I went to vote today in the "Judea Room"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes,

I will later

I have pictures on my iPhone

I need to upload to my macBook pro

I hope to be able to do it tonight or tomorrow.

My polling place is in a church.

IMG_3492.jpg

Saint James Episcopalian Church in Newport Beach.

The polls opened at 7 a m. I got there at 6:55 a m.

I was second in line.

I have been voting there for years.

I have lived at the same address for 20 years.

IMG_0025.jpg

Last time I went to vote

at the anti-Gay church

my name had been purged

it took me 30 minutes to do a 'provincial ballot'

I have to go into a gay-bashing church

to vote no on Proposition 8. :no:

NEWPORT BEACH, CA: St. James Priest Resigns over "Inappropriate Conduct" Charges

By David W. Virtue

The Rev. Praveen Bunyan, priest of the breakaway congregation of St. James Newport Beach has resigned from his duties as priest of the parish over allegations of "inappropriate conduct" toward a female parishioner.

A terse three paragraph statement issued by the church, said The Rev. Praveen Bunyan has resigned his position as rector of St. James Anglican Church, having confessed to the inappropriate behavior. The vestry, wardens and bishop were informed of the inappropriate conduct, promptly investigated, and then accepted the resignation last week.

The 1,200 member congregation was informed at Sunday services yesterday.

Pastoral duties are now being provided by the church's Rector Emeritus, the Rev. Canon David C. Anderson, and by its Associate Rector, the Rev. Richard Menees.

Anderson told VOL; "I will commute one or two Sundays a month to provide continuity and stability."

St. James Church in Newport Beach is one of three churches, (a fourth, St. Luke's later departed) that left the Episcopal Church in August 2004 because of differences over homosexuality and the rejection of the authority of Holy Scripture. The parishes placed themselves under the ecclesiastical authority of The Most Rev. Henry Orombi, Archbishop of the Province of Uganda who placed them immediately with The Rt. Rev. Evans M. Kisekka, Bishop of Luweero.

At that time Fr. Bunyan exhorted his parishioners to "stand by the word of God that is never changing."

I think this must win the FYM award for longest time ever taken to answer a question. :wink:

Did you find out why you got purged from the rolls?

I think this must win the FYM award for longest time ever taken to answer a question. :wink:

It took me this long to get the picture off my iPhone and into photo bucket.

And also, I was thinking of the irony of going to that church to vote no on 8.

Did you find out why you got purged from the rolls?

After I calmed down and thought about it.

I think I applied for a mail-in ballot a week earlier.

It did not arrive,
so I went Church to vote.

I think it is really strange that people have to vote in churches. Schools and other public institutions seem appropriate, but churches have agendas, and do preach them, even sometimes testing the limits of their tax-exemption.

Just another flaw in our very, very flawed voting system.

I voted at a church, as an atheist and a secularist they seem to be legitimate venues for voting, centers of communities and all.

My polling place is in a church as well. I can see the steeple from my bedroom window.

It doesn't bother me. I think I'd rather have it in a church than have to close down schools for the whole day, and then the parents are stuck with trying to find day-care for younger kids.

My polling place is in a church as well. I can see the steeple from my bedroom window.

It doesn't bother me.

What if your voting place was a Synagogue, Mosque or Scientology reading room?

Mine is a very famous anti-Gay Church
that broke away and tried to take the buildings and land.

What if your voting place was a Synagogue, Mosque or Scientology reading room?

Wouldn't bother me.

Mine is a very famous anti-Gay Church
that broke away and tried to take the buildings and land.

I missed that part of your earlier post. THAT would bother me.

The church I voted at has a big banner out front that reads Trinity United Methodist Church Is Against Torture.

I can live with that kind of church.

IMG_0099.jpg

This election we voted in "The Nazareth Room".

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

They had a nice portrait of Jesus hugging Obama as an adolescent.

That's just odd. We were in a rec room/gym type of place in the church, and I didn't notice any religious stuff.

There were several crosses on the walls, right by the polling machines.

And many depictions of Jesus.

What the heck,
this may be one of the only times Jewish people have a chance to be saved. :shrug:

I think it is really strange that people have to vote in churches. Schools and other public institutions seem appropriate, but churches have agendas, and do preach them, even sometimes testing the limits of their tax-exemption.

I agree (and I'm a Christian), but I think it's just a problem of numbers. The church where I vote holds three precincts and it was crazy yesterday. The school where my DH teaches did not have class yesterday and they have a voting precinct there. The lines were hours long! A co-worker said he also votes at a church, he drove past on the way to work and saw cars piled on the grass and kept going. It was nuts yesterday, so imagine taking out all those churches and the schools already having a several hour wait...where would people go? Secretary of State? They already have hours of waiting even with normal daily business.

We don't have any voting at churches, it's at town hall offices and schools and there was no school. I would think that if voting at a church bothers anyone they could get an absentee ballot :shrug:

I don't care where I drop my ballot, as long as it gets counted. In my home town we vote in a pub. And I wouldn't wonder if in other places it was in churches. Well, I won't turn Christian only because I voted in their building (or whatever religion it represents). And I would actually love to cast a vote on an issue such as Prop 8 at a place that is fundamentally against my position. Why not? :)

Back
Top Bottom