HS Athlete Forfeits Match, Refuses To Wrestle Female Opponent - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
He never said that. He said that he would not fight a girl, but didn't say nobody else shouldn't. And like it or not, combat sports are full of aggression. Wrestling, MMA, Boxing... all sports where a ton of aggression is involved. Even non combat sports - Football and Rugby come to mind - are full of aggression. There is no separating the two.
I said personalized aggression, as in criminal assault rather than the controlled physicality of sport. Any competitive sport taps into aggressive drives, as far as that goes. One of my brothers went to college on a wrestling scholarship and I remember matches that left him with dislocated shoulder, broken finger etc., so yes wrestling can and does cause injuries, but it's not like these girls don't know that.

If I thought the religious element was cut-and-dried, I'd agree on the narrowness of what he was suggesting. It's just not clear to me that it's like that. Obviously this is a sport (like most others) where until recently only boys could participate at all, and that history isn't incidental; there are assumptions about gender underlying it that these girls are challenging. So it matters whether he's coming from a place of upholding those assumptions, or whether it's something strictly personal to him. That's why the girl's father (a former state wrestling champ himself) carefully and diplomatically phrased his response as an understanding that the boy has "strict convictions" and "I don't think it's any kind of boycott about her being a girl." Meaning--a one-person boycott is still a boycott.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I said personalized aggression, as in criminal assault rather than the controlled physicality of sport. \
There is personalized aggression in combat sports. It's not always a sportsman-like contest.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

I get why he's uncomfortable being violent against women... but I don't think having sweaty spandexed balls in his face is in line with his religious teachings either.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life