How responsible is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
A plastic gun made in a 3D printer fired real bullets during demonstrations over the weekend. Texas-based Defense Distributed has just made the blueprints for the gun available free so it can be replicated by others in their own 3D printers.

The non-profit group, which says it aims to challenge gun laws, posted a video of a successful test firing of its Liberator pistol on its blog Sunday. The group held demonstrations for the media at a Texas firing range this on Friday and Saturday.

The pistol is made of plastic using a 3D printer, which deposits the material layer by layer by squirting it out as it scans across, line by line, the way a regular printer does. Its only non-plastic part is a metal nail that is used as a firing pin — the only part of the gun that would be detectable by metal detectors used to check for weapons.

The video invites people to download the CAD (computer-aided design) file for the gun from a website called DEFCAD.

See how a 3D printer works

The file is available for free. However, anyone who tries to download the file is invited to donate money to the group's "Wiki Weapon" project.

Working gun can be made by anyone using a 3D printer - Americas - World - The Independent

I thought that maybe this should have it's own thread, since theoretically this has the potential of making any current gun control measures obsolete, along with most detection.

My question is how irresponsible can this individual be? He literally shot the first successful recorded bullet from said gun and then posted and advertised the blueprints hours later. The chance of a threat in an airplane or courthouse just increased 10 fold, if not more, overnight.

Maybe it's the 32 hours I've been awake, but defcad looks far too much like defecate to me.

But it's okay, because the US allows people to legally make firearms in their homes, they just need to be licensed to sell them! Give me a break, might as well argue that if the founding fathers had foreseen this technology...Scalia-esque interpretations of the constitution...2nd amendment...batshit crazy doom and gloom the world is coming to an end and we need to protect ourselves from Obama....add in the pseudo-communist people owning the means of production thing for a few extra laughs...and it has the potential to turn into something worrisome indeed.

I don't really know what a crypto-anarchist is, but the quotes from that guy in the article I read last night (which may or may not have been the one you linked, since I didn't check), made me want to punch the guy in the face.

This was inevitable and there will be more problems aside from guns. What do you do though? Make blueprints illegal? If someone wants to print a gun for illegal use, nobody will know until they use it anyway, so banning them is pointless. The only real step to take is to make the penalty for being in possession of one ridiculously strict.

This was inevitable and there will be more problems aside from guns. What do you do though? Make blueprints illegal?

No, but that thing that conservatives always pride themselves on, "personal responsibility" should be more than a slogan.

This was a publicity stunt gone horribly wrong. Here's a young college Republican that can't see beyond his nose, and he just placed the weapon in his enemy's hands.

No, but that thing that conservatives always pride themselves on, "personal responsibility" should be more than a slogan.

This was a publicity stunt gone horribly wrong. Here's a young college Republican that can't see beyond his nose, and he just placed the weapon in his enemy's hands.

Oh, I'm not defending him, that's for sure. It's an asshole move. I'm just saying it's one that was going to happen sooner or later. And now trying to deal with the reality poses some unique questions

Oh, I'm not defending him, that's for sure. It's an asshole move. I'm just saying it's one that was going to happen sooner or later. And now trying to deal with the reality poses some unique questions

Oh, absolutely. I just find it interesting(for a lack of a better word) that it came from this particular individual. His politics(of fear) will feed his own fear.

I don't like this.

The very first 3d printer was demonstrated on my college campus in the late 90's. I was in the college of architecture and it was originally designed with the intent to build architectural models.

Just to give you some perspective...

The very first 3d printer was demonstrated on my college campus in the late 90's. I was in the college of architecture and it was originally designed with the intent to build architectural models.

Just to give you some perspective...

I guess the more I think about it, I was aware this existed, but...holy shit, this might be the scariest technology, from a potential level, I have seen in my lifetime.

How the hell do you print something with internal moving parts, like a gun? That's crazy.

:doh: That makes sense. They're using blueprints, so the individual pieces would be highlighted.

Apparently you can buy a 3D printer at Staples, which puts them in the running for most evil chain store or something.

I really don't see what makes 3D printers any more evil or terrifying than, you know, a whole damn bunch of other things humanity has invented.

And yeah, I'm well aware of the link posted at the top of the thread and I still think widespread guns are dangerous, even of the guns look like they were purchased at Cheap as Chips, but I still think the coolness factor of 3D printers outweighs the inevitability of dickish stuff like this.

Yeah I don't care at all really. Sounds like one of those classic inventions that could potentially be soiled by assholes doing their thing. Like the internet.

Plastic guns... basically the whole premise of this move:

large_k96sIyWl6N9k1uneF51UN4Fzhne.jpg

We have one where I work. The problem is the stuff is so expensive you might as well just buy whatever it is you're trying to replicate. For example there is a small plastic piece of equipment that I use to build (dog) agility equipment they could easily replicate for me but it's probably 5 times cheaper for me to just order more of those parts and pay the shipping.

We have one where I work. The problem is the stuff is so expensive you might as well just buy whatever it is you're trying to replicate.

I was going to ask about that. If it's anywhere near the price:volume ratio of ink, it seems pointless (I assume it's more expensive than ink)

solome... i'm pretty sure that Malkovich's character used mold making for his plastic gun/parts therein. i don't remember seeing any 3D type printer on hid s work table etc

i think i first read about it in like Asimov's SF & Science magazine back in the ?late 80's. They were talking abouit it at certain manufactoring plants back there for making up various proto-types for testing relatively quickly.

The price on these 3D printers keeps going down. It's crossed the point about a year or so ago where in middle class people can afford them....with some savib up involved.

In the past 2-3 months I've seen 2 maybe 3 TV shows where the villians printed their own guns....one using powered metal not plastic.

it's pretty much a nuetral tech that can go boths ways.

I just hope evetually if not now that the plastics will be biodegradable.

If anyone is interested and sees a local/regional Maker Faire in their area- they do alot on 3D printers!
The big USA one is been held at the old 64-65 World Fair grounds (something Queens Park now) in the still Aztive Hall Of Science...aqnd grounds nearby.
i finally ot there last Sept after 2 previous yrs of not missing it!

solome... i'm pretty sure that Malkovich's character used mold making for his plastic gun/parts therein. i don't remember seeing any 3D type printer on hid s work table etc

i think i first read about it in like Asimov's SF & Science magazine back in the ?late 80's. They were talking abouit it at certain manufactoring plants back there for making up various proto-types for testing relatively quickly.

The price on these 3D printers keeps going down. It's crossed the point about a year or so ago where in middle class people can afford them....with some savib up involved.

In the past 2-3 months I've seen 2 maybe 3 TV shows where the villians printed their own guns....one using powered metal not plastic.

it's pretty much a nuetral tech that can go boths ways.

I just hope evetually if not now that the plastics will be biodegradable.

If anyone is interested and sees a local/regional Maker Faire in their area- they do alot on 3D printers!
The big USA one is been held at the old 64-65 World Fair grounds (something Queens Park now) in the still Aztive Hall Of Science...aqnd grounds nearby.
i finally ot there last Sept after 2 previous yrs of not missing it!

re:movie, yeah, you're right. but the idea in the movie is that such a gun could bypass metal detectors.

in this day and age, with TSA and school security, security checks would be much tougher.

The argument for 3d printed guns is two-fold: 1.) 1st Amendment (free speech, exchange of info, and open source as far as blueprints for design goes) and 2.) 2nd Amendment.

Yeah I don't care at all really. Sounds like one of those classic inventions that could potentially be soiled by assholes doing their thing. Like the internet.

This is kind of my fear. This utopia where anyone can make anything sounds nice, but what's it going to do to an economy, and people's jobs?

without reading any of this,
I think this is just silly,

the cost and time involved in making this improvised gun are much more than any one but a hobbyist would bother with

this still requires a real bullet, if one has that and no gun they could go to a harware store or stationary store and buy a flashlight or some plumbing parts, plus other pieces and make a zip gun

Improvised firearm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maglite_zip_gun.jpg

A_Crude_Indian_Homemade_%22Gun%22_.jpg

without reading any of this,
I think this is just silly,

the cost and time involved in making this improvised gun are much more than any one but a hobbyist would bother with

this still requires a real bullet, if one has that and no gun they could go to a harware store or stationary store and buy a flashlight or some plumbing parts, plus other pieces and make a zip gun

Improvised firearm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maglite_zip_gun.jpg

A_Crude_Indian_Homemade_%22Gun%22_.jpg

It might be being blown out of proportion a little bit. I think the issue is that it really doesn't take that much time; you can just download someone else's cad files. and it's a relatively passive procedure; there's no labour involved. It also produces an undetectable plastic gun ^ don't think that thing is getting past any security check points. Don't you guys have laws against firearms that aren't detectable by traditional metal detectors?

And I guess really, if you wanted to build a plastic gun a year ago, nothing was stopping you. the only new factors are ease and accessibility.

Pretty soon they'll start blowing up in people's hands and that will be the end of it

I did find a vid of the guy firing his gun. If it does not have a metal barrel the accuracy and range would be useless. He did not fire it at a target.

There was an uproar when Glocks came on the market because they are mostly plastic.

I did find a vid of the guy firing his gun. If it does not have a metal barrel the accuracy and range would be useless. He did not fire it at a target.

There was an uproar when Glocks came on the market because they are mostly plastic.

I saw the video. The guy thinks he's such a bad ass

Back
Top Bottom