Husband Asks For Kidney Compensation In Divorce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Obviously he couldn't get the kidney back and this is some sort of crazy gimmick resulting from hurt and anger-but it's still very sad. I remember that Dominick Barbara from the Howard Stern show. Good thing some people are fighting so that men and women are the only ones allowed to have "sanctified" marriages, when so many good things like this can come out of some of them...

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island surgeon embroiled in a nearly four-year divorce proceeding wants his estranged wife to return the kidney he donated to her, although he says he'll settle for $1.5 million in compensation.

Dr. Richard Batista, a surgeon at Nassau University Medical Center, told reporters at his lawyer's Long Island office Wednesday that he decided to go public with his demand for kidney compensation because he has grown frustrated with the negotiations with his estranged wife.

Dr. Batista fought back tears after talking about a bitter divorce battle he's embroiled in with his wife of 15 years.

"There's no deeper pain or betrayal from somebody you loved and devoted your whole life to," he said.

Batista's a full-time surgeon, who married Dawnell in 1990. They would later have three children and eventually he saved her life by donating his kidney to her in 2001.

She filed for divorce in July 2005, although he claims she began having an extramarital affair 18 months to two years after receiving the kidney transplant, his attorney, Dominick Barbara said.

Batista says she had an affair.

"I felt humiliated betrayed as a person, a man, a husband and father," adds Dr. Batista.

Now as part of the divorce settlement Dr. Batista isn't asking for the million dollar home they shared in Massappequa, he's asking for his kidney back, or to get paid for it.

Douglas Rothkopf, the attorney representing Dawnell Batista, told Eyewitness News, "The facts aren't as represented by Dr. Batista. We will be addressing the issues before the judge within the next few days."

Batista, 49, said he has no regrets about donating the kidney, only about the failed marriage.

He still recalls the day after the surgery took place.

"There is no greater feeling on this planet. As God is my witness, I felt as if I could put my arm around Jesus Christ. It was unbelievable; I was walking on a cloud. To this day I would still do it again," he said.

This is ridiculous. I saw this on the news last night and was like WTF you have to be kidding me! :lol:

So he has no regrets about donating the kidney and would do it again....but he wants compensation......? :scratch:

I want my sperms back
or at least the same compensation a sperm donor would have received

all you women out there know who you are

I'm not sure why it's so strange he wants to be compensated.

If you are married and you pay off your spouse's student loans, you are entitled to compensation for that. In fact, you're entitled to a lot of different types of compensation on the dissolution of marriage, especially in situations where one spouse keeps something (house, car, etc) that the other doesn't.

So just consider this to be another form of property.

If you are married and you pay off your spouse's student loans, you are entitled to compensation for that. In fact, you're entitled to a lot of different types of compensation on the dissolution of marriage, especially in situations where one spouse keeps something (house, car, etc) that the other doesn't.

No, because it in not legal to sell organs in the U S.
(just sperm, you can't beat my price)

I saw him on T V last night, too.

The guy is a whiny baby.

He needs to hook up with Howard Sterns and go to Scores and get drunk.

Get down with his misogynistic inner self.

You can't control people even by donating an organ to them. That's life. He couldn't even guarantee her fidelity and undying love by doing that, so if that was any part of the equation then he was misguided. Organ donation should be as unselfish as possible. I understand that he feels humiliated and betrayed, but this isn't going to fix that.

Not to mention what his kids think, how they will feel about this whole issue. The kids are 14,11, and 8

Because he claims he did this out of love. If you love someone enough to save their lives, you don't want compensation for it just because they stopped loving you. I wouldn't want compensation for saving a stranger's life if I could, let alone someone I loved.

"To this day I would still do it again," he said." So then, what's the problem? Some people just can't let go. He's pathetic. No wonder she left him. He probably reminded her every day that he "loved" her so much that he gave her a kidney.

ETA: Ok, there was nothing in the article about saving her life, but one can assume a kidney did that.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to sit and listen to someone rage and rage about an ex-spouse. Betrayal, and every filthy word is used.

Some people become consumed by it and it has actually destroyed any future happiness. I survived one real bad breakup, betrayal.

That was a learning experience. Whatever I believed I lost, I had to ask myself, how much more of my present and future did I want to throw down that same black hole to never get back again?

Sanity kicked in, and I let go and moved on.
Life is wonderful, there are countless opportunities and possibilities out there.

Now, this guy? Would he rather he had not donated his kidney?
Is he telling his children that wished their mother had died??

Great father. :up:

An ex of mine still owes me $5,000. I'm sure I will never see it again and I don't care. It helped him at the time, and I loved him. :shrug:

5,000 years, people. undying, essential, magical chemistry that only exists between a man and a woman.

5,000 years!

abcnews.com

Medical Expert Says Surgeon's Quest for Kidney Compensation Is 'Soap Opera'
Husband Says Wife Had Affair After He Gave Her His Kidney
By SARAH NETTER

Jan. 8, 2009—

Dr. David Cronin, the director of liver transplantation at the Medical College of Wisconsin, has been performing liver, kidney and pancreas transplants for more than a decade. He says a price tag cannot be placed on a human organ.

"Any efforts that have been made to sell organs, broker organs & have come up and been squashed," he said about Richard Batista's legal tactic.

Cronin likened donations from live donors to a contract in which the donor agrees to give up the organ to the recipient and expect nothing in return.

The National Organ Transplant Act of 1984 says that an organ donation from a living donor is a gift and is not eligible for "valuable consideration."

Phone calls placed to both Richard and Dawnell Batista seeking comment were not immediately returned today.

Richard Batista, according to his profile with the Nassau Healthcare Corp., is a graduate of the State University of New York at Stony Brook and Cornell University Medical College.

'Just Foolish'

A representative for the National Kidney Foundation told ABCNews.com that the foundation did not want to comment on Richard Batista's request "because it's very individualistic, and we haven't come across anything like this before."

There have been ethical questions raised about donors receiving peripheral compensations such as travel and hotel expenses, but Cronin said those circumstances have generally been accepted by the medical community.

As far as Richard Batista's getting his kidney back from his soon-to-be ex? That isn't going to happen either, according to Cronin.

"That's just foolish," he said.

But if a judge were to award the surgeon compensation for the kidney specifically and not just divorce-related damages, that could challenge the notion of organs as gifts.

Cronin likened the whole story to a soap opera, calling it an "entertainment blip."

Because he claims he did this out of love. If you love someone enough to save their lives, you don't want compensation for it just because they stopped loving you.

Don't people do things for their spouses "out of love" all the time and then get compensated for it in a divorce?

im down w that program.

my old gfs who i've tried to pay back tell me to get lost.

:huh:

<>

Don't get me wrong, I would take it in a heartbeat. I need it, in fact. But he doesn't have it and it's history as far as I'm concerned. But then again, I never lend money or anything if I need/expect/want to get it back. I won't lend CDs or books or anything unless I am prepared to never see them again.

i think you'll be blessed for your compassion in this life.

:)
<>

That's sweet but it really isn't about compassion. It's common sense. It makes my life easier by being able to let go of things/people, even when I've been wronged. Doesn't mean I'm a doormat either, I just try to pick my battles wisely.

Yes. People can be stupid, greedy, and hateful, no doubt about it.

People who once loved each other are capable of incredible cruelty.

Maybe because I've read dozens of family law cases that this guy doesn't even seem strange to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom