How Obama got elected.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This would be a little easier to take seriously if it wasn't coming from someone who made a point of mocking Hillary at every turn when she was the Democratic frontrunner.

I like Hillary. In fact, I defended her around here during the primaries, when she was being called a shrill harpy on a very regular basis. But the fact is, she's a very strong woman and politician, and I hardly think an SNL skit was able to do her in. She dishes it out just as well as she can take it. Further, she appeared on SNL long after the skit that you posted aired, so I doubt very much that she bears any grudges, or that she thinks of their commentary or satire as being a detriment to her campaign.

I'm far more interested in hearing your thoughts, than seeing links that you post, or hearing you purport to speak for Hillary. What do you think?

i applaud obama winning.

i think the country has officially turned a page.

i only wished that the contest was played more on a level playing field.

had not the economy been in the crapper, and our candidate had all of his bearings, it may have been a more interesting contest.

<>

And if my Aunt had 'nads she'd be my Uncle......

Not exactly. From my paradigm, it could also be said that Obama was at a disadvantage in the beginning.

But maybe you could explain how it seems different to you and Hillary?

The playing field was tilted AGAINST Obama, this just in, he's BLACK!

The playing field was tilted AGAINST Obama, this just in, he's BLACK!

Dude, I covered that here:

The playing field started out mostly level. The only thing McCain had against him is his association with the current administration. But then you could also argue that the playing field wasn't level in Obama's favour. Obama had to overcome several things, too: his race, his experience relative to McCain's, and being an unknown entity, relative to McCain. Obama was able to overcome all this. McCain wasn't able to overcome his negatives. In fact, he added to them. Why? Because of the way both candidates conducted themselves and their campaigns. Obama did well. McCain didn't.

It really is as simple as that.

I don't know how he can look in the mirror and say he's being honest...

How can he be honest with himself if he doesn't see that poll was dripping with bias, a 4th grader could see that...

How can he be honest if he things the 57 states thing was an issue? It's obvious if you do the math how he misspoke...

How can he be honest if he doesn't recognise the irony of what's being said in this thread up against the backdrop of the Palin rally videos...

If he was honest he would be able to dissect my earlier post when asked of the bias(and I didn't even mention race)...

This person is not being honest, just suffering from Rush induced paranoia...

What is the big deal with the 57 states thing??? It's not like Obama doesn't know how many states there are. :der: Obviously he was tired or whatever and made a silly mistake. As opposed to Palin who thinks Africa is a country... Hey! The republicans said it, not us evil liberals!

What is the big deal with the 57 states thing??? It's not like Obama doesn't know how many states there are. :der: Obviously he was tired or whatever and made a silly mistake. As opposed to Palin who thinks Africa is a country... Hey! The republicans said it, not us evil liberals!

No she didn't.

No she didn't.

She didn't what? :huh: Okay maybe she doesn't think that Africa is a country and it was only those campaign officials who wanted to make her look bad. My point is why are some people making a big deal out of the 57 states thing when it was just a slip of the tongue on Obama's part? Do you people seriously believe that he didn't know any better? :lmao:

No she didn't.
You're right apparently the Africa story was made up by a blogger, which interestingly enough was first reported by Fox News...

But let's not kid ourselves Palin made enough remarks on her own that should make us question her knowledge or at the very least her quest for knowledge. The fact that Palin and Bush have been two of the most praised figures in recent conservative history should have some conservatives scratching their heads, if it doesn't then I fear for your party.

You're right apparently the Africa story was made up by a blogger, which interestingly enough was first reported by Fox News...

But let's not kid ourselves Palin made enough remarks on her own that should make us question her knowledge or at the very least her quest for knowledge. The fact that Palin and Bush have been two of the most praised figures in recent conservative history should have some conservatives scratching their heads, if it doesn't then I fear for your party.

ftw

YouTube - CNN Jack Cafferty - Palin is a JOKE

Must be the only time SNL used someone's actual words verbatim in order to do a parody.....

YouTube - CNN Laughs It Up Over Sarah Palin Interview

It's an accomplishment for Sarah Palin to know Africa is a continent.

That's all that needs to be said.

She is one of the least intelligent political figures of the last half-century.

Today even Rush used that "poll", this is how utterly desperate the right has become. This is why you think mainstream media is liberal! You want your news given to like an adult that talks to their child, you want it dumbed down and meant to make you feel warm and fuzzy. This is why the fairness doctrine scares so many of you, because this shit will no longer pass for legitimate sources...

Why do you lefties always bring up Sarah Palin????? I get it, she's not the brightest. Stop trying to deflect the issue. This thread is about politically-dumb people voting for Obama. I believe that the overall message of the poll was to show that the people questioned were largely influenced by stories in which the media perpetuated rather actual policy issues. I believe that Obama attracted many ill-informed voters to the polls. Now that's not to say that you dems in this forum are included in that group, so try not to get offended.

I believe this largely because of my mother-in-law. She knows nothing about politics and doesn't care much. When I asked her about this election and who she wanted to see win, she replied Obama with an ere of confidence in her answer. I was quite surprised by this as I've never seen her remotely interested in politics before. I started to probe a little bit further and she couldn't name one single policy issue that Obama has proposed. She said that Obama seemed genuine and looked nice and that the US needed a change from "old white boy's club". Although very smart in other areas, my mother-in-law is politically dumb. She doesn’t understand the political spectrum. She doesn’t understand or care much about the benefits of large/small government. She didn’t know or care about the social issues in the campaign. My mother-in-law would have responded to the poll in the exact same manner as the people in the video.

But why all the harsh talk? This poll simply proves that the Obama campaign and the media that supported him were able to excite voters who normally don't care.

I believe that the overall message of the poll was to show that the people questioned were largely influenced by stories in which the media perpetuated rather actual policy issues. I believe that Obama attracted many ill-informed voters to the polls. Now that's not to say that you dems in this forum are included in that group, so try not to get offended.

why did one poll show that 25% of Texans thought Obama was a muslim?

does this not cut both ways? could you not say the same thing about any candidate? does this not look incredibly ironic coming from someone who appears to have voted for George W. Bush twice?

Why do you lefties always bring up Sarah Palin????? I get it, she's not the brightest. Stop trying to deflect the issue. This thread is about politically-dumb people voting for Obama. I believe that the overall message of the poll was to show that the people questioned were largely influenced by stories in which the media perpetuated rather actual policy issues. I believe that Obama attracted many ill-informed voters to the polls. Now that's not to say that you dems in this forum are included in that group, so try not to get offended.

I believe this largely because of my mother-in-law. She knows nothing about politics and doesn't care much. When I asked her about this election and who she wanted to see win, she replied Obama with an ere of confidence in her answer. I was quite surprised by this as I've never seen her remotely interested in politics before. I started to probe a little bit further and she couldn't name one single policy issue that Obama has proposed. She said that Obama seemed genuine and looked nice and that the US needed a change from "old white boy's club". Although very smart in other areas, my mother-in-law is politically dumb. She doesn’t understand the political spectrum. She doesn’t understand or care much about the benefits of large/small government. She didn’t know or care about the social issues in the campaign. My mother-in-law would have responded to the poll in the exact same manner as the people in the video.

But why all the harsh talk? This poll simply proves that the Obama campaign and the media that supported him were able to excite voters who normally don't care.

No, the thing is, this survey is essentially meaningless, because there's nothing to compare it to. Intelligence and knowledge are always relative to something. If the survey had been done including McCain supporters, and including questions about him that were as obscure and inflammatory, then we might have been able to conclude something. As it stands, it's not worth shit.

I saw very few policy questions on this survey, and I did go to Zogby's site to look at the original. Let's face it, this survey was intended to inflame, and to promote an agenda, nothing more.

I believe this largely because of my mother-in-law. She knows nothing about politics and doesn't care much. When I asked her about this election and who she wanted to see win, she replied Obama with an ere of confidence in her answer.

So, you're basing your opinion on a flawed survey and your mother-in-law? Listen, I lean left, but I consider myself a moderate. If a survey came out today stating that a majority of Republican supporters didn't know up from down, for example, I wouldn't jump on it and say, 'see, most McCain voters are uneducated and dumb."

No, I'd want to know the methodology behind the survey. I'd want to know the questions that were asked; if buzzwords were included in the question; how they were asked; who was asked; where were they questioned, by phone or in person. Then, and only then, will I pass judgment on the validity of the survey's results.

Any poll or survey can be skewed one way or another, and I think people are too quick to jump on results so long as it suits their political beliefs. We all have to take a step back and dig deeper to get the real results.

Why do you lefties always bring up Sarah Palin????? I get it, she's not the brightest. Stop trying to deflect the issue. This thread is about politically-dumb people voting for Obama.

Palin is a light-weight, most of us can agree.

Obama ran an excellent, heavily funded campaign. In the midst of a economic meltdown (R).

But Obama earned those politically-dumb votes just as much as McCain lost them.

What is a professional statistician? Figuring batting average, earned runs allowed and slugging % for a Fantasy Baseball league?

Try insurance actuarial data generation/interpretation, experiment design fo rall types of industry, Medical Studies, etc

No, I'd want to know the methodology behind the survey. I'd want to know the questions that were asked; if buzzwords were included in the question; how they were asked; who was asked; where were they questioned, by phone or in person. Then, and only then, will I pass judgment on the validity of the survey's results.

FiveThirtyEight.com: Politics Done Right: Zogby Engages in Apparent Push Polling for Right-Wing Website

and just for fun, an interview with the guy who runs the "How Obama got elected" website
FiveThirtyEight.com: Politics Done Right: An Interview with John Ziegler on the Zogby "Push Poll"

Back
Top Bottom