How would you tweak your country's government?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you wish to discard this portion of the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

As well as the No Religious Test Clause:

..."no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

Which completely secular government are you wishing us to emulate? I mean, who has this whole "self-governance" figured out so much better than us?

And by which measure do you assume an opinion informed by religion to be less valid than say that of a 20 year-old raised on video games and MTV?
Oh, I don't give a shit what your religion is. There is no religious test. You just don't get to put religious argument on the Congressional record. Exercise your religion all you want. Just don't use your position in government to force it on other people.

By taking religion out, you force people to base their opinions on fact or be ignored. Religiously informed thinking is the only non-factual line of thinking that people can get away with.

Both Australia and New Zealand need to become republics. Immediately. I cannot actually fathom how any intelligent, thinking individual can disagree, it's such an absolute no-brainer.

New Zealand should adopt the Single Transferable Vote (as used by Australia's Senate) in lieu of Mixed Member Proportional representation, or at least incorporate Instant Run-off Voting into the local member aspect of MMP. I mean, MMP is good, but it's frustrating whenever I go to vote in New Zealand and can't rank the candidates in order of preference like I can when I vote in Australia. I'll fucking despair if we vote for a return to First Past The Post in this year's referendum though.

As for the Australian House of Representatives, I keep tossing and turning on whether to allow voters under IRV to only preference as far as they want to rather than rank ALL candidates (as is already done in some states). I can see the argument both ways.

And the Australian Senate? I'd like to assume the population is intelligent and informed enough that we can abolish above the line voting and make everybody vote below the line, but I suspect that assumption is too misplaced to make it workable, especially with compulsory voting.

Speaking of compulsory voting, although New Zealand's high voluntary turn-out sometimes approaches Australia's compulsory turn-out, I would nonetheless make voting compulsory in New Zealand like it is in Australia.

I am definitely a supporter of STV in NZ, but it won't happen. There are 8 unions and 2 political parties in support of MMP and only one small organisation which opposes it and this movement hasn't adopted an alternative.
The main reason we will see no change however is that John Key says he likes MMP -the people love Key too much to disagree with him.
I also agree that NZ should be a republic, and our flag should be the silver fern. If this does happen it will happen after Queen Elizabeth is no longer Queen.

I am however, against compulsory voting. Firstly, if you need voting to be compulsory for some people to vote - I fear for who those people might vote for! Secondly, forcing people to vote against their will forces them to condone and endorse a certain politician or party - and I don't think you should vote if you don't think what a party or candidate does is OK with you

I am definitely a supporter of STV in NZ, but it won't happen. There are 8 unions and 2 political parties in support of MMP and only one small organisation which opposes it and this movement hasn't adopted an alternative.
The main reason we will see no change however is that John Key says he likes MMP -the people love Key too much to disagree with him.
I also agree that NZ should be a republic, and our flag should be the silver fern. If this does happen it will happen after Queen Elizabeth is no longer Queen.

Oh yeah, I've no hope in hell STV will get up in the referendum, though I'm certainly going to do my best to advocate it to anybody who will listen (i.e. about two people, and a few walls).

Totally with you on the flag thing.

I've no comprehension of New Zealand's attachment to the Queen or the popularity of that bland schoolboy John Key, but I suppose those are getting beyond the scope of structural changes in this thread and much more onto contemporary politics ...

I am however, against compulsory voting. Firstly, if you need voting to be compulsory for some people to vote - I fear for who those people might vote for! Secondly, forcing people to vote against their will forces them to condone and endorse a certain politician or party - and I don't think you should vote if you don't think what a party or candidate does is OK with you

I'm not particularly hung up either way on whether the vote should be compulsory or voluntary, but as somebody who is active in both Australian and New Zealand politics, I feel like it works well in Australia. Primarily, it reduces all the cost and fuss associated with "getting out the vote" and compelling people to care enough to show up in the first place. Parties and campaigners can get on with campaigning rather than having to pause and encourage people to vote all the time. New Zealand is lucky that we traditionally record high voluntary turn-outs, but we need only look to the US to see how bad it can be.

Moreover, I would consider voting a civic duty akin to paying tax, and voting requires far less effort to do. It reduces problems associated with access to the vote, and quite importantly means people show up even when the weather is bad (seriously, compare the turn-out at any Kiwi election on a nice day to any election on a miserable one; it's lower at the latter). And, of course, if somebody really doesn't want to vote, nobody is stopping them from getting their name ticked off the roll, getting their ballot, intentionally spoiling it while in the polling booth, and dropping it in the ballot box. Just look at the high number of protest informal votes at last year's Aussie federal election.

There are abstract arguments that compulsory voting generates greater political awareness (people have to vote, so they are more likely to take time out and learn something, anything) and gives the victor more legitimacy. I'm not sure if any major studies have been done for or against those propositions though.

But I'm certainly sympathetic to some of the arguments against - as you say, god knows who some non-voters may vote for out of sheer ignorance or apathy (I like to play a game at election time to see what totally unknown people with "cool" names poll better than equally unknown people with commonplace names), that there should be a freedom to chooe not to vote if unsatisfied with any of the options, and that compulsory voting potentially benefits large parties to the detriment of smaller ones as uninformed voters vote on the basis of name recognition. But given the arguments in favour of compulsory voting, and the fact third parties are very much alive and well in Australia, I nonetheless incline towards it. Though it's probably not an urgency at the present in New Zealand - maybe if turn-out nosedives, it's worth more consideration.

Phew! Did I really write that much on something I tacked on as an afterthought? Forgive me.

I'm not particularly hung up either way on whether the vote should be compulsory or voluntary, but as somebody who is active in both Australian and New Zealand politics, I feel like it works well in Australia. Primarily, it reduces all the cost and fuss associated with "getting out the vote" and compelling people to care enough to show up in the first place. Parties and campaigners can get on with campaigning rather than having to pause and encourage people to vote all the time. New Zealand is lucky that we traditionally record high voluntary turn-outs, but we need only look to the US to see how bad it can be.

Moreover, I would consider voting a civic duty akin to paying tax, and voting requires far less effort to do. It reduces problems associated with access to the vote, and quite importantly means people show up even when the weather is bad (seriously, compare the turn-out at any Kiwi election on a nice day to any election on a miserable one; it's lower at the latter). And, of course, if somebody really doesn't want to vote, nobody is stopping them from getting their name ticked off the roll, getting their ballot, intentionally spoiling it while in the polling booth, and dropping it in the ballot box. Just look at the high number of protest informal votes at last year's Aussie federal election.

Certainly would reduce costs of the campaigns to get people to vote - and perhaps a good measure of dissatisfaction with the field would be intentionally spoiled protest votes!
But then you have these people who are politically unaware voting for the worst parties or the familiar names (the media hogs) or the candidates whose last names begin with "A" as they are on top! (this happens for council elections in NZ!).
But as you say - not a big issue in NZ - I don't know anything about Australia!

[OFF TOPIC: - Thank you so much for U2gigs! - I went there every day during 360!]

Can I just say that I think it's great we've had some New Zealand discussion in this thread? That's become increasingly rare on FYM ... I remember when we used to have a thread for Kiwi elections, and threads on Aussie politics too. I guess Kiwi and Aussie topics are in some ways now covered by the Australia/NZ thread on Lemonade Stand though.

Certainly would reduce costs of the campaigns to get people to vote - and perhaps a good measure of dissatisfaction with the field would be intentionally spoiled protest votes!
But then you have these people who are politically unaware voting for the worst parties or the familiar names (the media hogs) or the candidates whose last names begin with "A" as they are on top! (this happens for council elections in NZ!).
But as you say - not a big issue in NZ - I don't know anything about Australia!

[OFF TOPIC: - Thank you so much for U2gigs! - I went there every day during 360!]

It's interesting that you bring up the local council elections. Only once have I chosen to not vote in an election - for the last Kapiti Council elections. I'm registered to vote on the Kapiti Coast, but I've spent only about a month of the last few years there; lately, my time in New Zealand has been spent elsewhere. I felt like it was almost impossible to find out anything meaningful enough about the candidates for me to cast a vote that was informed in any way. The little blurbs I could find all basically said the same thing, "I've lived on the Kapiti Coast for x-amount of decades and I love it here and I'll make it better, for real", so I opted not to cast a completely uninformed vote for the guy with the coolest name. The local health board component of that election seemed even more meaningless.

However, since voting in local elections is compulsory in Victoria (it's not in all Aussie states), there seemed to be much more of an effort by candidates to make themselves known and to differentiate themselves from the pack. I was able to cast an informed vote, and felt confident I had chosen the best candidates, even though I had actually spent most of my time leading up to that election in New Zealand. So there's a perk of compulsory voting.

[Thank you! I really need to run some new articles on the site ... got a few ideas, but honestly just have a bit of post-tour burnout and haven't quite got around to it yet.]

So you wish to discard this portion of the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

As well as the No Religious Test Clause:

..."no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

Which completely secular government are you wishing us to emulate? I mean, who has this whole "self-governance" figured out so much better than us?

And by which measure do you assume an opinion informed by religion to be less valid than say that of a 20 year-old raised on video games and MTV?

Are you just pretending not to understand?

Can I just say that I think it's great we've had some New Zealand discussion in this thread? That's become increasingly rare on FYM ... I remember when we used to have a thread for Kiwi elections, and threads on Aussie politics too. I guess Kiwi and Aussie topics are in some ways now covered by the Australia/NZ thread on Lemonade Stand though.

Maybe I'll start an election thread after the Rugby World Cup, but I don't think it will get much discussion! Especially as it doesn't look like it will be much of a contest.

can't bring yourself to say where, huh? :wink:

now that i'm living in nz i should contribute tweaks for them too, but i'm not familiar enough with nz politics to say much. i do know the gst is too high and john key is a plonker.

:lol: Though I've spent a decent amount of time in Wellington and Nelson the last few years as well as on the North Shore. I tried to get some time on the Kapiti Coast last year but only managed a couple of days. :(

I think New Zealand, structurally speaking, is doing fairly reasonably. A lot of our past decisions have worked out quite well. Obviously our whole "let's give women the vote before any other country" idea has done pretty damn well for itself. The abolition of the provinces in 1876 probably happened earlier than it should've, but only by a couple of decades; they would have become unnecessary by 1900 and unworkable by the 1930s. The abolition of the Legislative Council by Sidney Holland's "suicide squad" in 1950 hasn't had dire consequences either; while I can see why some people argue for restoring the upper house, New Zealand's functioning quite alright as a unicameral state. The Maori seats - despite some controversy and a somewhat awkward historical origin - are a pretty good way of having a truly bicultural parliament.

And so on and so forth. Most of the changes I would make would not be structural, but policy-related; gay marriage, re-nationalising a couple of industries, greater public transport investment, that sort of thing. I would absolutely restore the restriction on road freight. We used to have a requirement that for any goods travelling more than 50 kilometres, if there was a railway, it had to go by rail rather than clogging the roads with trucks. The distance was gradually extended until it was abolished altogether in the 1980s. Bringing that back would be a boon for New Zealand's eco-credentials, give KiwiRail a valuable injection of funds, and get trucks off some of the nation's most worn down and dangerous roads.

Maybe I'll start an election thread after the Rugby World Cup, but I don't think it will get much discussion! Especially as it doesn't look like it will be much of a contest.

I'll be active in it, if nothing else! I'm kind of excited, since - all going to plan - this will be the first time I will actually vote IN New Zealand; at all previous elections, I've had to cast my vote in Australia. But yeah, the result looks like being a disappointing non-event ...

The abolition of the Legislative Council by Sidney Holland's "suicide squad" in 1950 hasn't had dire consequences either; while I can see why some people argue for restoring the upper house, New Zealand's functioning quite alright as a unicameral state.

:hmm: Oh, that sounds like an interesting story, I did not know NZ was unicameral. In the states we only have, weirdly, Nebraska that decided to do the unicameral thing. I too was half-drunk while starting this post so that's why #1 in the OP is written a little loosely. :lol:

I'm sure if the panhandle of Oklahoma wanted to secede from the rest of Oklahoma to form their own state and send 2 conservative senators to D.C. Democrats would have no qualms, right?

Considerations about geographical representation should exist; that's why as long as we accept the notion of Alaska being a state, its relative underpopulation I find far more acceptable. Ditto for Montana. The flipside is a place like Rhode Island, which, as long as we're at it, is also probably too tiny and should be merged elsewhere.

This sort of arbitrary Oklahoma split is part of what I thought happened with North and South Dakota? It's not that there are substantial geographic or cultural issues that would be addressed by the split (the logic behind splitting Washington state, for example, along the Cascade Mountains into a liberal wet coastal west and conservative dry inland east), it's solely about packing the Senate.

As far as practical considerations the simplest and most direct method appears to be straight up D.C. Statehood. This is because (I think) neither Virginia or Maryland wants the D.C voters, so the ideal retrocession may be impossible. At that point, what's left? The status quo, or a good solution with flaws?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

~Thomas Jefferson

T Jeff also thought the future of America lay in agriculture

Generally speaking, the proportion which the aggregate of the other classes of citizens bears in any state to that of its husbandmen is the proportion of its unsound to its healthy parts, and is a... barometer whereby to measure its degree of corruption. While we have land to labor then, led us never wish to see our citizens occupied at a workbench, or twirling a distaff. Carpenters, masons, smiths, are wanting in husbandry; but, for the general operations of manufacture, let our workshops remain in Europe. It is better to carry provisions and materials to workmen there than bring them to the provisions and materials, and with them their manners and principles. The loss by the transportation of commodities across the Atlantic will be made up in happiness and permanence of government. The mobs of great cities add just so much to the support of pure government, as sores do to the strength of the human body. It is the manners and the spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the hearts of its laws and constitution.

:hmm: Oh, that sounds like an interesting story, I did not know NZ was unicameral. In the states we only have, weirdly, Nebraska that decided to do the unicameral thing. I too was half-drunk while starting this post so that's why #1 in the OP is written a little loosely. :lol:

Basically, when New Zealand was granted self-government in 1852 by the UK, the legislation bestowed upon us a provincial system (six provinces initially; a total of ten existed but never more than nine at once) and a bicameral General Assembly. Since then, we've quite significantly simplified things. The House of Representatives was elective, on what was a very liberal franchise for the 1850s and subsequently became one of the most liberal in the world (New Zealand now allows permanent residents to vote as well as citizens), but the Legislative Council was made up of lifelong nominees - despite the original intention to make it elective too. Both the provinces and the nominated Council proved quite controversial. The provinces were abolished in 1876 amidst a lot of political bickering, but the Council hung on much longer. In 1891, the nominations were at least cut from lifelong to seven years by a new government in response to the outgoing government staking the Council with its mates.

There were various attempts made to reform the Council in the 20th century, the most promising of which was put on hold by WWI and never revived post-war. By the 1940s, the Council was seen as basically obsolete; it rarely debated bills sent up from the House and had become something of a rubber-stamp authority. Both of the major parties thus agreed on its abolition. In 1950, Sidney Holland, the Prime Minister at the time, thus expanded the Council's numbers from 34 to 54 and appointed twenty politicians at the end of their political careers to vote for the abolition of the Council - the "suicide squad". He dangled a huge carrot in front of them: some of the money saved through abolition would be put towards a retirement fund for the ex-Councillors. That persuaded a sufficient number of the existing 34 to join the suicide squad in voting themselves out of existence, and that was that. It ceased to exist in 1951.

At least some politicians at the time perceived this as an interim measure and that, in due course, a new upper house would be established with more power and influence, but it never happened. When we switched our electoral system from First Past The Post to Mixed Member Proportional in the mid-1990s, there were some proposals to restore the upper house - either in conjunction with or as an alternative to the electoral reform.

(Incidentally, in Australia, Queensland did a similar thing to abolish their upper house in 1922 and remains Australia's only unicameral state to this day, but I am not familiar with the history in that case. Both of Australia's territories, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory, are also unicameral.)

Oh, and for the Canadians on FYM, some Canadian politicians in the late 19th century looked favourably upon New Zealand's abolition of its provinces and considered doing something similar in Canada. Obviously that never quite got off the ground ...

I would absolutely restore the restriction on road freight. We used to have a requirement that for any goods travelling more than 50 kilometres, if there was a railway, it had to go by rail rather than clogging the roads with trucks.
yes! even america needs this. there's a spot in memphis where if you're travelling southeast (so towards atlanta, alabama, etc.) it is just gridlock. bumper-to-bumper traffic, because it's two lanes in each direction and traffic lights, so the trucks get up to a decent speed, then have to stop all over again for a red light. this is just one example and it is slowly getting better, but the number of trucks (here too) on the road day in, day out everywhere is nuts. i could go on for ages but i don't want to derail the thread or anything.

50ks? Really? Our trucks are very important and there's not enough rail to service them.

I would make America include tax in the price. Ludicrous that you don't.

I would make America include tax in the price. Ludicrous that you don't.
i figure it's probably because the sales tax varies from state to state. i'd prefer to not have laws and taxes wildly vary from state to state like they do now. plus if i could tweak the laws, a lot of stuff wouldn't even have sales tax, and what does wouldn't be as high as it is now.

50ks? Really? Our trucks are very important and there's not enough rail to service them.

Seriously, given the underhanded ways the trucking lobby has meddled with Australian and Kiwi politics (in everything from road safety to environment policy), I am hardly inclined to take even a vaguely positive view of the trucking industry. But that aside ...

The main reason for the law - besides ensuring traffic for the railways, a state investment - was to level the playing field between road and rail. Rail freight has to pay for the construction and upkeep of all of its track and other associated infrastructure, like bridges and tunnels. Road freight, on the other hand, uses public roads built and maintained through public money; trucking causes the vast bulk of wear and tear to roads, yet through licence registration and other such fees, pays only a pittance for their upkeep. Essentially, public maintenance of roads has been subsidising the trucking industry for decades.

So what the Kiwi law was intended to do was to hand over long distance haulage to the railways - for which the bulk carrying capacity of railways is especially suited - while allowing trucking to fan out from railway depots over short distances for deliveries to the door and to small towns without railways, and to allow trucks to carry freight over long distances where the railway did not go. For example, if you wanted to send freight from Westport to Nelson, where there was no equivalent railway connection, you sent it by truck. However, if it was going from Westport to Christchurch, there was an equivalent railway and it had to go by rail. And if it was only going from Westport to Inangahua, a very short distance, then you could choose between road and rail.

This worked out pretty well for some time, but by the 1960s, the Railways had become complacent and were stereotypically known for slow delivery, unreliability, and goods being damaged. So the law was eventually rolled back until being completely done away with in the 1980s. I've always thought that was terribly unfortunate, because if it had held on for another 10 or 15 years, I think it would have survived and would today be a cornerstone of New Zealand's eco-friendly credentials. I mean, especially for long distance bulk haulage, trucking is dramatically more costly - both to public money for roads, and to the environment - not to mention less efficient. And who really wants four hundred coal trucks charging through the Southern Alps a day when that same freight can be put on ten trains? (And if the Otira Tunnel weren't such a fucking nightmare, that would be about five trains.)

Of course, if the legislation were re-introduced today, I would suggest that it include requirements that the railway service be competitive and efficient instead of returning to the sometimes farcical 1960s standards, and perhaps make some exclusions for time-sensitive freight. A lot of the infrastructure is there, or will be in a heartbeat if the playing field is levelled. I don't know if any Australian states have ever had similar legislation, though it would not surprise me as all the railways used to be state-owned ...

Oh, I don't give a shit what your religion is. There is no religious test. You just don't get to put religious argument on the Congressional record. Exercise your religion all you want. Just don't use your position in government to force it on other people.

I guess it's fair to say we have very differing definitions of "free exercise."
By taking religion out, you force people to base their opinions on fact or be ignored. Religiously informed thinking is the only non-factual line of thinking that people can get away with.

Unfortunately, your philosophy shows a dangerous ignorance of America's religious heritage as well as the very nature of unalienable rights and human freedom.

does "free exercise" include the right to discriminate against?

America's religious heritage

which has always been predicated upon people of all (or no) faiths participating in a secular system.

the notion that we are all from the same Creator was understood as why we are all deserving of equal rights, not that we need to believe in a Creator in order to be citizens.

these people were deists. they did not believe that God had anything to do with the world as it always spun forwards.

does "free exercise" include the right to discriminate against?
No, I could not use government as a means to discriminate against your sovereign rights. But neither should a secularist use government to discriminate against those of religious faith.

which has always been predicated upon people of all (or no) faiths participating in a secular system.
Yes, quite right. But a secular system is not the same as a secular populace.
The Founders designed a system of government and law that would reflect the morals and values of society while protecting individual liberty.

the notion that we are all from the same Creator was understood as why we are all deserving of equal rights, not that we need to believe in a Creator in order to be citizens.
Didn't say it did.
I'm not the one excluding pure secular reasoning (if such a thing can even exist in in a culture built on hundreds of years of religious thought) it is Philly who wishes to restrict political thought.

these people were deists. they did not believe that God had anything to do with the world as it always spun forwards.

Not even close to factual.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."
– Closing sentence of the Declaration of Independence

And we have this official description of the Great Seal:

The pyramid signifies strength and duration: The eye over it and the motto, Annuit Coeptis (He [God] has favored our undertakings), allude to the many interventions of Providence in favor of the American cause. The date underneath is that of the Declaration of Independence and the words under it, Novus Ordo Seclorum (A new order of the ages), signify the beginning of the new American era in 1776.

And 1000's of quotes to the contrary from every president worth quoting.

Unfortunately, your philosophy shows a dangerous ignorance of America's religious heritage as well as the very nature of unalienable rights and human freedom.
You can't use your position in government to force your religious views upon the public. How is that stomping on anyone's rights? I want to prevent rights from being stomped on.

And I'm well aware of our religious heritage. What am I not understanding, in your view?

The Founders designed a system of government and law that would reflect the morals and values of society while protecting individual liberty.
This is sneaking dangerously close into "if it's in the Bible, it must be moral" territory, which is the entire point of my argument.

I think mobvok already pinpointed what the problem with such an amendment would be: we'd be asking courts to ajudicate the beliefs of legislators rather than the content of the law, which is inherently incompatible with freedom of religion. What would be the criteria for determining whether a political position is religious in origin or not? The legislator says it is? If s/he doesn't say so, what then, you investigate his or her church membership history? What if another legislator with no known religious background holds the same position, is s/he guilty by virtue of intellectual similarity, or is s/he off the hook due to lack of evidence concerning the source of his/her beliefs?

This seems like a pretty big deal:

Laura Olson reports on the happenings in Harrisburg, where Republicans now control all of the branches of government:

Senate Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi is trying to gather support to change the state's "winner-takes-all" approach for awarding electoral votes. Instead, he's suggesting that Pennsylvania dole them out based on which candidate wins each of the 18 congressional districts, with the final two going to the contender with the most votes statewide.

In other reports, Pileggi sounds awfully sanguine about the effect this would have on PA as a swing state. Why even bring that up? Pennsylvania is typically a closely-divided state, and while it's gone Democratic in every election since 1992, it's been heavily campaigned-in every year.

So, let's pretend this is a totally political neutral decision. If the next Republican candidate breaks the streak and wins the state, it would be horrible for him -- he'd shed electoral votes. But if the president wins, he's down at least nine, possibly ten electoral votes, because congressional districting is slanted towards the GOP.

Here's what I mean. In 2008, Barack Obama won the state by 10 points (overcoming a last-minute hoax scare wherein a Republican volunteer faked a mugging and claimed a black man carved a B on her face, for Barack). But the congressional map had been gerrymandered by Republicans in 2001, and John McCain ended up winning 10 of 19 congressional districts. If the Pileggi plan had been in place, Obama's rout would have given him a slim 11-10 electoral vote victory. If Republicans do a smarter gerrymander this time, they could craft an 11-7 map, or even a 12-6 map (they'll have 18 to work with, thanks to the Census taking one seat away). Let's say Obama carries Pennsylvania narrowly, but loses 11 congressional districts. In that scenario, the winner of the Pennsylvania popular vote takes nine EVs; the loser takes 11 EVs. How's that reform look to you?

The point isn't "eeeeevil Republicans!", it's this:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct,
a Number of Electors
, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives
to which the State may be entitled in the Congress

There is no requirement that an election for President be held.

If I'm reading this correctly, a state could designate the power to choose its electors to Donald Trump.

This is evidence of stunningly bad design in the US Constitution. Just awful.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Back
Top Bottom