i kissed a man (and i didn't even throw up!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
i haven't seen "Milk" yet. we will. but, inevitably, as with BBM, these kinds of things still come up, and it's still the biggest hurdle we have to overcome. despite all the intellectual-ish, truth-y rationalizations about gender roles, and redefinitions of this or that, or even the canard of the "right of the people to vote," or the Bible, or whatever else, it really does come down to the excessive discomfort many feel at even the mildest, most PG-rated expressions of physical intimacy between two members of the same gender, especially men, that isn't meant as a lesbian-for-your-eyes-only tease to straight men. it's still the "ick" factor.

Why Can't A Kiss Just Be a Kiss?
He Locked Lips in 'Milk,' Now He Should Zip 'Em

By Hank Stuever
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 9, 2008; C01

Poor James Franco. (And poor Sean Penn. But for the moment, poor James Franco.)

In the relentless publicity interviews he's been doing for his new movie, "Milk," there's plenty to ask about his performance as the neglected lover of San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk, the gay rights martyr. So what does every interviewer -- from David Letterman to the Philippine Daily Inquirer to public radio's Terry Gross -- want to discuss most, over and over and over?

The kissing.

Wasn't it really difficult to kiss another man? Implied: Without throwing up, seeing as you're so obviously straight? What were you thinking as you kissed? Did you rehearse it? What was it liiiiiike?

Underlying the questions (and the answers) is this notion that a gay kissing scene must be the worst Hollywood job hazard that a male actor could face, including stunt work, extreme weather or sitting through five hours of special-effects makeup every day. We live comfortably, if strangely, in a pseudo-Sapphic era in which seemingly every college woman with a MySpace page has kissed another girl for the camera; but for men who kiss men, it's still the final frontier.

There's a whiff of discomfort of the Seinfeldian, "not-that-there's-anything-wrong-with-it" variety. It's a post-ironic, post-homophobic homophobia, the kind seen most weeks in "Saturday Night Live" sketches or in any Judd Apatow movie.

Judging from their interviews over the years, actors who have filmed scenes in which they have pointed a revolver at someone's head and pulled the trigger still think gay kissing is the grossest thing they've ever had to do for a movie. Franco has tried to walk a fine line of laughing along in such interviews, while pointing out that "Milk" is essentially a movie about fighting for acceptance. He's had to rehash the same kissing stories again and again:

No, he and Sean Penn did not rehearse the kissing. Yes, one scene involved more than a minute of continuous kissing with Penn on Castro Street in front of hundreds of people. Yes, there were breath mints. Yes, it was strange, but no more so than a scene in which he had to cook dinner, which he would never, ever do in real life.

"I didn't want to screw it up," Franco told Letterman on "Late Show" last week.

"See, if it's me, I'm kind of hoping I do screw it up," Letterman shot back. "That's what you want, isn't it?"

"To screw it up?" Franco asked.

"I mean, do you really want to be good at kissing a guy?" Letterman said as his audience howled with delight.

"If you wanted, I'd be willing to kiss you right now," Franco offered. (And then he kissed Dave on the cheek. Cue more screams from audience.)

"This kind of thing goes on any time there's a movie where two men kiss; and whether it's a gay audience or a mainstream audience, it's something everyone wants to know about. It's titillating," says Corey Scholibo, entertainment editor for the Advocate magazine.

"At a certain point, the joking about it . . . just isn't funny anymore," he says. "And it's disappointing for gay people. It's especially not as funny as it might have been a month ago, before Proposition 8 was passed," amending California's constitution to forbid gay marriage.

"No one ever asks Neil Patrick Harris what it's like to play a straight guy who sleeps with lots of women" on the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother," Scholibo says. "No one ever asks him how 'gross' it is to kiss a woman."

To answer this, Scholibo takes off his gay media hat and puts forth the biggest academic "duh" in cultural studies: "Everything in culture is rooted in the idea of masculinity, patriarchy . . . hegemony. You have to be disgusted by two men kissing, otherwise there goes [your] masculinity. If an actor were to say he enjoyed a scene where he kisses another man, then he's somehow less of a man."

Straight actors who've taken on gay roles usually give the same answer -- a combination of disgust, bravado (resolving to get through it and earn their paycheck) and the sure-is-weird feeling of stubble not their own.

"Soon as they say 'cut,' you spit. You want to go to a strip bar or touch the makeup girls. You feel dirty. It's a tough job," Chris Potter, an actor in Showtime's "Queer as Folk," once told MSNBC. (Another actor from that show, Hal Sparks, was more circumspect: "Definitely there's an ick factor. It's a little bit like French-kissing your dad. When you don't have the internal impetus that makes you gay in the first place, you're kind of flying blind in that area. I don't get it. But then that's even more evidence, I think, for the argument that people should be allowed to be who they are.")

Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger fielded kissing questions a thousand different ways when "Brokeback Mountain" was released in 2005. After the stubble answer ("One word," Gyllenhaal told People about Ledger's face: "Exfoliate") and the ooky answer ("That why we had stunt doubles," Ledger quipped about the love scenes to CBS's "Early Show"), after all the stale "I wish I knew how to quit you" jokes and the "Best Kiss" prize from the MTV Movie Awards, Gyllenhaal finally started telling interviewers that it was like kissing anybody else -- "like doing a love scene with a woman I'm not particularly attracted to," he told the London Telegraph.

Rex Wockner, a syndicated San Diego journalist who for nearly two decades has diligently compiled a weekly "Quote Unquote" column of people talking about gay-related topics, shared some of his favorite "kissing" quotes from celebrity interviews. The most common theme? Weirdness, revulsion and finally surrender.

Here's macho man Colin Farrell, talking about his gay love scenes in "Alexander" in 2004: "I didn't enjoy kissing the men any more than I am sure a gay guy would enjoy licking a woman's [bleep]. I find it repulsive when a guy's stubble is pressed against my lip."

Dennis Quaid told the Associated Press in 2002 about getting it just right in "Far From Heaven": "By Take 3 it was just fine, just another scene. We both went after each other like a couple of linebackers to begin with. And [director Todd Haynes] had to, like, stop . . . and say, 'Hey, it's a '50s screen kiss, okay?' "

Toby Jones seemed over the moon in 2007, discussing his kiss with Daniel Craig in "Infamous," the other Truman Capote movie: "I've never dreamt that I would kiss James Bond. . . . Now I've done it, I can say that I hope I am the first of many. . . . It was slightly abrasive, but ultimately rewarding. And neither of us are gay." (Not that there's anything -- eh, you know.)

Women actors who've kissed other women in love scenes, meanwhile, sound like an enlightened other species in interviews about kissing. For them, it's no big whoop. The men, on the other hand, talk as if they've outdone themselves and are now ready to accept their golden statue.

"These answers do often sort of seem to play to the assumed homo-discomfort of the audience," Wockner says. "I mean, a long, long time ago, I kissed girls. It wasn't gross, it just wasn't all that interesting. But kissing a guy for the first time, that felt very different. So if these actors were being fully honest, rather than going for laughs or guffaws or playing to the assumed gay-kissing phobia of the audience, [they] would instead say, 'You know, it was just sort of uninteresting, sort of not really anything. . . .' "

Kissing, after all, is kissing, and it feels great.

Unless it doesn't.

Time Out Chicago: Has every interviewer asked you about kissing Sean Penn?

James Franco: Uh, yes. [Laughs.]

Time Out Chicago: And you say it was uncomfortable because of his fake moustache?

Franco: I told that once, and yeah, I mean, I don't want to make it sound like -- I feel bad -- that kind of makes it sound like it was the worst thing in the world. It wasn't.

first off, props to James Franco. :up:

secondly, can anyone continue to argue that homophobia -- especially towards gay men -- is absolutely rooted in sexism? it has nothing, but NOTHING to do with any sort of morality or tradition or even religion. that all these things are brought in to excuse the adherence to patriarchy that has so benefited men for, you know, 5,000 years of evolution and human development.

i'll also add that, to the straight girls out there, a good test of a man is whether or not he's homophobic. if he would refuse to see, say, "Milk" or "BBM," even if you begged him to do so.

if he does refuse, he likely hates women.

It's ridiculous, and it's unfortunately the way society thinks. Hopefully, in 20 years (actually, hopefully way less than that) we'll give the idea of actors playing gay roles in movies/TV about as much thought as we now do about interracial couples in movies/TV. I'd venture to say that 30, maybe even 20 years ago, it was still considered a huge deal to have a couple of different races appear on screen. It's ridiculous and sad, but it's the truth. Also, I can't wait to see MILK, and if Sean Penn doesn't get an Oscar nomination, there will be hell to pay. And to your last question, if my boyfriend was the type of guy who refused to watch MILK or Brokeback Mountain, he'd be done. I don't do homophobes.

On a side note, Irvine, if you missed The Daily Show last night, Jon owned Mike Huckabee on gay marriage. Mike Huckabee Pt. 2 | The Daily Show | Comedy Central I was literally cheering by the end of it. It illustrates perfectly while as much as I may like the Huckster as a person, his policies would set our country back about 50 years.

On another side note, I am heavily attracted to James Franco, Sean Penn, and Emile Hirsch who is also in MILK, so my reasons for wanting to see this aren't all pure.:lol:

That's very interesting

I remember watching the Oprah show about Brokeback Mountain and all the giggling and joking made the show such a joke, and I would imagine it was very offensive to gay people. You'd think the Oprah audience might be a bit more enlightened-and that Oprah would be too. I haven't seen Milk, I want to but it's not playing yet at my local theater even though I've seen the trailer there numerous times.

Personally I see nothing "icky" about it-an icky kiss is an icky kiss straight or gay. It just depends upon the kiss, not the kissers.

I like the point that they would never ask a gay man or woman what it's like to play a straight person...

there's a very funny sketch bit from "The Big Gay Sketch Show" on LOGO where they take gay actors and try and have them consider taking straight roles and where they teach them to kiss people of the opposite gender without being revolted by it. there's a wonderful line where the acting teacher tells a very butch lesbian, "just think of all the great straight roles there are out there ... like ... Ghandi, or Erin Brockovich."

I do see the kissing Spicoli thing-that is weird

YouTube - Late Show - Prelude to a Kiss

That was awesome. I read somewhere that in his OUT magazine interview James talked about how Sean Penn texted Madonna after their kissing scene and told her that he just kissed a guy and it made him think of her.:lol: Sean and Madonna, I'm still rooting for those 2 crazy kids.:heart: Also, I want to have James Franco's baby, like now.

i'll also add that, to the straight girls out there, a good test of a man is whether or not he's homophobic. if he would refuse to see, say, "Milk" or "BBM," even if you begged him to do so.

if he does refuse, he likely hates women.

Sort of related to your statement, I made a very pleasant discovery recently. This guy I've been seeing off and on for several years now called me a few weeks ago, and told me he'd just finished e-mailing a radio station's morning host to express his displeasure with a statement the host had made. I asked what the statement was, and he started with "you know about Prop 8, right? The DJ said...". At that moment, I inwardly cringed and thought "please don't say anything stupid that's going to make me hate you." We'd never specifically discussed human rights, but he always seemed intelligent and enlightened, despite definitely being a guy's guy-type. He went on to tell me that the DJ had dissed Melissa Etheridge for a statement she made right after the Prop 8 results, and he wrote to the DJ saying that his comment was offensive, and he might want to rethink his stance. :love: Needless to say, I was very relieved. Further, I learned a few days later that the DJ had written back basically defending his comment, and now my friend has boycotted the station.

Men who are secure enough to actively stand up for the rights of others are incredibly attractive. And, I bet he'd be more than willing to see Milk. :)

I've never dated a guy who wasn't extremely progressive in this respect. I lose all interest in them if they have any latent bigotries or sexism. I also have a couple of extremely close male gay friends and my favourite roommate of all time is a lesbian, so frankly I have no interest in anybody who would not welcome these people into their lives with open arms and completely free of judgment.

I've never dated a guy who wasn't extremely progressive in this respect. I lose all interest in them if they have any latent bigotries or sexism. I also have a couple of extremely close male gay friends and my favourite roommate of all time is a lesbian, so frankly I have no interest in anybody who would not welcome these people into their lives with open arms and completely free of judgment.

I agree. My ex-boyfriend had no qualms about homosexuality, and had gay friends. All of my guy friends are the same way for the most part. 2 of my best friends from college are gay, and they became friends with all of my straight guy friends as well. It was never an issue for us. I was never worried about my girlfriends reactions, but I was curious to see how the guys would react and was pleasantly surprised. Even my grandparents who still think homosexuality is a sin (something I've been trying to change their minds about) became friends with the lesbian couple that used to live across the street from them.

i haven't seen "Milk" yet. we will. but, inevitably, as with BBM, these kinds of things still come up

I did see both films,

I think Milk may be the best film I have seen this year. ( I have not made my list yet )

Brokeback was a true story about about fictional characters.

Milk is a true story about real people.

I Brokeback attracted a younger audience than Milk, there was really no snickering or laughing I heard during Milk.

I did hear some audience reactions? during Brokeback.

I Brokeback attracted a younger audience than Milk, there was really no snickering or laughing I heard during Milk.

I did hear some audience reactions? during Brokeback.

i heard some too. it was most upsetting, though i did notice that it all stopped as the film gathered pace (as it does beautifully) and then the audience was absolutely silent the final 45 minute of the film, and particularly the last scene where Ennis visits Jack's parents -- now that scene is a masterpiece if ever i've seen one.

anyway ... i heard the snickers coming from my fellow gays, especially the scene where Alma mistakenly sees Jack and Ennis kissing. my thought was that we are so predisposed to cartoonish expressions of homosexuality -- many produced by the community itself with it's love of camp and absurdity and also the very complex defense mechanisms and ironization of the emotional aspects of our lives that many of us live through -- that the reaction to a serious, lustful scene of same-sex passion was to laugh. because we were uncomfortable. and because "the birdcage" -- which i love -- was, up until Jack and Ennis, probably the most truthful gay couple put to the big screen.

i didn't laugh, but the only time i think i had seen a graphic same-sex scene up on a screen was during one of those documentaries that i know you enjoy watching. only this documentary didn't have any girls in it.

it's kind of a sad commentary, i thought, that the response to the dramatic depiction of the emotional aspect of same-sex love was uncomfortable laughter. though that lessened as the film went on. and then we were walloped at the end. and i think that's one of the brilliant things about the film -- it puts it all up there, the bodies and the hearts, the passion and the anger, that we all know goes into deeply felt romantic relationships. the story is absolutely about homosexuality, it is about the dead life one leads when one lives in the closet and in the shadows of a lifetime of bitterness and regret. though it's universal, the story is impossible to tell with out gay characters. and i've actually haven't been able to sit through it a second time because, now that i know the ending, i find every single scene so wrenching with tragedy and shattered dreams -- after a glimpse about how life could be, recalls the famous Springsteen line, "is a dream a lie if it don't come true / or is it something worse that sends me down to the River" if we view the River as Brokeback -- that i can barely stand it.

it sounds like "Milk" is a much different film. the only negative reviews i've read of it (and they weren't all that negative) have been in the gay press, criticizing it for being too paint-by-numbers-biopic and many point to the Oscar winning doc from a few years ago, "the life and times of harvey milk" as a better film.

but i do look forward to seeing it, assuming i can finally get a weekend free of work.

Women actors who've kissed other women in love scenes, meanwhile, sound like an enlightened other species in interviews about kissing. For them, it's no big whoop. The men, on the other hand, talk as if they've outdone themselves and are now ready to accept their golden statue.

"These answers do often sort of seem to play to the assumed homo-discomfort of the audience," Wockner says.
It's probably true what it says about women actors--I really wouldn't know, as I don't follow either Hollywood or TV much--but, in light of that "assumed discomfort of the audience" comment, I do recall being in a doctor's waiting room not long after Boys Don't Cry came out and there happened to be a couple magazines, I think maybe Vogue and In Style or something like that, with Hillary Swank on the cover. I was interested in the movie, which I hadn't seen yet, so I glanced at the articles to see if they'd have any info of interest about it, and it turned out they were both basically fluff pieces with lots of posed photos and this unmistakable undertone of: "Don't worry! The REAL Hillary is a girl's girl just like you! And when not forcing herself to look all butch in the name of art, she just loves to glam it up with couture gowns, designer jewelry and soft pretty makeup, as shown here! Isn't she lovely, folks?" Which may well be true, but the emphasis on 'showing the real Hillary' struck me as rather silly; she's an actor, it was a role, and it's her job to have a strong feeling for and effectively convey the character--not herself--onscreen. Granted, that was a transgender character not a lesbian one, but I'm still kind of reminded of that when I read some of those quotes in the WaPo article.

Maybe their agents advise them to do or say this kind of "redemptive" PR stuff afterwards... :shrug: On the bright side, though, the more prominent straight actors take on gay roles, then the more audiences will grow accustomed both to seeing same-sex love (not just *wink, giggle* PDA) as an equally worthy narrative, and also to seeing that no, it's not some unfathomable imaginative leap that straight actors must grit their teeth and swallow their "pride" to achieve.

Last edited:
^ Third that.

Also Russell Crowe and Daniel Day Lewis have played gay men on screen, with lots and lots of pashing involved, in The Sum of Us and My Beautiful Laundrette respectively, and I don't remember so much controversy in these cases. Maybe because neither was a big star and both movies were more arthouse than commercial.

*damn, Daniel Day Lewis was incredibly hot in Laundrette :drool: especially in the pashing scenes...

^^ 4th 5th and 6th it . . . maybe I missed something but I was really annoyed with Letterman during that interview posted a wee bit back . . . focus on the story bud & stop fricking trivialising. . . he came across as out of touch and ever so slightly homophobic . . . :yuck:

^ think you are spot on there - both films were made before the 'stars' had hit the acting stratosphere . . . thought both films were absolutely gorgeous :up:

Remember that "gay couple needs to kiss more"? Looks like P&G went all the way there..almost

dailybeast.com

The Gays Go All the Way in Daytime
by Henry Seltzer
January 13, 2009 | 7:45am

As the World Turns took an unexpected turn this week and went where no soap opera—and few primetime shows—has dared: showing two post-coital men.

On June 1, 2007, the character of Noah Mayer made his first appearance on As the World Turns, the daytime drama that has aired daily since 1956. He was a military brat turned heartthrob, who quickly hooked up with a fellow intern at the local television station. She fell for him—and so did her openly gay best friend, Luke Snyder.

It took a while for Noah (played by Jake Silberman) to admit his own attraction to Luke (Van Hansis), who had come out the previous summer. On August 17, 2007, Noah and Luke shared a groundbreaking kiss—the first gay male kiss in the history of American daytime dramas. Overnight, the clip went viral and still stands as one of the most-viewed videos on YouTube.

This Christmas, Noah presented Luke with a watch that was engraved, "Worth the wait."

Since that fateful exchange of spit, the characters have naturally faced countless obstacles. At first, their mutual friend was caught in the crossfire of Noah's sexual identity crisis. Noah had to come out to his homophobic father, who (after killing his wife) soon conned Luke and Noah on a fishing trip where he shot Luke, paralyzing him from the waist down. But since this is daytime, where characters are known to have seven lives, it wasn't a surprise when Luke walked again thanks to the devotion and optimism of Noah's steadfast support. Even more twisted: Noah briefly married an Iraqi refugee to keep her in the country after she claimed his father saved her family. Luke and Noah stole kisses but fear of being discovered by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency drove their otherwise openly gay rapport back into the 1950s.

As the months wore on, the sexual tension between Luke and Noah (affectionately dubbed Nuke and Loah) grew. They kissed increasingly frequently and with decreasingly little fanfare from blogs, but they never went all the way. They did talk about sex—and what their first time would be like—but it never came anywhere near their horizon. Like everything in their relationship, intimacy was shown through incredibly compelling dialogue.

The inseparable pair talked about everything. Their feelings were always expressed (thanks in large part to head writer Jean Passanante, who happens to be responsible for the only two other gay characters in soap history) if not physically acted on.

Luke and Noah's dynamic escalated on New Year's Eve, when the night finally seemed right. Except for one elephant in the room: Luke's step-grandfather, who had kissed him during Thanksgiving. To make a convoluted story short, Luke got drunk (not a good thing when you've had a kidney transplant, too) after seeing Noah console his ex-girlfriend, and then he kissed his step-grandfather. Of course, Noah was a witness and threw a punch to protect "his love." When Luke confessed to initiating the kiss, Noah walked out, leaving Luke alone to read a note written from Noah, which was meant to be read the next morning, when they would have been together in bed.

For fans, it appeared, as usual, as if Luke and Noah had gone a few steps forward and many more steps back. Sure, they would recover over time. Like most soap "supercouples," they were meant to be. I was prepared for the long haul of relationship rebuilding.

It's difficult to explain to non-viewers how earnest and well-drawn Luke and Noah's relationship is. It was a task I felt ready to tackle after mildly (okay, very) obsessively watching the program (and getting hooked on the other plot lines in the process) for nearly two years now.

This weekend, I intended this article to be called "Why Daytime's Main Gays Should Abstain." It was going to be an attempt to explain how this couple is revolutionizing the portrayal of gays on television. They have had their share of media attention—beginning with their first kiss, a conservative outcry, and including a brief write-up in the New York Times—but nothing seemed to get at the heart of the matter.

For me at least, what makes Luke and Noah unique in television—and especially daytime—is that by not jumping in bed together, they're defying a classic gay stereotype. Indeed, many critics and gay bloggers accused As the World Turns (and Proctor and Gamble's production company) of having a double standard, since straight characters are routinely promiscuous.

In my view, the writers were holding the characters to a higher standard that should be applauded.

Who needs to see them shirtless between the sheets and read between the lines? As the World Turns is not The L Word or Queer as Folk. And for all its cliché, it's not as stereotypical as Will & Grace or Sex and the City when it comes to gay characters. Nor is it Brokeback Mountain.

As the World Turns seemed removed from that pressure—and in on the joke. This Christmas, for instance, Noah presented Luke with a watch that was engraved, "Worth the wait."

When I ran into stars of the show around New York City, I'd congratulate them for subtly making a difference. It seems as though more than gay-targeted programs, daytime shows have a special accessibility that allows them to win over hearts and minds. And they were (mostly) doing it via hearts and minds, not exposed nipples and wet chests.

Their epic relationship has lasted over a year. If that's forever in daytime (especially considering their collegiate age), it's an eternity in gay years—and, let's face it, that's a really long time to wait.

There is something to be said about a couple that shows its true colors (yes, Cyndi Lauper had a guest-spot during Pride Week) by their commitment, tenderness, sincerity, and loyalty in the face of so many odds, not because they wanted to get it on.

The more I watched As the World Turns, the less I actually wanted them to have sex.

So it came as a quite a shock, when on Monday's episode they rekindled their broken union by... having sex.

Without any warning or hysterics, the show took that unexpected turn and went where no daytime drama—and few primetime shows—has dared: Luke and Noah were shown post-coital, sheets ruffled.

And you know the best part? The person responsible for getting them back together after the fallout from Luke kissing his step-grandfather was his grandmother, the show's matriarch (played by Elizabeth Hubbard for the past 25 years), who was also the most understanding when Luke first came out.

So not only is this not your grandmother's soap, leave it to the grandmother-who-unwittingly-played-a-beard to get the boys back together.

She even delights in sharing their post-sex ice cream sundae.

I don't think that feeling that kissing another man is icky is indicative of latent homophobia or sexism, at least if you're a straight male. For me, the thought of kissing another man is unappealing at best, and I don't find it pleasurable to watch other men kiss. This is one of the reasons, by the way, that I really do believe homosexuality isn't a "lifestyle choice"--because I couldn't fathom making such a choice.

That said, I'm not at all saying it shouldn't be shown, nor am I saying there's any need to make a big "deal" out of it. And I think all the laughing and giggling and "ewww gross" stuff is juvenile and wrong. I realize that for gay men, there's nothing icky about it and I think it's fair and right to accurately show such relationships just as we do heterosexual relationships. In other words, whether I am personally titillated by it is beside the point.

On the other hand, women kissing each other is far less distasteful to me, simply because I AM attracted to women.

Does that make sense?

I'm attracted to men but honestly I couldn't say that two men kissing is far less distasteful to me than two women. I don't know, I always wonder how much the whole issue is different for males and females and for what reasons.

I'm not being critical of you at all, I guess I just don't completely understand that reasoning- just seeing it from my point of view. I don't think it's necessarily homophobic either.

I think differing reactions to female on female kissing and male on male kissing are cultural, men generally don't kiss other men under any circumstances (in at least culturally in the UK and US) other than when your a wee boy and your dad kisses you good night, but that stops when your about 6. Girls hug and kiss each other throughout life:shrug:

That said I kiss some of my mates on the forehead or cheek...especially when tipsy, but also when not:up: But we're a strange bunch in Belfast.

:lol:Tis a bit strange, we all went to Catholic primary and secondary schools, yet came out all quite liberal...most of my teachers were also quite liberal...my biology teacher was particularly strange in a great way, you could set her off talking about her love of Eddie Izzard for hours, if you wanted a break in class you just had to mention his name and she would recite his standup:cute:

Anyway on topic...it's always going to be an incremental thing this idea two guys kissing is not 'ewww', I mean even in relatively liberal Europe people are still getting used to the idea of gay couples to a certain extent, and I imagine it's still more so in the states. It will all hopefully move forward.

I'm attracted to men but honestly I couldn't say that two men kissing is far less distasteful to me than two women. I don't know, I always wonder how much the whole issue is different for males and females and for what reasons.

I'm not being critical of you at all, I guess I just don't completely understand that reasoning- just seeing it from my point of view. I don't think it's necessarily homophobic either.

It's not really reasoning though...it's more just my personal response. Trying to avoid making anyone (including myself) blush here. . .but, I would say I don't get guys that are hyped up to see girl on girl action. There's not something espeically exciting about that for me.

I think it might simply boil down to the fact that because I'm attracted to women and not men, seeing a women involved in sexual behavior is going to be more appealing to me than seeing men involved in the same thing.

I don't think it is rational. It just is.

I was finally able to see Milk over the weekend -it's out on DVD tomorrow for anyone who is interested. I saw it in a theater that's still showing it.

I thought it was moving and Sean Penn definitely deserved that Oscar. I just wonder what the real reasons were for Dan White killing those men-not that there is any acceptable reason of course but what his real feelings and motives were I suppose. Was it more personal jealousy and insecurity than anything else? I know he was into his "family values" and all that. I read that he was allegedly depressed-so his lawyers said it was diminished capacity.

I can't believe that Dan White was found guilty of just manslaughter

Personally, I find it funny as hell, just because if the men are straight and from America, they're often so uncomfortable with the idea that they look comical.

And I can understand where a man would find it repulsive. They aren't raised here with the idea of two men being physically affectionate with each other.

It's not really reasoning though...it's more just my personal response. Trying to avoid making anyone (including myself) blush here. . .but, I would say I don't get guys that are hyped up to see girl on girl action. There's not something espeically exciting about that for me.

I think it might simply boil down to the fact that because I'm attracted to women and not men, seeing a women involved in sexual behavior is going to be more appealing to me than seeing men involved in the same thing.

I don't think it is rational. It just is.

For me, it is the opposite, since I am attracted to men. Though, I don't mind a gay scene in a film, if it is well portrayed. A movie that comes to mind is Philadelphia. The end, was very touching. I couldn't stop crying.

For me, it is the opposite, since I am attracted to men. Though, I don't mind a gay scene in a film, if it is well portrayed. A movie that comes to mind is Philadelphia. The end, was very touching. I couldn't stop crying.

Oh geez, don't even start me on the ending to that movie. I cried a lot. It was the same with Brokeback. On a side note, I've never really understood what straight guys get out of watching 2 girls make out, until I saw the movie A Home at the End of the World with Colin Farrell. He's bisexual in the movie and ends up dancing then kissing one of his best guy friends in a really tender, beautiful scene. It was incredibly sexy to me as a straight woman. Then again, there's usually nothing tender or beautiful about 2 drunk girls making out, so I still don't understand the phenomena of guys being so into that. None of my ex-boyfriends or my guy friends can seem to explain that to me.:lol:

It's technically 'forboten', therefore it is tantalizing. Think about it: how many people here drool over U2? Why? Because we have no access to them other than concerts/vids/meet and greets. If we actually were in their lives, we'd probably not be all that interested. They're unattainable, and therefore desirable. Usually, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom