Hypocrisy in labellin guy flying plane into IRS building "not a terrorist" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:12 AM
fair enough. i'll wait for clarity.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:12 AM
I think somewhere between sensationalism and targeting the 'pop-news' demographic, "terrorism" as a culture slogan on cable news only works with a dark face or a 'funny' name.

I don't think it's some inherent bias in the "journalism".
I think it's not journalism at all. It's entertainment.
Targeting people who still think it's possible to launch a war against a tactic.

Irvine called cable news "poison" on another thread.
In America, our cable news and pop culture are essentially the same thing. So poison fits both, IMO. Watch tomorrow, all 3 cable news networks will cover the Tiger Woods press conference. Instead of...virtually anything else.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #33
Refugee

Wow. I just finished reading the letter the guy wrote. I pretty much misjudged him. He's not right wing at all. He was a struggling engineer and wanted tax reform that was progressive, it seems.

I pretty much agree with what he says; I'm very ignorant of tax laws and filing taxes and stuff.

It's too bad he got so desperate. I'm glad that I said he should be humanized because he sounds very human. I'm pretty disgusted with the corporatization of politics. I just wish he could have scared some of those pricks at the big banks or some Bush administration officials instead of hurting some low level folks at the IRS. I think many liberals might have wanted the same things he wanted.

Thanks so much for the link.

I was thinking about what Noam Chomsky said last year about how even Tea Party folks (though this guy doesn't sound like one of them) think the way they do because their getting their worldview from the right and not the left.
http://fora.tv/2009/10/06/Noam_Choms...cs#fullprogram
(click #4)
Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #34
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I think somewhere between sensationalism and targeting the 'pop-news' demographic, "terrorism" as a culture slogan on cable news only works with a dark face or a 'funny' name.

I don't think it's some inherent bias in the "journalism".
I think it's not journalism at all. It's entertainment.
Targeting people who still think it's possible to launch a war against a tactic.

Irvine called cable news "poison" on another thread.
In America, our cable news and pop culture are essentially the same thing. So poison fits both, IMO. Watch tomorrow, all 3 cable news networks will cover the Tiger Woods press conference. Instead of...virtually anything else.
What's so sad to me about all this is that I think the news used to be better. If Access Hollywood wants to talk about Britney Spears, I don't care, but for CNN to do it is disgusting.

I didn't agree with everything Ted Koppel did on ABC's "Nightline", but they did some serious jounalism -- like exposing the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" as the liars they shamelessly were. Now, look at "Nightline"; it's hosted by that slimy prick who launched his career picking on Michael Jackson: Martin Bashir. That's guy's an embarrassment.

And CNN is hosted by nitwits like the morning news folks through the afternoon who aren't properly educated about the world; they take pride in their hick notions -- like Kyra Phillips believing all that crap about how the Taliban have to be eradicated to avoid another 9/11 or Rick Sanchez. I don't know if they're worse or if the more educated folks like Blitzer and Anderson Cooper who know better but cynically misinform people are worse; I guess it's the latter. Heck, CNN gave Glen Beck his racist hypocritical start and I'll never forgive them for that.

Seriously, if this guy had been angry toward some of the rich scum in the media who care only about ratings and cynically portraying the issues in the form of cheap nationalism, I would have understood that. I think they're the cause of so much suffering at home and abroad.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
could you tell us which acts of terror are justified and which ones aren't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
i'm going to assume he meant sometimes the point is justified, not the means of expressing the rage.
That, too, but I also meant that the tactic can be justified as well.

To answer Irvine511's question, in justified terrorism, I'd group the French resistance to the German-occupied Vichy government was considered terrorism as was the Vietnamese in the South and the North opposed to the US-backed Saigon government. I'd also throw in native Americans rebelling against white settlers as well as Hamas and Hezbollah opposing Israeli occupation.

Let's face it, the American Revolutionaries violated the norms of warfare against the British by engaging in hit and run attacks in the south, and by wearing civilians clothes so they could hide among the townsfolk, and hiding in trees and shooting unannounced at British soldiers. They also spread propaganda about British-allied natives raping white women to scare unaligned Americans into joining their cause.

As in all cases, terrorists aren't naturally perfectly moral, but are just as valid as those using state tools like unjust laws and massive retaliation with an army to get their way. The killing of innocent civilians is always tragic, but there's a hypocrisy among states that terrorists' victims are less justifiable than collateral damage.

I don't consider Al Qaeda-type groups to be justified terrorism, though there are many gray areas (I do agree with their desire to have the US stop backing Israel and repressive governments in Arab countries in the Middle East), just as I don't consider Hitler's war civilized warfare.

*An interesting note: The guerilla forces in the French resistance were called the Maquis. On Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, my hero Ira Steven Behr and Michael Piller decided to call the understandable group of terrorists opposing the Federation-Cardassian treaty that gave their land over to the Cardassians the Maquis. Now, in normal human history, no one who believes in their cause calls themselves "terrorists", but these courageous writers were trying to illuminate the situation in Palestine by having both the 50-year Bajoran resistance to the Cardassian occupation and the Maquis "terrorists". The DS9 Captain Sisko ends up trying to stop the Maquis, but the writers were careful to present them as driven by reasonable concerns.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #36
Refugee

There's a great film that reminds me of some of this. It's called "The Assassination of Richard Nixon", starring Sean Penn and Naomi Watts and Don Cheadle. It really captures the stress of life and the rage this lonely guy felt and directed toward Nixon on the TV screen. In the end, he does terrible things, but the inner pain makes it hard for him to see how cruel he's being toward innocents. This guy reminds me of that character.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #37
Refugee

Joe Stack said nothing about Obama; I'm pretty sure I heard Rick Sanchez of CNN say that. I feel silly for having said that he attacked the President and his wife.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 09:12 AM
obviously people calling this guy a christian conservative didnt read his suicide note.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I don't think he was crazy. I do think he was either incredibly stupid or evil.
This for me.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Can your really be crazy and evil?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #41
She's the One

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Yes.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

But doesn't crazy imply that it's somewhat out of your control, and evil imply intent?

I don't know, I'm just asking.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's quite rare that someone really is "evil" (sociopath or psychopath) AND "crazy" (pick whatever disorder falls under the umbrella of that colloquialism).
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But doesn't crazy imply that it's somewhat out of your control, and evil imply intent?

I don't know, I'm just asking.
I guess there is a lot of grey area or mixed forms. Not everyone is entirely, 100% crazy when he is evil, and vice versa.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

So he's a tea party martyr? I would like to read exactly what Scott Brown said, but perhaps he should have said nothing. But I guess his opinion on everything now is so relevant. I want to know if he thinks Plushenko was robbed, maybe I'll call his office.