate quite frankly. And I've heard people on both sides of the political aisle playing that card - whether it be the discussion about his having a white mother (mostly, in my opinion and limited experience, coming from those who are white who didn't vote for him), people thinking he was only elected because he is black or those black people who choose to use Obama being elected to get back at the general white race - because of bitterness or history, etc. Either way, I agree with a line or two I read in one of the other posts - it simply doesn't matter. The decisions he makes which will affect all of us to some degree, and the people he surrounds himself with to help make decisons, I think these are the things we should be using some of these forums for.

Thoughts?
__________________
StoneyGlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 11:06 PM
Yeah, I'm going to be snarky.

You think it's ridiculous to discuss Obama's race, but then spend your entire post doing just that.

If you want to discuss his policies instead of his race then do it.
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #99
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Yeah, I'm going to be snarky.

You think it's ridiculous to discuss Obama's race, but then spend your entire post doing just that.

If you want to discuss his policies instead of his race then do it.
That's right (though your point is clear). To me, the second paragraph trumps any other argument about his race...color of skin need not matter, the man is African American...and so I made the quick argument that I thought trumps any other...like trying to find the one sentence that would end a ridiculous conversation. And I agree, that paragraph probably opened the door to discuss his race even further as there are surely those who disagree. So, point made. Loud and clear. The overall theme however was to end the race discussion, however unsuccessful the attempt may have been.
__________________
StoneyGlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BrightestStar~ View Post
what I found most surprising was the number of times I was told "he's not really black"..
Oh, I know all about this. I've been "not really black" my whole life. When I was a kid it was my white friends who thought they were complimenting me.

THEM: "Ha Ha, look at those niggers in that fan, ha ha--Oh, Sean, don't worry we don't mean you. You're not really black."

ME: "Ummm. . .thank you?!?"

When I was in college, it was my black friends who used it as a critique:

THEM: "Why you trying to talk all white?"

ME: "I'm not TRYING to talk like anything. This is just how I talk. . . "
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
i don't even see Obama as a black man (unless you see him dance, oh yeah!) but I don't think its like 'omg a black man is in the white house instead of outside pickin cotton!' because there are plenty of black people in positions of power (Condie for one) but more thats its like if he was asian, or american indian, its a characteristic of who he is. He is the first black man as president, but to me I don't think its like, now we're gonna see fiddy cent and his crew hanging out at the white house or anything.
Oh boy. . .
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

that means that racism doesn't exist anymore.
Musta missed the memo on that one. . .
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Are you the same person that started that other thread about Obama and race? Cuz you sound EXACTLY like him.

Another poster brand new to Interference raising the same question in the same writing/discussion style. . .

Seems a little fishy. . .
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #104
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 02:06 PM
maybe i didn't make myself clear, i was meaning that when the meida talks about Obama being the first black person as president its not said disbelievingly, but more as a matter of fact (which it is)

or is there something deeper to this?
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #105
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 04:06 AM
Isn't it amazing how it's the ones in FYM saying "why does Obama's race mean anything?!" who are constantly bringing it up?

I think you're the ones who have an issue with it.
__________________

__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com