I am so confused. - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #106
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Because most people are willing to argue about an unborn child being an innocent life before looking to the South, East or West. We should be far more concerned with life that's already living on this planet than those who haven't even been born yet.

Example: If you asked the average McCain supporter about whether or not we should send troops to Darfur they would likely say no or at the very least have no idea what is going on there. That is what makes them pro-life hypocrites.
On the one hand the Republicans/Conservatives take a "pro-life" stance, on the other they have no real practical plan to provide healthcare benefits to those who don't have them. We were lucky, we CHOSE to have our 3 kids, I had great health insurance, we were financially able to have them. My middle one spent a week at Stanford Children's Hospital Neo-Natal ICU, the bill was over $20K (this was over 15 years ago now) I think I paid $100 as the co-pay (we had a great health plan at that company !).

Luckily he is now healthy and had no lasting health issues, but getting people to be more "pro-choice" might sit better if there was a strategy to help people AFTER the birth too.
__________________

__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #107
The Fly
 
flossymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 146
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
.
?????

I don't/can't speak for the entire Republican party. Darfur isn't the only country hurting, either. There are many that need assistance. There are many people that need assistance right here in this country, especially now. I don't think the blame for lack of assistance can be placed on one party.
__________________

__________________
flossymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
It's not my right to decide if a person lives or dies. That right belongs to no man (or woman).


so you're fine with your child suffering for a week or so, and then dying, as is the case with the vast majority of those with this particular birth defect.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #109
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
Just because someone is an "actual physician" doesn't make them an expert in everything,

No, it doesn't make him an expert in say, nuclear physics, but since his job is directly related to the aftermath of premature births and he HAS had medical training, it DOES him make him more of an expert than you and I combined.


Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
that's his opinion.
No, he posted facts.

If I want an informed decision on medical issues I'll ask a Dr., not someone who's been around Doctors.
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #110
The Fly
 
flossymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 146
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so you're fine with your child suffering for a week or so, and then dying, as is the case with the vast majority of those with this particular birth defect.
To quote Wikipedia:
In the past, the disorder was invariably fatal, whether due to dehydration, infection (sepsis), restricted breathing due to the plating, or other related causes. The most common cause of death was systemic infection and sufferers rarely survived for more than a few days. However, there have been improvements in care, most notably the drug Isotrex. Some patients have survived into adolescence and, in very rare cases, lived to adulthood.

This is not necessarily a fatal disease and NO I would not take the life of my child if they were diagnosed with it.
__________________
flossymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #111
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
It's not my right to decide if a person lives or dies. That right belongs to no man (or woman).
It sure as hell doesn't belong to a State or Federal Government, and actually next-of-kin DO have rights to give Drs consent when a patient is unable to consent in cases where for example aborting a fetus can save the life of a mother.

You'd rather let both die ? I know Diamond falls down on the side of the fetus over the mother, how about you ?
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #112
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
It's not my right to decide if a person lives or dies. That right belongs to no man (or woman).
But if the mother's life is in danger and you deny her the procedure to remove the fetus in order to save her life aren't you deciding if she lives?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #113
The Fly
 
flossymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 146
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
No, it doesn't make him an expert in say, nuclear physics, but since his job is directly related to the aftermath of premature births and he HAS had medical training, it DOES him make him more of an expert than you and I combined.




No, he posted facts.

If I want an informed decision on medical issues I'll ask a Dr., not someone who's been around Doctors.
He posted facts as he knows them and is still offering his views in regard to his experiences. You could probably poll many peds that deal with preemies and get a different opinion from all of them.
__________________
flossymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #114
The Fly
 
flossymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 146
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
It sure as hell doesn't belong to a State or Federal Government, and actually next-of-kin DO have rights to give Drs consent when a patient is unable to consent in cases where for example aborting a fetus can save the life of a mother.

You'd rather let both die ? I know Diamond falls down on the side of the fetus over the mother, how about you ?
No, I would never sacrifice my child to save my own life.
__________________
flossymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
Just because someone is an "actual physician" doesn't make them an expert in everything, that's his opinion. If you want to make a truely informed decision you'll research it yourself instead of listening to one "actual physician."
I suppose you don't believe in global warming, either, because it is just the "opinion" of "actual scientists."
__________________
Varitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
To quote Wikipedia:
In the past, the disorder was invariably fatal, whether due to dehydration, infection (sepsis), restricted breathing due to the plating, or other related causes. The most common cause of death was systemic infection and sufferers rarely survived for more than a few days. However, there have been improvements in care, most notably the drug Isotrex. Some patients have survived into adolescence and, in very rare cases, lived to adulthood.

This is not necessarily a fatal disease and NO I would not take the life of my child if they were diagnosed with it.


you realize that this is the exception. most babies with this rare disorder die, and those that survive for a small amount of time live very painful lives. they can count on one hand those that have survived into adolescence.

i would never put my child through that. i would want to protect my child from living a short life filled with pain.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #117
The Fly
 
flossymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 146
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
I suppose you don't believe in global warming, either, because it is just the "opinion" of "actual scientists."

What does that have to do with this debate?
__________________
flossymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #118
The Fly
 
flossymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 146
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you realize that this is the exception. most babies with this rare disorder die, and those that survive for a small amount of time live very painful lives. they can count on one hand those that have survived into adolescence.

i would never put my child through that. i would want to protect my child from living a short life filled with pain.
That would be your choice, though I'm not sure being aborted is any less painful.
__________________
flossymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #119
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossymay View Post
He posted facts as he knows them and is still offering his views in regard to his experiences. You could probably poll many peds that deal with preemies and get a different opinion from all of them.
Well, we don't have many peds here to poll, his is the most informed opinion here and he also has more actual facts and experience to back him up.

I wouldn't be so presumptious as to say speak for what all other pediatricians would say hell they could all be in 100% agreement for all you or I know.
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #120
The Fly
 
flossymay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 146
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Well, we don't have many peds here to poll, his is the most informed opinion here and he also has more actual facts and experience to back him up.

I wouldn't be so presumptious as to say speak for what all other pediatricians would say hell they could all be in 100% agreement for all you or I know.
That is very true. I still wouldn't base my beliefs on the opinion of one person.
__________________

__________________
flossymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com