Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Carlos, maybe you should ask yourself this: if your wife were pregnant, and became ill in her last trimester with something that combined with pregnancy made the risk of her dying very real (or another scenario is one where the treatment would kill the fetus), would you risk the life of your wife? Would you want legislators deciding that for you, telling you that your wife would possibly die to save the fetus, or would you rather make the painful and very personal decision about what to do between the two of you?
Circumstances like that are extremely rare, but hyped up by the pro choice people.

<>

Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #32
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Circumstances like that are extremely rare,
Really ? How rare ? So there ARE such cases then ? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Circumstances like that are extremely rare, but hyped up by the pro choice people.

<>
Rare maybe, but it does happen. And provisions should be made for those it happens to.

Btw Carlos, I give you a great deal of credit for actually researching and considering this issue, regardless of the conclusion you come to. More people should be as thoughtful.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Since Diamond seems to have gotten not only his medical but also his psychological license, I'm sure he has stats he can throw out there for us. Or maybe he's specialized in both obstetrics and psychiatry?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Yes, and most women elect to have the baby.

<>
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Since Diamond seems to have gotten not only his medical but also his psychological license, I'm sure he has stats he can throw out there for us. Or maybe he's specialized in both obstetrics and psychiatry?
I figured him more as a proctologist..........getting his head out of his own ass must surely be a full-time job by now...........
Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Hey, I'm a pediatrician. I've spent a lot of time working in the neonatal intensive care unit (the NICU), and I've been to a lot of deliveries. Because of the hospital I work in, many of those deliveries are to moms with high-risk pregnancies, whether they started off high-risk or became so during the pregnancy. We've had moms who end up in the adult ICU, and we've had moms die.

We also have an endless census of babies born to moms whose health had become poor. Some of these babies come out just fine. Many of these babies come out gravely ill themselves----the "health of the mother" affects more than just the mother. Many other babies come out in an "in between" state, neither healthy nor deathly ill. They're born very early----we can "take" a baby out by C-section as low as 23 weeks (that means only 5 1/2 months along instead of 9). I say we "can" because that's just it---we can....but I can't tell you how many multiple, multiple problems these kids end up with, if they even survive to leave the NICU. Infection upon infection upon infection. Serious, chronic lung disease requiring multiple medications for a very long time. Strokes are common. Retinopathy of Prematurity is nearly universal in these kids and leads to poor vision and blindness. Necrotizing Enterocolitis is not uncommon, leading to death of the bowel once these kids start eating formula.

Some of these babies come out okay.

Dammit, though, far far too many of these kids end up in a way that I wouldn't wish upon any living soul. It makes me question what we do in the NICU every day that I'm there.

Listen, if you think that "health of the mother" is far too broad, make legislators tighten up the definition. But listen to me---do not take away the health of the mother in an effort to save the baby----because you're more than likely not doing the baby any favors.

Knowing what I know, if my wife were to become deathly ill because of the pregnancy, I would without question choose the potential of life with her and the potential of more kids down the line over risking her death only for the possibility that the baby will also be healthy enough to survive.

Knowing what I know, the health of the mother is tied far too tightly to the health of the baby to ignore.

Knowing what I know, and seeing what I've seen---the health of the mother is paramount.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Yes, and most women elect to have the baby.

<>
I'd love to see a link to the data, and good to see that the women who don't fall into the "most" category had a say in the matter.........

Less Government is good, eh ?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks Utoo, I was hoping you'd comment.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

<>
diamond, what do you think is the purpose of the 'health of the mother' clauses? Do you really think that people are going around knocking out their fetuses at 6 1/2 months willy-nilly? I think the latter is far more hyped up by the pro-life people.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

diamond, the reason I brought up your kids is because she doesn't discriminate and she is violent against strangers (children included). But if you think that this isn't a serious illness and people like her should have babies, hey you go right ahead. I thank God that she was never pregnant.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

I can't claim to know all the facts on late-term abortion, but what I know disturbs me.. I'm generally pro-life, except in the instance of the health of the mother, rape, etc In the case of late-term abortion, if it's that far along, why "terminate" the child? Isn't the fetus potentially viable at that stage? Why not attempt to save its life once it's out?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #43
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrun View Post
I can't claim to know all the facts on late-term abortion, but what I know disturbs me.. I'm generally pro-life, except in the instance of the health of the mother, rape, etc In the case of late-term abortion, if it's that far along, why "terminate" the child? Isn't the fetus potentially viable at that stage? Why not attempt to save its life once it's out?

Look about 4 posts above by Utoo........
Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think that this issue is essentially moot, as Obama is not in favor of late-term abortions. A look at any of the fact check links posted in this thread show that.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
of the 2 parties involved, one is innocent the other not.

<>
In your belief system maybe. Doesn't change the fact that the one party involved is also the one that is to make the free decision which life she gives priority in such a situation.