I am sorry...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you A_Wanderer and others for your thoughts.

My question to AEON was about the statement:"There is no consensus of what is right or wrong even within the Bible."

I really don't understand what you mean by a more "more flexible and informed morality."

What standard do we base this morailty on?

My opinion? Your opinion?

Stephen...I commend you for your insightful inner perspective of yourself and your thoughts. It is so easy to be right.......and more difficult to admit and say you are sorry. I grew up with a very religious background and it wasn't until university where I changed my entire paradigm on this issue.

I tip my hat off to you. I'm sure U2 would also do the same and commend you on your post. So much can be said about internet banter.....u2 banter.....flame wars.....memes....

But self reflection is in essence the power of U2.....their music....and to me....ultimately...the power of the entity above.

Congrats on your positive step forward.

Thank you A_Wanderer and others for your thoughts.

My question to AEON was about the statement:"There is no consensus of what is right or wrong even within the Bible."

I really don't understand what you mean by a more "more flexible and informed morality."

What standard do we base this morailty on?

My opinion? Your opinion?
A good standard could be the likely outcomes of different decisions for different people. A morality which maximises the outcomes for everybody involved is objective. I think the real-world impact of decisions should inform choices. Flexibility comes from the capacity to change ones mind in light of evidence. I don't think this type of thinking leads to moral relativism.

Stephen...I commend you for your insightful inner perspective of yourself and your thoughts. It is so easy to be right.......and more difficult to admit and say you are sorry. I grew up with a very religious background and it wasn't until university where I changed my entire paradigm on this issue.

I tip my hat off to you. I'm sure U2 would also do the same and commend you on your post. So much can be said about internet banter.....u2 banter.....flame wars.....memes....

But self reflection is in essence the power of U2.....their music....and to me....ultimately...the power of the entity above.

Congrats on your positive step forward.

Thanks for the encouragement, U2Brother. Every day is another chance to grow and to serve :)

:up: I really don't have anything to add to this thread..but I'd like say it's one of the best threads I've read since I joined interference..keep posting and I'll keep reading.. :)

A good standard could be the likely outcomes of different decisions for different people. A morality which maximises the outcomes for everybody involved is objective. I think the real-world impact of decisions should inform choices. Flexibility comes from the capacity to change ones mind in light of evidence. I don't think this type of thinking leads to moral relativism.

What if people can't agree on a standard?

A good post A_Wanderer, I'm thinking about it.

"change ones mind in light of evidence."

I hope this discussion continues.

What if people can't agree on a standard?

I have only come across a few people that don't agree with the Golden Rule.

As you recall, in the Bible Paul pointed out the righteousness of the Greeks even though they didn't have the Law, didn't have the Gospel. How could this be?

I tend to believe along the lines of Plato and Paul, that the thirst for righteousness is simply a part of divine nature. That doesn't mean we are always obedient to it or that everyone will acknowledge it. To me, it doesn't matter what ideology a person claims while they are acting in love. Love is God and God is love. In my view, anyone that believes in love does believe in God and is already "saved".

Aeon, I usually lurk in these parts but I wanted to also say your post was refreshing. It takes courage to do what you did and I applaud you.:applaud:
A point that always helps me (also coming from a religious background, I was raised Catholic) is that Jesus never once mentions homosexuality in the New Testament. Not once.
His mantra is all about LOVE LOVE LOVE regardless of who, what or why. Something we all should revisit and comtemplate more often.
And ya, another reason to love U2 is that very message, opening eyes in the most inspiring way possible through music!
Peace,
Jeannie:hug:

Back
Top Bottom