I am so confused.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRocksU2

Blue Crack Addict
I've been thinking about my decision on who to vote for, and I am having second thoughts.
The only reason that I am thinking about voting for McCain, is because of Obama's late term abortion views.
I am.....I believe I am Pro-Choice......but...

I am so confused.:|

McCain doesn't even believe he is.

Either president will be appointing judges this term. Think about who you want to do that. If you want women to be able to make their own health decisions, vote for the man you think will allow them to do that. If you think government should be able to make those decisions, then vote for that man.

Obama is against late term abortion unless the health of the mother is at risk.

because the law he was voting on did not include an exception for the health of the mother, he voted against it.

he's been pretty consistent and clear on this, unlike mccain on abortion.

the subject of this thread could be more specific.

I think Martha answered it best - either it's the woman's choice or the State's choice (which will eventually be equivocal to no choice at all...? ) and your vote (if you're basing it on the issue of abortion) should depend on who you want to make that decision.

I find this all really confusing too though - is Obama pro late term abortion, or not?

I just read Varitek's post - I know the answer to my question now, and don't find it particularly confusing at all.

I've been thinking about my decision on who to vote for, and I am having second thoughts.
The only reason that I am thinking about voting for McCain, is because of Obama's late term abortion views.

Is this issue more important to you than the economy, healthcare, war in Iraq, the erosion of your civil rights etc ?

just askin'

I get confused by Republicans/Conservatives, I always hear "less governement" but there was Palin yesterday calling for a FEDERAL ban on gay marriage, they want to get involve din abortion, etc.

Can someone 'splain this to me ? Or is it just a case of "the judiciary and the governement should stay out of our lives except when we want to further our own agenda" ? Is it really that simple ?

Carlos, the best way I can think of to explain Obama's position on the late-term abortion ban is this example. Let's say your wife got pregnant again and 7 months in, you found out her health is in danger because of complications. The only way she'd be guaranteed to live would be aborting the child. That's why Obama refused to support the late-term abortion ban. It would not allow for a late-term abortion even if the mother's health is in serious danger. As a young woman who wants to be a mother someday, I certainly wouldn't put my unborn child's future at risk by leaving it to likely be raised without a mother. If a woman's health is severely compromised by giving birth to a child, it's simply not worth the pain and risk of leaving a baby motherless, if the situation can be avoided.

Obama will clearly have different responsibilities as president than as senator. Currently Roe v. Wade leaves the decision of the 3rd trimester up to the states. If you don't want him supporting late-term abortion, then vote him out of the senate by voting for him for president (even though you live in CA and IL's laws are not applicable to you.) :wink:

I think Mac is more Pro Life than Obama.

The "health of a mother" argument can extend all the way to ailments like "depression" and other mental disorders.

Lovers of innocent life choose McCain.

<>

I too have been struggling with the decision to vote. I leaned more towards McCain months ago due specificly to his views on pro-life. Then I heard Obama talked about this same subject and I clearly changed my mind on things. They are both pro-life if you think about it closely, Obama has stated a question, "How can we reduce abortions?" and "I think no one is pro-abortion".

i think heart failure would be more real, debilitating and potentially fatal illness then say...."depression", and other physcosamatic illinesses.

<>
Nice work there Dr. Quack.

It's all make believe, people drowning bottles of pills or stepping in front of trains is really an indictment of the demons/thetans/godless atheism etc.

Are all cultists opposed to the idea of mental illness?

Maybe diamond if you had met my violent paranoid schizophrenic aunt who would slash your children's throats if she had a knife and 5 spare minutes when she's off her meds (that's when she's not preoccupied jumping off the roof of her house, which she's done thrice) you'd think a little differently.

But I don't expect anything better from you than the stuff you post so in that sense it isn't a surprise or a disappointment.

Sorry about your Aunt, and I'm glad she has a support network in you and your family.

Do you regret having her children as your cousins?
Do you think they shouldn't have been born?

<>

Carlos,

I think you're Catholic, and more Catholics than not (but not all) are voting McCain-because of the life issue.

Stick to your conscience brother.

God Bless,
<>

Sorry about your Aunt, and I'm glad she has a support network in you and your family.

Do you regret having her children as your cousins?
Do you think they shouldn't have been born?

She doesn't have any children.

Carlos, maybe you should ask yourself this: if your wife were pregnant, and became ill in her last trimester with something that combined with pregnancy made the risk of her dying very real (or another scenario is one where the treatment would kill the fetus), would you risk the life of your wife? Would you want legislators deciding that for you, telling you that your wife would possibly die to save the fetus, or would you rather make the painful and very personal decision about what to do between the two of you?

Back
Top Bottom