Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
The Mercatus Center is primarily funded by Koch Industries, and the Koch Brothers sit on its board of directors. Just sayin'...
George Koch ran for vice-president on the Libertarian Party ticket so no surprise he might be behind a study that highlites libertarian state policies I guess.

But you'll mention, without fail, that Mother Jones, Democracy Now!, Media Matters or Think Progress is funded by George Soros when someone links to them in the future, right?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:44 AM
Now all we need to do is link this discussion to Reverend Wright and we'll have hit all the network news talking points

Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

But you'll mention, without fail, that Mother Jones, Democracy Now!, Media Matters or Think Progress is funded by George Soros when someone links to them in the future, right?
I'm sorry. . .who are these people/organizations again?

I've heard Mother Jones. . .never read it. I know who George Soros is (thanks mainly to you).

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with them at all. Which should be a surprise since you're suggesting that all the other liberals on the forum--if not me--are quoting these organizations all the time.

Do you really believe that all the left-leaning posters on this forum get all their talking points from these sources?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Do you really believe that all the left-leaning posters on this forum get all their talking points from these sources?
Not in the least. Just hinting at a wish that mods work both sides of the aisle is all.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I can't believe any of you are having a serious discussion about a study that claims to have quantified freedom and is ranking your states based on their calculations. Straight out of the Onion
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #21
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
What's the mean on that stat? We have a pretty dynamic population and I'd say all states loss a large percentage of grads. What percentage are out of state students to begin with?
There's no one national body which systematically tracks state-level graduate retention; Indiana relies on a Lilly-grant decennial study jointly carried out by IU and the Indiana Fiscal Policy Institute, with some input from the National Center for Education Statistics. As of the 2000s edition, the national average graduate retention rate was 71.5%; Illinois' rate, 81.6%; Michigan's, 79.6%; Ohio's, 74.8%; Wisconsin's, 61.6%; Kentucky's, 80.2%; ours, 53.4%. (The worst rates are in the Plains States plus New Jersey, which has long been an 'outlier' in this regard, mostly since they have by far the country's highest population density.) Purdue and IUB do have quite a few out-of-state students, enough so that both have hit the top 10 nationwide for % of out-of-state students in some years, so that certainly is a factor; however, Indiana's retention rate for in-state students is still only 61%. As for the other stat, 28% of our labor force has a college degree, compared to the national average of 39%.
Quote:
Haha, no, it's not my usual practice to cite controversial funders any time some organization's study or news piece gets linked to, but since Sean seemed to be expressing puzzlement as to the libertarian slant of the study in question, and the staidly-named Mercatus Center's affiliations are pretty obscure outside of poli sci circles, it seemed relevant in this case.
Quote:
Just hinting at a wish that mods work both sides of the aisle is all.
This isn't a paid job, you know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I can't believe any of you are having a serious discussion about a study that claims to have quantified freedom and is ranking your states based on their calculations.
Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but to be fair there are more than a few political scientists (of all stripes) who spend most of their research time devising metrics for "freedom," "strength of civil society," etc. in the service of some think tank or another.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #22
45:33

Local Time: 09:44 PM
New York is a lot bigger than I thought.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I can't believe any of you are having a serious discussion about a study that claims to have quantified freedom and is ranking your states based on their calculations. Straight out of the Onion
I don't know, I'm pretty pissed to find out that PA is 31st in Freedom Points.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I don't know, I'm pretty pissed to find out that PA is 31st in Freedom Points.
Wow, you guys must be one step away from Big Brother over there.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Welcome to New Hampshire
We Lead the League in Freedom
Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just want to know who leads the nation in people named 'George Washington'.

Because that's the only way to really be able to tell.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
There's no one national body which systematically tracks state-level graduate retention; Indiana relies on a Lilly-grant decennial study jointly carried out by IU and the Indiana Fiscal Policy Institute, with some input from the National Center for Education Statistics. As of the 2000s edition, the national average graduate retention rate was 71.5%; Illinois' rate, 81.6%; Michigan's, 79.6%; Ohio's, 74.8%; Wisconsin's, 61.6%; Kentucky's, 80.2%; ours, 53.4%. (The worst rates are in the Plains States plus New Jersey, which has long been an 'outlier' in this regard, mostly since they have by far the country's highest population density.) Purdue and IUB do have quite a few out-of-state students, enough so that both have hit the top 10 nationwide for % of out-of-state students in some years, so that certainly is a factor; however, Indiana's retention rate for in-state students is still only 61%. As for the other stat, 28% of our labor force has a college degree, compared to the national average of 39%.
Thank you for the numbers. Be fun to go "deep" within the numbers on something like this.

Quote:
Haha, no, it's not my usual practice to cite controversial funders any time some organization's study or news piece gets linked to, but since Sean seemed to be expressing puzzlement as to the libertarian slant of the study in question, and the staidly-named Mercatus Center's affiliations are pretty obscure outside of poli sci circles, it seemed relevant in this case.
Facts are facts. I'd never heard of these people before. Still an interesting study to me. The point was never that crossing the border from Nevada into California in 2011 is like crossing into East Germany from West Germany 30 years ago.

Quote:
This isn't a paid job, you know...
Opinions here are overwhelmingly from the progressive side of the political spectrum. Maybe FYM could seek out a sugar daddy, a sympathetic moneyman. Who could that be? Oh I don't know, maybe...

Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Opinions here are overwhelmingly from the progressive side of the political spectrum.
Not really surprising considering the band that got us to join this site in the first place.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #29
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:44 AM
They're probably Soros-backed too.

(ironically, I've met Ted Nugent but never a member of U2)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
They're probably Soros-backed too.

(ironically, I've met Ted Nugent but never a member of U2)
Probably paid for the Claw, eh.

How did you happen to meet Ted Nugent?