Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
If I were a praying person, which I'm not, I don't think I'd be wasting them on Michael Moore's verbal miscues at this point. In the grand scheme of things, there are far more important considerations.
true, but all things and actions could be interconnected.

Luke 6:28 Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat

Old 08-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I saw a report late last night on CNN that talked about a woman evacuated to an airport who got on a plane with others, and she was made to leave her caged birds at the airport. I did see a segment today though that referred to people being able to take their pets, thank goodness.

Not that this compares to the current situation at all, but earlier in the spring, we had a very ominous looking storm brewing here, and tornado warnings were issued. Tornadoes can and have happened in this area, but they're relatively rare, and watches/warnings generally come to naught. Because this storm looked so bad, we took it seriously and prepared to run down to the basement. Our kittens were around 3 months at that point, and my daughter stuffed 5 of them in a cat carrier that holds 2 cats at best. I was holding the 6th one, and the mother was sticking close to us. Thankfully, although there were funnel clouds very close to us, and there ended up being a fair amount of minor damage and downed trees, there wasn't an actual tornado to speak of. I can certainly empathize with those currently concerned for the safety of their pets, though. I'm glad to hear that the authorities are accommodating them this time.
I really feel for all the people having to make such tough decisions and worrying and wondering how what they had to leave will weather the storm. Heart wrenching no matter how you look at it.

The report I saw was from a bus/train depot I think. Although we have transported pets by plane years ago, with all the changes in what's allowed and what isn't on planes now, I wouldn't chance trying to evacuate by plane with an animal now, even if I was told I could. Too much risk of not being able to take it when you get there.

Tornado warning really get your heart pumping, don't they? Where I am isn't tornado alley by any means, but we do get them sometimes. I have a basement now, which is great, but I'm always stressed about what I would do if a tornado was headed my way. There's not much time and trying to get up to 10 cats (my eight and most likely my brother's two), the dog, and my aunt with downs syndrome who isn't good on her feet and has very poor vision down there quickly is something I hope to never have to do.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
No, I am expecting you to be fair and balanced.

/sarc

please.

i condemned Moore's comments.

it's sad when the complaints about some kind of liberal echo chamber in here

become their own echo chamber
Old 08-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
If the oil refineries in La. get hit like they did in Katrina, we could see $5 gas soon.
I saw a segment on CNN about where a large bulk of the oil platforms are. It's just slightly west of New Orleans. Looks like the storm is headed straight for that area now. I filled up this morning and probably wont see $3.55 per gallon again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I really feel for all the people having to make such tough decisions and worrying and wondering how what they had to leave will weather the storm. Heart wrenching no matter how you look at it.

Tornado warning really get your heart pumping, don't they? Where I am isn't tornado alley by any means, but we do get them sometimes. I have a basement now, which is great, but I'm always stressed about what I would do if a tornado was headed my way. There's not much time and trying to get up to 10 cats (my eight and most likely my brother's two), the dog, and my aunt with downs syndrome who isn't good on her feet and has very poor vision down there quickly is something I hope to never have to do.
It really made a difference on me leaving or not. If it hadn't diminished some and then the cone of impact moved slightly more west, I'd stilll be agonizing over leaving without my kitties. I didn't have any pets when Katrina came around. That's when I found out there are no structures in town that can withstand a Cat 4 storm. It's scary to think about.

Tornados is what I'm afraid of with this storm as it get closr. We will probably get some of the right side quandrant which is the destructive side.
Maybe you could have some practice drills. or would that be to upsetting for your aunt? Either way, good luck.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #35
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Unless I was on an island somewhere and it was the only way I'd be forced to evacuate, I would never choose to evacuate on an airplane. Not with weather threats like hurricane or tornado! (California girl here, I'll take an earthquake any day over a tornado or hurricane!) I'd also never evacuate without my pets. Thanksfully I've only ever had cats or dogs and currently a small dog who has gone nearly everywhere with me. I can't imagine ever leaving a pet behind. And during fire threats in So Calif we've had warnings to prepare for or to evacuate. My family has always had an evacuation and a survival plan and have always been at the ready for a natural disaster. It's smart.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue4u2 View Post
I saw a segment on CNN about where a large bulk of the oil platforms are. It's just slightly west of New Orleans. Looks like the storm is headed straight for that area now.
The damage to oil platforms remains to be seen - it may not be as bad as during Katrina. Oil can always be released from the strategic petroleum reserve. The refineries are what I am more concerned with, but many have been hardened a bit after Katrina. Oil is up only $1 a barrel after Friday's close at this point.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
please.

i condemned Moore's comments.

it's sad when the complaints about some kind of liberal echo chamber in here

become their own echo chamber
Do you think I have a problem with Moore's comments? He has an agenda to push and it sells well. A hurricane is hardly the most evil thing that 'God' has unleashed upon innocent people and the fact that it robs the GOP of the spotlight is a boon for his side (if the devious right doesn't spin it correctly).
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Do you think I have a problem with Moore's comments? He has an agenda to push and it sells well. A hurricane is hardly the most evil thing that 'God' has unleashed upon innocent people and the fact that it robs the GOP of the spotlight is a boon for his side (if the devious right doesn't spin it correctly).

there are times when i miss the forest for the trees in some of your posts.

this is another one of those times.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:35 AM
I just hope and pray Gustav will not hit Nawlins and the people will be alright. It´s another tragedy because some have just finished to renovate their houses and came back, and the music was back. Even if it hits this will not affect the people who are wise enough to move up north. New Orleans has survived last time, it will stand now. I hope they all come back happy and celebrate that Gustav died down before reaching New Orleans. I hope the jazz clubs and the musicians will be fine..
Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I saw on some reports that people being evacuated by bus etc. are allowed to bring their pets this time (most weren't during Katrina). They had loads of crates at the ready for people to use and were telling people what to bring for their pets. I'm not sure I'd evacuate if I had to leave my pets (I don't live in a hurricane area so I've never faced that decision), so I think that will help get more people to leave.
I would NEVER leave my pets! Well, maybe the cats since they have all escaped enough times to prove themselves street smart and able to get home, squeeze into high places above water, but still not likely if I was taking dogs along anyway. I don't live anywhere near hurricane alley but I keep one carrier or box for each cat and twice as many crates as dogs, just in case we ever had to pack up and leave. If a hostel would not take us, we'd sleep in the car or the tent.

Best of luck to all in the southeast...
Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

it seems we really, really, really need the wetlands in SE LA back.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

CNN just said one of the levees is on the verge of collapsing.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:05 AM
I hope everyone is ok it seems that this time people and goverment have taken more actions to save citizens

I just heard on radio that oil barrel drop 4$

:Pray: for all of you
Old 09-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:35 PM
This has just appeared on our online newspaper

Hurricane pushes water over New Orleans' levees - 02 Sep 2008 - NZ Herald: World / International News

I hope everyone is ok My thoughts are with everyone affected...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #45
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Oh crap I was hoping and praying Gustav wouldn't affect the NO levees!