Howard Zinn - RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are the type of liberal that bans military recruiters from college campuses (cough, cough, Elena Kagan, cough).

maybe the military shouldn't violate Harvard's fairly standard non-discrimination policy. :shrug:

do you have any actual examples, or just vague generalities?

No, I'm talking about the anti-militarism that fails to recognize that wars are fought for many worthwhile reasons including protection of freedoms and home as well as wars to liberate the oppressed. They see no valid wars.

Damn peacniks!!! :rant: Why can't they listen to the new kidnapped by the Neo-Cons version of Jesus, rather than that old washed up version from the Bible.

They are the type of liberal that bans military recruiters from college campuses (cough, cough, Elena Kagan, cough).
Almost as valid as your Obama extracting money from BP argument...

They see no valid wars.

FYM is pretty left-leaning. How many liberals here in the forum agree with this statement. I don't.

I don't say that these groups make up a large number of actual voters in the Democratic Party. But disproportionately they make up those that donate time and money. They are very vocal consistently tugging the party more leftward. Notice Moveon and Daily Kos notifying Congress they would actively campaign against Democrats that voted no on healthcare.

I think the Republicans are far more controlled by the nutcases in their base then the Democrats in theirs. Democrats really can't afford to cater to their extreme base because the country still tends to lean conservative in general. The Republicans have the luxury of being able to enertain the loonies on their side without it costing them.

Democrats really can't afford to cater to their extreme base because the country still tends to lean conservative in general. The Republicans have the luxury of being able to enertain the loonies on their side without it costing them.

:hmm:

So, "extreme" is defined as a conservative leaning country pushing back against a Congress and White House controlled by liberals.

That explains a lot.

So, "extreme" is defined as a conservative leaning country pushing back against a Congress and White House controlled by liberals.

That explains a lot.

No. :|

"Extreme" is the Birthers mentality for example.

I don't find it extreme that the country leans conservative. I happen to be on the conservative side on a number of issues, so in my mind (and I would imagine in the minds of most liberals outside the nutjobs on the extreme left) conservative does not equal extreme.

However, because the country leans conservative, the more extreme viewpoints tend have a little more traction because they resonate in a way that the extreme left doesn't. That's not a criticism of conservatives. It's just an observation.

That explains a lot.

extreme would be the following individuals:

Rubio.jpg

rand-paul.jpg

sharon(2)(1).jpg

sarah-palin-in-the-car.jpg

:ohmy: It would appear you're as anxious to change the definition of "extreme" as you are of "marriage."

Make me laugh and show me a moderate on the Irvine calibrated political spectrum.

:ohmy: It would appear you're as anxious to change the definition of "extreme" as you are of "marriage."

Make me laugh and show me a moderate on the Irvine calibrated political spectrum.

you don't find Rand Paul and Sharon Angle pretty extreme?

underground electric fences guarding us from Mexicans and abolishing the department of education? and Palin speaks for herself. though she's less an extremist and more of a fabulist.

as for moderates -- Obama, Hillary, Biden, Frankin ... pretty much all elected Democrats are moderate, and some are even moderately conservative. in the US, we have a moderate party and a hard right party. there is no hard left in the US, at least that's been elected to office.

you don't find Rand Paul and Sharon Angle pretty extreme?

underground electric fences guarding us from Mexicans and abolishing the department of education? and Palin speaks for herself. though she's less an extremist and more of a fabulist.

as for moderates -- Obama, Hillary, Biden, Frankin ... pretty much all elected Democrats are moderate, and some are even moderately conservative. in the US, we have a moderate party and a hard right party. there is no hard left in the US, at least that's been elected to office.

"we have a moderate party and a hard right party"

Ah, good one. For a minute I thought you were serious.

"we have a moderate party and a hard right party"

Ah, good one. For a minute I thought you were serious.

by the standards of any other industrialized, Western nation -- Australia, the UK, France, and Canada -- that's absolutely 100% true.

but just say it isn't, i guess that's all you can do. :shrug:

by the standards of any other industrialized, Western nation -- Australia, the UK, France, and Canada -- that's absolutely 100% true.

but just say it isn't, i guess that's all you can do. :shrug:

I figured that's what you were doing but why compare American political parties and politicians to other countries? Why not compare them to the American electorate? You know, the one that breaks down as 40% conservative, 40% moderate and 20% liberal.

Then a far different spectrum appears, one in which President Obama, Nancy Pelosi and the Congressional Progressive Caucus (not to mention the MSM) are not only far-left by any measure but just plain out of touch with a majority of American voters. Look at the polls on issue after issue and the real grassroots rise of the Tea Parties.

1980, 1994, 2010. Give Liberals the keys to the government and Americans quickly press reboot.

I figured that's what you were doing but why compare American political parties and politicians to other countries? Why not compare them to the American electorate? You know, the one that breaks down as 40% conservative, 40% moderate and 20% liberal.

Where was this poll?

Oh, the beauty of gray...

I know folks you call themselves conservatives but they're really neo-cons. I know people who call themselves libertarians but they're really just hippies who want legalized drugs. And I know a whole lot of "moderates" that actually fall left or actually fall right.

I probably know of at least one person who fits into every cateory in between.

Just because you think you might fit into the majority doesn't mean you're right, informed, or really anything at all.

Swings happen for a reason and eventually the truth prevails. And one thing I've very assure of is that one group has almost always if not always resided on the wrong side with every social issue in our country's history.

could you source this? also, could you look up the numbers on party affiliation?

Then a far different spectrum appears, one in which President Obama, Nancy Pelosi and the Congressional Progressive Caucus (not to mention the MSM) are not only far-left by any measure but just plain out of touch with a majority of American voters. Look at the polls on issue after issue and the real grassroots rise of the Tea Parties.

why don't you actually show me these polls, and why don't you show me the pull the Tea Party has over anything other than the Republican base, and why don't you show me this blatant bias of the MSM. because it isn't there, and in fact, the MSM skews conservative as a result of the GOP "working the refs" and complaining about bias, which they've openly admitted they've done since the early 1990s. i know you've bought the canard they've been peddling about how it's "liberal," because they're seeking to discredit actual journalism and actual reporting so that you'll more willingly believe what you want to hear, but that doesn't make it true by any stretch of the imagination.

1980, 1994, 2010. Give Liberals the keys to the government and Americans quickly press reboot.

hmm, who controlled Congress until 1994? who won in 1992 and 1996 and is still widely beloved (compared with Bush Jr), who won in a big landslide in 2008? how about 2006?

likewise, who exploded the deficits?

give the GOP the keys to the government and they cut taxes, spend like drunken sailors, and start needless wars and drive the country into the ground.

Speaking of extreme, let me present to you Tom Tancredo:

"We have gone through a whole lot of things, and survived a many things... But nothing, I do not believe, not the Soviet Union during that 35-year period leading up to the fall of the Soviet Union thanks to Ronald Reagan... We had that threat, we survived it. Later we found out we had another threat to our way of life and that was al-Qaeda... But I firmly believe this... The greatest threat to the United States today, the greatest threat to our liberty, the greatest threat to the Constitution of the United States, the greatest threat to our way of life; everything we believe in. The greatest threat to the country that our founding fathers put together is the man that's sitting in the White House today."

Wait, did I say extreme? I meant bat-shit insane.

Irvine, why do hate conservative women?

i'm fine with the Lady Senators from Maine, even Kay Bailey Hutchinson to a degree.

Bachman and Palin celebrate ignorance and extremism and cultural regression to a degree. would you like me to begin with the fanatical Bachman quotes?

Back
Top Bottom