Hypocrisy in labellin guy flying plane into IRS building "not a terrorist" - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #46
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 12:17 PM
I think he was a sad man at the end of his rope. Probably watched too much tv.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #47
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
So he's a tea party martyr? I would like to read exactly what Scott Brown said, but perhaps he should have said nothing. But I guess his opinion on everything now is so relevant. I want to know if he thinks Plushenko was robbed, maybe I'll call his office.
The link to the Fox News video to Brown's comments is in the first page of this thread.

Looking back, I'm still glad Brown said that the guy had understandable reasons, but it's kind of slimy the way he tried to incorporate that into his campaign. Very egotistical.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

People who don't understand what he said are saying he was justified? I still don't understand how that's happening.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #49
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
People who don't understand what he said are saying he was justified? I still don't understand how that's happening.
1. Lots of taxes.
2. Plane into building.
3. Spin story to fit your needs
3a. It's really Obama's fault
3b. It's really W's fault
3bI. It may be W's fault - but it's also Obama's fault, but we're gonna fix that in November.

K?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I think he was a sad man at the end of his rope. Probably watched too much tv.
On that note, I'm reminded of that opening scene in one of my very favorite X-Files episodes, the Season 3 finale "Talitha Cumi". A stressed out man who has lost his job goes into a fastfoot restaurant and threatens to shoot people and does. The end credits even call him "Stress Man", if I remember correctly. When I was a teen, I didn't understand what was happening at all; I couldn't relate to what this guy was feeling or how he got to that place. Maybe it's experience or understanding the world and my own feelings and of what I'm capable better, but I understand now.

It's one of many scenes of insight into humanity that this wonderful show provided. I think that's lost among all those who praise whatever junk J.J. Abrams does and pronounce it better than The X-Files.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Everything I ever needed to know, I learned from The X-Files.

I think you've got a book lurking somewhere in that idea.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
When I was a teen, I didn't understand what was happening at all; I couldn't relate to what this guy was feeling or how he got to that place. Maybe it's experience or understanding the world and my own feelings and of what I'm capable better, but I understand now.
I'm just going to go ahead and say it: dude, that's a little frightening.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:17 AM
I second that...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I'm just going to go ahead and say it: dude, that's a little frightening.
I didn't mean that to come off as saying I specifically would do it, but that I can see how people snap due to the pressures of life, how easy it is to feel trapped and to have rage drive you in your darkest times. I mean, let's look at all these school shootings or even the phrase "going postal" applied in the '80s or all these shootings among people fired.

I'm trying to say that my understanding of human nature was limited in my teens, but that I've come along to the view of The X-Files writers in that episode, David Duchovny and Chris Carter, that an otherwise decent person can do something so terrible as take out their frustrations on people who never directly affected them. That's all.

If it were "Walker, Texas Ranger", Stress Man would have been portrayed as scum, but he was given sympathy in that X-Files episode; the same honest portrayals of serial killers are provided in "Millennium" Season 1.

If we're to solve these society-wide problems, the most important thing is to understand and not just write these incidents off as freak events because they're going to continue. We need to figure out what's wrong with our societies that leads to such behavior; how can otherwise normal people go down this route.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
I didn't mean that to come off as saying I specifically would do it, but that I can see how people snap due to the pressures of life, how easy it is to feel trapped and to have rage drive you in your darkest times. I mean, let's look at all these school shootings or even the phrase "going postal" applied in the '80s or all these shootings among people fired.

I'm trying to say that my understanding of human nature was limited in my teens, but that I've come along to the view of The X-Files writers in that episode, David Duchovny and Chris Carter, that an otherwise decent person can do something so terrible as take out their frustrations on people who never directly affected them. That's all.

If it were "Walker, Texas Ranger", Stress Man would have been portrayed as scum, but he was given sympathy in that X-Files episode; the same honest portrayals of serial killers are provided in "Millennium" Season 1.

If we're to solve these society-wide problems, the most important thing is to understand and not just write these incidents off as freak events because they're going to continue. We need to figure out what's wrong with our societies that leads to such behavior; how can otherwise normal people go down this route.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree with your last paragraph.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Everything I ever needed to know, I learned from The X-Files.

I think you've got a book lurking somewhere in that idea.
I know, eh?
Actually, when I was a teen, I was pretty ignorant about the truth about US foreign policy and would get upset at The X-Files' liberal politics. I remember watching the finale in May 2002 and scoffing at the idea that a military official would torture Mulder in a secret prison. "Americans are morally superior; they aren't capable of that", I'd think. Fastforward to Abu Graib and Guantanamo, etc.

The X-Files wasn't as political as BSG, but it would bring up things like The School of the Americas ("Apocrypha"), the Mai Lai massacre ("Sleepless"), the cruel treatment of illegal immigrants ("El Mundo Gira") and Haitian Refugees ("Fresh Bones"), the fact that Zionists used terrorism to found Israel ("Kaddish") and a general suspicion of elected officials and the dangers of governmental abuse.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

If an emotion hasn't been dealt with in a politically insightful television show, that emotion doesn't exist, guys.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I agree with your last paragraph.
Phew. I have to say, I was nervous about typing the initial post on which you commented because of how it might be read.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:17 PM
You recall how the episodes are called?

It was My Lai.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
If an emotion hasn't been dealt with in a politically insightful television show, that emotion doesn't exist, guys.
Well, doesn't it help when a smart show speaks to these emotions?

Much more than The X-Files, BSG speaks to these darker emotions and actions, those very real ones that too many Hollywood writers avoid.

My family was never big on discussing emotions, so TV kinda helped me a bit.