"I Dream of Another Recession"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder...if Congress came in tomorrow and somehow balanced the budget...and created a surplus to begin paying down the debt...

Would a President Romney and his Republican Senate and House then clamor for more tax cuts for the rich and ruin it all over again like in 2001?

The budget was balanced and there was a surplus only a little over 10 years ago.
But instead of paying down the debt, that surplus was mailed back to the public. And then they cut Taxes tremendously. And revenues spent the next six years in the shitter.

Oh. And basically about a million jobs were added in those 8 years of the Bush administration. Most of them Govt jobs.

You can't make this shit up.

There's no wonder jobs aren't being created over the last few years...there were barely any jobs being created before that. It's been ten years of a shitty economy for almost everyone.

2001, that is when I knew flat out, that the GOP were just a bunch of bald face liars. All through the 90s all they talked about was was ending the deficit and paying down the debt. That was number one. Pretty much just like it is now.

But once the deficit was gone and the debt was being paid down? Lickety-split it did not matter. Don't worry about the debt. we want tax cuts.

I realized the GOP real goal was to gut government, medicare, social security.
Those arguments could not be made with a surplus.

Don't worry about the debt. we want tax cuts.

I realized the GOP real goal was to gut government, medicare, social security.
Those arguments could not be made with a surplus.

you are absolutely right.

and the way these two go together is when you use debt to finance tax cuts.

It's all a symptom of the broken system.

We need term limits and lobbyists out of Congress as steps 1 and 2.

If we can't get that done, nothing substantial will ever change.

It's all a symptom of the broken system.

We need term limits and lobbyists out of Congress as steps 1 and 2.

If we can't get that done, nothing substantial will ever change.

according to the SCOTUS, this would be an infringement of freedom of speech.

because corporations are people.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what it comes down to, the Citizens United decision. :gah:

Back
Top Bottom