How responsible is this? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 10:18 PM
That makes sense. They're using blueprints, so the individual pieces would be highlighted.

Apparently you can buy a 3D printer at Staples, which puts them in the running for most evil chain store or something.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
I really don't see what makes 3D printers any more evil or terrifying than, you know, a whole damn bunch of other things humanity has invented.

And yeah, I'm well aware of the link posted at the top of the thread and I still think widespread guns are dangerous, even of the guns look like they were purchased at Cheap as Chips, but I still think the coolness factor of 3D printers outweighs the inevitability of dickish stuff like this.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
The Male

Yeah I don't care at all really. Sounds like one of those classic inventions that could potentially be soiled by assholes doing their thing. Like the internet.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 01:18 AM
Plastic guns... basically the whole premise of this move:

Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

We have one where I work. The problem is the stuff is so expensive you might as well just buy whatever it is you're trying to replicate. For example there is a small plastic piece of equipment that I use to build (dog) agility equipment they could easily replicate for me but it's probably 5 times cheaper for me to just order more of those parts and pay the shipping.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
We have one where I work. The problem is the stuff is so expensive you might as well just buy whatever it is you're trying to replicate.
I was going to ask about that. If it's anywhere near the price:volume ratio of ink, it seems pointless (I assume it's more expensive than ink)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

solome... i'm pretty sure that Malkovich's character used mold making for his plastic gun/parts therein. i don't remember seeing any 3D type printer on hid s work table etc

i think i first read about it in like Asimov's SF & Science magazine back in the ?late 80's. They were talking abouit it at certain manufactoring plants back there for making up various proto-types for testing relatively quickly.

The price on these 3D printers keeps going down. It's crossed the point about a year or so ago where in middle class people can afford them....with some savib up involved.

In the past 2-3 months I've seen 2 maybe 3 TV shows where the villians printed their own guns....one using powered metal not plastic.

it's pretty much a nuetral tech that can go boths ways.

I just hope evetually if not now that the plastics will be biodegradable.

If anyone is interested and sees a local/regional Maker Faire in their area- they do alot on 3D printers!
The big USA one is been held at the old 64-65 World Fair grounds (something Queens Park now) in the still Aztive Hall Of Science...aqnd grounds nearby.
i finally ot there last Sept after 2 previous yrs of not missing it!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
solome... i'm pretty sure that Malkovich's character used mold making for his plastic gun/parts therein. i don't remember seeing any 3D type printer on hid s work table etc

i think i first read about it in like Asimov's SF & Science magazine back in the ?late 80's. They were talking abouit it at certain manufactoring plants back there for making up various proto-types for testing relatively quickly.

The price on these 3D printers keeps going down. It's crossed the point about a year or so ago where in middle class people can afford them....with some savib up involved.

In the past 2-3 months I've seen 2 maybe 3 TV shows where the villians printed their own guns....one using powered metal not plastic.

it's pretty much a nuetral tech that can go boths ways.

I just hope evetually if not now that the plastics will be biodegradable.

If anyone is interested and sees a local/regional Maker Faire in their area- they do alot on 3D printers!
The big USA one is been held at the old 64-65 World Fair grounds (something Queens Park now) in the still Aztive Hall Of Science...aqnd grounds nearby.
i finally ot there last Sept after 2 previous yrs of not missing it!
re:movie, yeah, you're right. but the idea in the movie is that such a gun could bypass metal detectors.

in this day and age, with TSA and school security, security checks would be much tougher.

The argument for 3d printed guns is two-fold: 1.) 1st Amendment (free speech, exchange of info, and open source as far as blueprints for design goes) and 2.) 2nd Amendment.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yeah I don't care at all really. Sounds like one of those classic inventions that could potentially be soiled by assholes doing their thing. Like the internet.
This is kind of my fear. This utopia where anyone can make anything sounds nice, but what's it going to do to an economy, and people's jobs?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

without reading any of this,
I think this is just silly,

the cost and time involved in making this improvised gun are much more than any one but a hobbyist would bother with

this still requires a real bullet, if one has that and no gun they could go to a harware store or stationary store and buy a flashlight or some plumbing parts, plus other pieces and make a zip gun

Improvised firearm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
without reading any of this,
I think this is just silly,

the cost and time involved in making this improvised gun are much more than any one but a hobbyist would bother with

this still requires a real bullet, if one has that and no gun they could go to a harware store or stationary store and buy a flashlight or some plumbing parts, plus other pieces and make a zip gun

Improvised firearm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It might be being blown out of proportion a little bit. I think the issue is that it really doesn't take that much time; you can just download someone else's cad files. and it's a relatively passive procedure; there's no labour involved. It also produces an undetectable plastic gun ^ don't think that thing is getting past any security check points. Don't you guys have laws against firearms that aren't detectable by traditional metal detectors?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

And I guess really, if you wanted to build a plastic gun a year ago, nothing was stopping you. the only new factors are ease and accessibility.

Pretty soon they'll start blowing up in people's hands and that will be the end of it
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I did find a vid of the guy firing his gun. If it does not have a metal barrel the accuracy and range would be useless. He did not fire it at a target.

There was an uproar when Glocks came on the market because they are mostly plastic.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I did find a vid of the guy firing his gun. If it does not have a metal barrel the accuracy and range would be useless. He did not fire it at a target.

There was an uproar when Glocks came on the market because they are mostly plastic.
I saw the video. The guy thinks he's such a bad ass
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

solemole

yes, you are absolutely right that the one of the
points in the movie was the Non-detection
by metal deteciors of the plastic gun.