How can we take them seriously?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
The House voted to defund President Obama's health care overhaul on Friday during a sustained burst of floor activity on a temporary spending bill.

The House passed the health care measure, 239-187, as an amendment to a bill that would keep the government lights on through the end of the fiscal year but also impose deep cuts on domestic programs.

Among the other actions the House took was to reject a controversial plan to end the Pentagon's sponsorship of a NASCAR team. Another measure, banning federal aid to Planned Parenthood, was passed.

House Votes to Defund 'ObamaCare' in Burst of Activity on Spending Bill - FoxNews.com

abcnews.com

The House of Representatives Friday passed a measure to end federal funding for abortion provider Planned Parenthood a day after Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., brought the chamber to stunned silence after describing her own personal experience with abortion.

Speier took to the House floor to respond to comments made by Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J., against abortion funding.

"I had planned to speak of something else, but the gentleman from New Jersey has just put my stomach in knots because I'm one of those women he spoke about just now," said Speier. "I had a procedure at 17 weeks, pregnant with a child that had moved from the vagina into the cervix. And that procedure that you just talked about was a procedure that I endured. I lost a baby."

Her remarks came as the clock ticked toward midnight.

"But for you to stand on this floor and to suggest, as you have, that somehow this is a procedure that is either welcomed or done cavalierly or done without any thought is preposterous. To think that we are here tonight debating this issue when the American people, if they are listening, are scratching their heads and wondering what does this have to do with me getting a job? What does this have to do with reducing the deficit? And the answer is nothing at all," Speier said.

"There is a vendetta against Planned Parenthood, and it was played out in this room tonight," Speier continued. "Planned Parenthood has a right to operate. Planned Parenthood has a right to provide services for family planning. Planned Parenthood has a right to offer abortions. Last time you checked abortions were legal in this country."

Speier went on. "Now you may not like Planned Parenthood, so be it. There's many on our side of the aisle that don't like Halliburton. And Halliburton is responsible for extortion, for bribery, for 10 cases of misconduct in the federal database, for a $7 billion sole-source contract. But do you see us over here filing amendments to wipe out funding for Halliburton? No, because frankly that would be irresponsible. I would suggest to you it would serve us all very well if we moved on with this process and started focusing on creating jobs for the Americans who desperately want them."

After Speier spoke, the chamber was silent for a few moments before some lawmakers started to applaud. Eventually House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., rose to speak in favor of the amendment.

I'm sorry to say it will only get worse for the poor once the hyperinflation kicks in. There are some troubled times ahead.

Speier went on. "Now you may not like Planned Parenthood, so be it. There's many on our side of the aisle that don't like Halliburton. And Halliburton is responsible for extortion, for bribery, for 10 cases of misconduct in the federal database, for a $7 billion sole-source contract. But do you see us over here filing amendments to wipe out funding for Halliburton? No, because frankly that would be irresponsible. I would suggest to you it would serve us all very well if we moved on with this process and started focusing on creating jobs for the Americans who desperately want them."

I'm gonna give a round of :applaud: to Speier for saying that before Congress. THANK YOU.

"This afternoon's vote is a victory for taxpayers and a victory for life," Pence said in a statement.

But, y'know, those two wars overseas that are killing people (including pregnant women, children, and babies), that's okay, no big cuts to be made with those. I guarantee you my family isn't happy to have their taxes going to two wars none of us supported, but hey, if we have to suck it up and pay for that...

The only thing I'd say about the federal funding to Planned Parenthood is that I am nervous about the federal government getting involved in the abortion issue in any way. Just as we can have a government that shows support, we also can have a government that can be like, "Okay, we'll allow the funding, but since it's our money we're also going to be very restrictive about how and when it can be used, and who can use it", you know what I mean?

But that concern aside, hearing that news really does suck, yes. Ugh (and psst, Pence, people are still gonna have abortions, hate to break it to you). And yes, way to continue to NOT focus on job creation, too!

This is what continues to kill me about the whole health care thing, right here:
Rep. Denny Rehberg's amendment would starve the overhaul of any federal funds for the rest of fiscal 2011, which ends Sept. 30. The GOP has virtually no chance of killing the law because of support for the program from Obama and the Democratic-run Senate, but House Republicans have been trying relentlessly to chip away at it.

JUST STOP IT ALREADY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

On a somewhat lighter note, the NASCAR stuff was a weird effect of all this. I didn't realize so much government money went to that organization. Thoughts on that, anyone?

Angela

I had no idea..I don't think the Pentagon or any govt entity should be sponsoring NASCAR. Waste of money.

Wow-some people take NASCAR very seriously

NewsCore

Updated Feb 18, 2011 3:27 AM ET

Minnesota Democrat congresswoman Betty McCollum received a death threat over her proposal to end Pentagon funding for NASCAR, myFOXtwincities.com reported Thursday.

McCollum put forward an amendment to stop the Defense Department from sponsoring NASCAR teams, which was intended as a means of boosting recruitment.

She believes the sponsorship is a waste of taxpayers' money and should be eliminated.

A fax received by her office contained vulgar language directed at the congresswoman, telling her to "shut her .... pie hole," and featured an offensive cartoon depicting President Barack Obama.

Sometimes it's hard to take YOU seriously when you resort to these lazy name-callings...

That's all you have to say? Your guys have shown probably one of the brightest displays of hypocrisy our politicians(and that's quite a feat since I think most politicians are hypocrites in some form or fashion) have shown in years and you get on me for using an expletive?

COME ON!!!

I had no idea..I don't think the Pentagon or any govt entity should be sponsoring NASCAR. Waste of money.

Agreed on that.

That death threat is crazy. Good god, what the hell is with some people?

A fax received by her office contained vulgar language directed at the congresswoman, telling her to "shut her .... pie hole," and featured an offensive cartoon depicting President Barack Obama.

Way to be mature, buddy :up:.

Angela

Perhaps we could blame the anti-abortion bill on Lila Rose of Live Action:

Planned Parenthood defended a Virginia clinic and one of its employees Thursday against the latest attempt at an undercover video "sting" by conservative activists, telling reporters its clinic worker acted properly. The anti-abortion group Live Action has sent operatives posing as a pimp and prostitute to Planned Parenthood clinics in several states, trying to persuade clinic workers to help them discreetly obtain abortions for minors supposedly in the sex trade. Planned Parenthood said the woman in the latest clip Live Action released "reacted professionally to a highly unusual person posing as a patient."
"After the encounter, the staff member immediately notified her supervisor, who subsequently notified members of Planned Parenthood's national security team, who are working with the FBI, which is investigating these visits," the organization said.
Live Action and its founder, California anti-abortion activist Lila Rose, have accused Planned Parenthood workers of covering up the sexual abuse of minors. The reproductive health organization vehemently denies the allegation -- but it fired a clinic worker in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, earlier this week after the woman was caught on video in another of Live Action's stings.
The New Jersey worker appears to advise the fake pimp and prostitute how to avoid mandatory reporting laws for abortion and how to find another provider in case an underage girl needs an abortion. Planned Parenthood spokesman Stuart Schear called the remarks "repugnant" and "completely inconsistent with Planned Parenthood's guidelines."
In a statement issued Thursday, Rose said her group shot the latest footage in a clinic in Richmond and argues it shows the counselor "coaching a pimp about how girls as young as 14-15 could circumvent parental consent laws for secret abortions." The clinic worker depicted in the video describes Virginia's law, including a provision that authorizes a judge to waive the parental notification provision.
Planned Parenthood says it reported the visits by the undercover "pimps" and "prostitutes" to federal authorities in January, while raising the possibility that they could have been hoaxes. It says the FBI is investigating the matter.
Planned Parenthood called on Live Action to release the raw footage of the visit. Rose said Live Action has shared the full footage with Virginia authorities and has asked state Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli -- an outspoken abortion opponent -- to investigate.

Planned Parenthood defends Virginia clinic after latest 'sting' video - CNN.com

I'd like to add, too, though, you know another thing that irks me about the anti-Planned Parenthood stuff? The fact that people always make it seem like they only offer abortions. There's a reason the word "PARENTHOOD" is in the title-they also give out birth control (which, once again, helps women have less chance of getting pregnant and therefore having less chance OF having an abortion), they give out family planning information to people looking to start families, all that sort of thing.

And they also go over every single option with a woman before she has an abortion. They make sure this is something she has made the decision to do herself and isn't being forced to do by anyone else, that she understands what's going on and knows all the risks and effects and such, too.

But no. People just see "Planned Parenthood" and think it's like an abortion factory or something. Maybe some education on what they actually do would help as well.

Or maybe not. I get the feeling with some people it'll just go in one ear and out the other anyway.

Angela

That's all you have to say? Your guys have shown probably one of the brightest displays of hypocrisy our politicians(and that's quite a feat since I think most politicians are hypocrites in some form or fashion) have shown in years and you get on me for using an expletive?

COME ON!!!

Hypocrisy? They said they would defund PP, and they did. They said they would defund Obamacare, and they did.

Assuming you're talking about the NASCAR thing, I probably would have let that go as well. I've read conflicting explanations. People with the Army rightfully believe that NASCAR's fan-base can be a potential outlet for recruitment. Other branches used to do the same but have dropped the program because they can't prove one way or the other if it helps recruitment. Who knows? But let's not kid ourselves. It's a few million dollars each year. PP is much more. NPR is much more. Would I have voted against it? Probably, but this isn't enough for me to lose faith in the GOP just yet...

Hypocrisy? They said they would defund PP, and they did. They said they would defund Obamacare, and they did.

Assuming you're talking about the NASCAR thing, I probably would have let that go as well. I've read conflicting explanations. People with the Army rightfully believe that NASCAR's fan-base can be a potential outlet for recruitment. Other branches used to do the same but have dropped the program because they can't prove one way or the other if it helps recruitment. Who knows? But let's not kid ourselves. It's a few million dollars each year. PP is much more. NPR is much more. Would I have voted against it? Probably, but this isn't enough for me to lose faith in the GOP just yet...

Overbloated spending is overbloated spending, they aren't doing what they said they would do. They're selectively pick and choosing those they think THEIR voters will tolerate. This isn't about fiscal responsibility.

I want all these men and women of faith to stand before the public and God and explain how they think screwing over millions out of life is the right moral thing to do. I think each and every one of them need to reevaluate their moral compasses.

A) Give tax cuts to the rich, who don't need tax cuts

B) Point to the need to close the budget deficit that has been widened by giving tax cuts to the rich

C) Eliminate government programs that aid the middle and lower class

Upper tax bracket conservatives living out their fantasy of less taxes for them, and a smaller federal government, by punishing the lower and middle class.

Home of the brave, baby :up:

I guess that's the other thing. If I have to sacrifice some things to help the country at large, fine. I just wish the other side was willing to do the same. It's hard to agree to sacrifices when only some people are doing it (and those who are are doing so without much say in the matter).

Angela

Republicans are pro-life until that baby is born, then it's a welfare problem.

But I'm sure they'll be introducing social policies and bills aimed at helping all these single mothers raising the kids.

:up:

Provide funding for an organization that provides basic health services to many people? Nah.

NASCAR? Sure.

Message received loud and clear.

I could twist that to say that they care about recruiting citizens to go and die overseas, but not to help save citizens' lives here at home ..... but that would just be silly.

This current bunch of moronic Republicans, and I'm talking about Mitch McConnell, The Whiner of the House - Boehner, Eric Cantor, Bachman and the all the other batshit crazies. (I won't even go into Rush, Beck, Palin and Hannity):down:
If I hear "we are doing what the American people ask us to do" I swear I will shoot my tv. These people are so far away from knowing what the American people want it's amazing they can say it with a straight face. Actually, they don't even bother anymore. Cantor and Boehner always laugh and smile at their corporate cronies when they say this. Disgusting and immoral, the lot of them.
We know which American (and foreign) people told them what to do and it wasn't the voters.
(and I know I need to step away from politics for a while but I'm afraid to turn my back on these people.)

This should have been the early tipoff:

tea+bag+hat.jpg

Seriously. Besides their initial self-labeling, but the tea-bags hanging off the hats? :eyebrow:

How can we take them seriously?

In an interview on Friday on MPR's Midday program, Republican House Majority Leader Matt Dean was dismissing Gov. Mark Dayton's (DFL) budget proposal of raising MN's top income tax rate. With the tired mantra of "the top income tax earners are the ones who own businesses and create jobs," the legislator couldn't explain and dodged the question several times when asked how an S-Corp owner needs a low income tax rate to pay employees, provide benefits and hire more employees.
The guy doesn't understand how business expenses are entered on tax forms. :banghead:

These are our leaders. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom