Humour in the Right Wing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Norton

Or just watch FNC's Red Eye. That's way more edgy and rebellious than Stewart, Maher, and the rest could ever hope to be.

Yeah, "edgy and rebellious" at 2am...but aren't we really talking about actually bringing the 'funny'?

I won't make an argument for Maher...he's more entertaining (to me) than funny. But if Jim Norton is funnier than Jon Stewart, then I am a zombie leprechaun from Bangladesh.

I've seen Red Eye more than I care to admit...I guess because I record O'Reilly and Jon Stewart, Dr. Tivo must think I would be interested in Red Eye. But yeah, I have watched it quite a bit. If you skip crap guests, you can cover a lot of ground on shows like that...in about fifteen minutes.

I'm not saying Red Eye isn't occasionally funny because it is. But almost all of the 'funny' has nothing to do with incisive political commentary. And usually the best political commentary is more witty than funny. Like the guy who founded Reason dot com or org...he's pretty sharp. But the host, Gutfeld...good God. When he gets political, he's like one of those guys who says things like "if Black people have BET, then why can't white people have WET"? You know...stuff disaffected thirteen-year-old white kids talk about because girls aren't interested in them. But yeah, it's probably a better show than a lot of people around here would give credit for.

I would characterize Bill Maher that way too...he's rarely funny and incisive at the same time, he says a lot of boneheaded things meant to be 'cutting' and getting right down to the bone. Still, he's fucking entertaining and know how to make a watchable show. And granted Red Eye is a nightly show, it is far from always watchable (of what I've seen). Again, I also think to judge it by some poor examples from some pitiful guests is unfair.

The names everyone is forgetting to mention are (again, Libertarians) Trey Parker and Matt Stone from South Park. I'll take them over most everyone mentioned in this thread. Including the ahead-of-his-time but vastly overrated by trendies, Bill Hicks. While he was fucking undeniably funny, he said a lot of brain-dead shit too.

So are we suggesting that Libertarians are in the Right Wing?

'Cause I'd say at this point, those two belief systems have less and less to do with each other.

So are we suggesting that Libertarians are in the Right Wing?

'Cause I'd say at this point, those two belief systems have less and less to do with each other.

It depends which right wing were talking about, the traditional right, or the right in todays American politics. The former? Usually yes. The latter? No.

Back
Top Bottom