Hurricane news updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
This thing is massive. :(

Currently:

Mayor Ray Nagin late Saturday warned that Gustav is the "mother of all storms" and ordered a mandatory evacuation for the West Bank of New Orleans for 8 a.m. Sunday and noon for the East Bank.

"We want 100 percent evacuation," said Nagin. "It has the potential to impact every area of this metropolitan.

Katrina had a footprint of about 400 miles, he said. Gustav is about 900 miles and growing, Nagin said.

"This is worse than a Betsy, worse than a Katrina," Nagin said.

The mayor speculated that Gustav is so fierce Baton Rouge likely will experience 100 mph winds.

Here is hoping that the somewhat-cooler waters of the northern Gulf will lessen the storm's strength as it reaches the shore.

:ohmy:

map_huralrt07_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

map_tropprjpath07_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

I think the GOP is ochrestrated this as a political event and it's GW's fault cuz of global simmering.

<>

In Cuba, Gustav tore off roofs, flattened buildings and plunged communities into darkness as it smashed through the Isle of Youth, then tore across mainland Cuba southwest of Havana, which has a population of more than two million. There were no immediate reported deaths in Cuba.

The monster storm lost some of its punch in the process, with US officials downgrading it from four to three.

More reports will tricke in from Cuba, but I hope there wasn't major loss of life there. The western part of the island is really beautiful, and the people so hospitable.

The good news is that the sustained winds have slowed down. :up:

this is one scary mofo of a hurricane.. :yikes:

I hope it goes down in strength before it hits the gulf coast. it's a cat 3 right now here's hoping it goes down even more..

i love this.. you go Mayor Nagin. He just spoke a news conference and he said on no uncertain terms any looters caught go directly to Angola Prison and not the city jail. No free passes and no looting will be tolerated at all.:up:

Hopefully Nagin will distinguish between those looting food (due to a lack of government help) and those looting TVs.

Hopefully Nagin will distinguish between those looting food (due to a lack of government help) and those looting TVs

I think the warning was more to people -- get out. Some people will stay to loot. They need to leave!

i hope so too. I think that they probably have more of a breakdown so to speak of what was looted on a per case basis.. Maybe related to $$ of what was taken by the person in question.

If the oil refineries in La. get hit like they did in Katrina, we could see $5 gas soon.

Diamond's error was to forget that only leftwing FYM'rs are allowed to make bad taste jokes.

maybe everyone could take the pissing match somewhere else?

cnn has been reporting sustained winds of 120 mph and gusts of up to 150 mph... gustav may still be a category 4 when it hits land. :|

I saw on some reports that people being evacuated by bus etc. are allowed to bring their pets this time (most weren't during Katrina). They had loads of crates at the ready for people to use and were telling people what to bring for their pets. I'm not sure I'd evacuate if I had to leave my pets (I don't live in a hurricane area so I've never faced that decision), so I think that will help get more people to leave.

Overall it does seem that both officials and the residents are taking this threat seriously, so that should make the human toll less even if it is a whopper of a storm.

I saw on some reports that people being evacuated by bus etc. are allowed to bring their pets this time (most weren't during Katrina). They had loads of crates at the ready for people to use and were telling people what to bring for their pets. I'm not sure I'd evacuate if I had to leave my pets (I don't live in a hurricane area so I've never faced that decision), so I think that will help get more people to leave.

Overall it does seem that both officials and the residents are taking this threat seriously, so that should make the human toll less even if it is a whopper of a storm.

bush had a brief press conference earlier and based on what he said, it sounds like everyone is taking this storm very seriously, planning for the worst.

i also saw a press conference with the governor of LA and he indicated that over 1,000 school buses were mobilized to help evacuate the city.

just saw a story on msnbc about alabama police going door-to-door notifying residents of a forced evacuation.

we can only hope that the katrina's lessons have been taken to heart. all evidence appears to suggest that they have.

I saw a report late last night on CNN that talked about a woman evacuated to an airport who got on a plane with others, and she was made to leave her caged birds at the airport. :( I did see a segment today though that referred to people being able to take their pets, thank goodness.

Not that this compares to the current situation at all, but earlier in the spring, we had a very ominous looking storm brewing here, and tornado warnings were issued. Tornadoes can and have happened in this area, but they're relatively rare, and watches/warnings generally come to naught. Because this storm looked so bad, we took it seriously and prepared to run down to the basement. Our kittens were around 3 months at that point, and my daughter stuffed 5 of them in a cat carrier that holds 2 cats at best. :lol: I was holding the 6th one, and the mother was sticking close to us. Thankfully, although there were funnel clouds very close to us, and there ended up being a fair amount of minor damage and downed trees, there wasn't an actual tornado to speak of. I can certainly empathize with those currently concerned for the safety of their pets, though. I'm glad to hear that the authorities are accommodating them this time.

:down:

not cool.
He should have just directly quoted Michael Moore
I was just thinking, this Gustav is proof that there is a God in heaven,” Moore said, laughing. “To have it planned at the same time – that it would actually be on its way to New Orleans for day one of the Republican Convention, up in the Twin Cities – at the top of the Mississippi River.”

I wouldn't be so sure. He tends to be a bit of an ass regardless of the overall point he's making.

I know what you mean. I'm just saying that despite his disregard of politicians, particularly those on the right, I doubt he intended his comments to reflect how he feels about citizens in harms way.

:shrug:

I know what you mean. I'm just saying that despite his disregard of politicians, particularly those on the right, I doubt he intended his comments to reflect how he feels about citizens in harms way.

:shrug:

I'm glad a day before the storm, the city has been evacuated and very few if any lives will be lost.

ps-

I think we should pray for Michael Moore not to make any other thoughtless statements.

<>

I'm glad a day before the storm, the city has been evacuated and very few if any lives will be lost.

ps-

I think we should pray for Michael Moore not to make any other thoughtless statements.

<>

If I were a praying person, which I'm not, I don't think I'd be wasting them on Michael Moore's verbal miscues at this point. In the grand scheme of things, there are far more important considerations.

Back
Top Bottom