How would you tweak your country's government? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:38 AM
wait, the Constitution isn't flawless and sacred and perfect?

(was going to post something on this as well)
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This is sneaking dangerously close into "if it's in the Bible, it must be moral" territory, which is the entire point of my argument.
No the point of your argument and your amendment is, in your words, to ban "religiously informed thinking" because it is "non-factual thinking."

So you are not dangerously close, you are in the territory of "if it's in the Bible, it must be false."

You are free to think what you will of the Bible and those that think it Holy (that's your free exercise of religion), but if it's "non-factual thinking" you want to ban might I suggest the following:

1) Banning the non-factual thinking that a centralized, top-down, price-controlled, government-mandated health care system will result in an improved, cost-effective, innovative, compassionate, patient-centered practice of medicine in the future.

2) Banning the non-factual thinking that the government can spend and borrow its way out of debt.

3) Banning the non-factual thinking that government spending adds or stimulates the economy. It either first taxes money from the economy before "redistributing" it, borrows money that would otherwise be used by private investors or prints money threatening the value of the dollar. No wealth is created however.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
1) Banning the non-factual thinking that a centralized, top-down, price-controlled, government-mandated health care system will result in an improved, cost-effective, innovative, compassionate, patient-centered practice of medicine in the future.

2) Banning the non-factual thinking that the government can spend and borrow its way out of debt.

3) Banning the non-factual thinking that government spending adds or stimulates the economy. It either first taxes money from the economy before "redistributing" it, borrows money that would otherwise be used by private investors or prints money threatening the value of the dollar. No wealth is created however.



i'm not even going to touch the economics at play here ... i want to only point out that you've made the point.

all of the above can be debated on factual grounds. smart people with fancy degrees and years of study debate this all the time. they use a common, secular language to do so without claiming true knowledge of the whims of an omniscient invisible sky friend.

seems to me that if you are a religious person and you want to prove to me that, say, evolution is "flawed," you'd better provide some secular argument if you hope to get anywhere in a secular democracy.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #64
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, a state could designate the power to choose its electors to Donald Trump.

This is evidence of stunningly bad design in the US Constitution. Just awful.

National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President
I wonder what will spur this into action.
I think the Electoral College is so flawed, and the answer of a popular vote so obvious, it'll probably never happen.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
No the point of your argument and your amendment is, in your words, to ban "religiously informed thinking" because it is "non-factual thinking."

So you are not dangerously close, you are in the territory of "if it's in the Bible, it must be false."

You are free to think what you will of the Bible and those that think it Holy (that's your free exercise of religion), but if it's "non-factual thinking" you want to ban might I suggest the following:

1) Banning the non-factual thinking that a centralized, top-down, price-controlled, government-mandated health care system will result in an improved, cost-effective, innovative, compassionate, patient-centered practice of medicine in the future.

2) Banning the non-factual thinking that the government can spend and borrow its way out of debt.

3) Banning the non-factual thinking that government spending adds or stimulates the economy. It either first taxes money from the economy before "redistributing" it, borrows money that would otherwise be used by private investors or prints money threatening the value of the dollar. No wealth is created however.
The level of disconnect between what GOP supporters believe and how the really real world actually is and behaves is suggestive of mental illness, at this point.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,858
Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
No the point of your argument and your amendment is, in your words, to ban "religiously informed thinking" because it is "non-factual thinking."

So you are not dangerously close, you are in the territory of "if it's in the Bible, it must be false."

You are free to think what you will of the Bible and those that think it Holy (that's your free exercise of religion), but if it's "non-factual thinking" you want to ban might I suggest the following:

1) Banning the non-factual thinking that a centralized, top-down, price-controlled, government-mandated health care system will result in an improved, cost-effective, innovative, compassionate, patient-centered practice of medicine in the future.

2) Banning the non-factual thinking that the government can spend and borrow its way out of debt.

3) Banning the non-factual thinking that government spending adds or stimulates the economy. It either first taxes money from the economy before "redistributing" it, borrows money that would otherwise be used by private investors or prints money threatening the value of the dollar. No wealth is created however.
It's not that the Bible is false. It's that the Bible isn't in and of itself a source of information.

The whole point is that you can't vote on a gay marriage or an abortion or a death penalty, etc. on religious grounds. You cannot force your religion onto the people. You can't try to vote down a gay marriage bill on the basis that God wouldn't like it. Can't happen. That's forcing your religion onto people.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The level of disconnect between what GOP supporters believe and how the really real world actually is and behaves is suggestive of mental illness, at this point.
Yes, well let's give it a proper, medical sounding name then. Debtspiral-phobia.

It's the fear of watching the European welfare state crumble before our eyes while continuing to follow in your footsteps.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Yes, well let's give it a proper, scientific sounding name then. Debtspiral-phobia.

It's the fear of watching the European welfare state crumble before our eyes while continuing to follow in your footsteps.
You really are completely nuts.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,858
Local Time: 10:38 AM
If the GOP cared about the debt, they'd tax the top 2%. They don't care about the debt; they care about 2012. By making debt the issue, they prevent the government from taking care of the real issue: jobs.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
If the GOP cared about the debt, they'd tax the top 2%. They don't care about the debt; they care about 2012. By making debt the issue, they prevent the government from taking care of the real issue: jobs.


they also would have been protesting in 2007, if not earlier, and we'd have had town meetings about the cost of the Super Iraq Adventure.



what's really happening is that the GOP elites are manipulating an economic crisis to dismantle not just the Great Society, but the New Deal itself.

kind of how the Bush admin manipulated 9/11 grief into justifying an attack on a country that didn't attack us with imaginary weapons of mass destruction.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #71
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 02:38 AM
What the hell happened to this thread.

Shame that good discussion we were having about Australia and New Zealand didn't go much further.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,011
Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
You really are completely nuts.
I used to have hope that he was just being sarcastic ...
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #73
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,598
Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
If the GOP cared about the debt, they'd tax the top 2%. They don't care about the debt; they care about 2012. By making debt the issue, they prevent the government from taking care of the real issue: jobs.
not to mention they can sit back and let obama take the blame for everything they have and haven't done. yet if a republican gets elected in 2012 and things don't get better, suddenly it'll be the democrat minority who's supposedly being immature and preventing progress. when the republican president wins by a landslide in 2016 and the economy naturally starts to improve, then it'll be real progress at work thanks to the republicans.

the right is right!
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,428
Local Time: 07:38 AM
I suppose it may be too late to save the intent of this thread, but I'd like to hear from any UK-ers out there. Particularly with regards to whether Scotland can actually pull off independence/devolution in general and how reform for the House of Lords is going.
__________________
mobvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
It's a relatively limited amendment in scope. It would really only affect a couple debates.
You seem to think Jefferson's "separation of church and state" is an important concept to our nation's form of government. I agree. But Thomas Jefferson also wrote in 1786 the Virginia Act for Establishing Religious Freedom. A portion of it is chiseled in stone at the Jefferson Monument.

Quote:
Almighty God hath created the mind free...All attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens...are a departure from the plan of the Holy Author of our religion...No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship or ministry or shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion.
How does that jibe with your amendment?

So actually your amendment strikes at the very root of our liberty. Why? Because prior to the American Revolution no nation declared rights as God-given or recognized the sovereignty in the citizen rather than the government. Philly, the American Revolution was tried with the same "freedom from tyranny" and enlightenment thinking but minus the sky gods you wish to ban from governance. It's called the French Revolution. Didn't turn out so good.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com