Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
But politics doesn't seem directly connected enough to fall under the necessities category either, for the vast majority of people. It's not a chore. It kind of falls into that in between where it doesn't seem necessary like going to the grocery store, and it isn't as fun/relaxing as kicking back and watching a game.
Yep, and those are two immediate strikes against making a well-informed voting decision.

It's no wonder why radio talk show hosts seem to have amazing command over vast swaths of the U.S. voting population. When else do you have nothing better to do than listen to someone else's political opinion distilled and formulated for you like candy sweet applesauce baby food? Stuck in traffic for 45 minutes with no recourse except for the radio and a distaste for Katy Perry or Akon.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We certainly can't take this woman seriously:

Quote:
If state Sen. Jane Cunningham has her way, the under-14 crowd will no longer have to worry about those stuffy labor laws saying they can’t hold a job. Teenagers of all ages will be freed from restrictions limiting how many hours they can flip burgers. And if they want to staff the drive-through window all night long, Cunningham is for that too. To heck with those early morning classes.
To see Cunningham’s motives, check out the latest information.
The Missouri legislature can always be counted on to come up with bizarre legislation, but Senate Bill 222 is the strangest we’ve see in awhile.
Cunningham, a Republican from St. Louis County, would also repeal the requirement that 14- and-15-year-olds apply for a special permit in order to work. And the state Division of Labor Standards would no longer inspect workplaces tht employ children or require them to keep special records for their youthful employees.
Cunningham is totally pro-business, but this is over the top. Under her proposed legislation, a 12- or-13-year-old could be sent to work full time in Missouri, perhaps under the guise of receiving a home-school education, of which Cunningham is a big supporter.
This bill sounds too Dickensian to go anywhere, but you never know. One ominous sign: Cunningham’s bill is assigned to the Senate’s general laws committee, which is chaired by…Senator Jane Cunningham.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:26 AM
There seems to be a movement within some conservative circles that no longer values higher education so this sorta makes sense.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:26 AM
welcome to the 19th century.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
It's no wonder why radio talk show hosts seem to have amazing command over vast swaths of the U.S. voting population. When else do you have nothing better to do than listen to someone else's political opinion distilled and formulated for you like candy sweet applesauce baby food? Stuck in traffic for 45 minutes with no recourse except for the radio and a distaste for Katy Perry or Akon.
I'd sooner listen to the music myself, no matter how crappy. Or I'd just sit in silence. Truly, sometimes that is golden. I've heard bits of Rush when on a town bus before, forget his commentary, his voice alone is enough to make me want to turn it off after five seconds.

As for this Cunningham person...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...WHAT?

Quote:
And if they want to staff the drive-through window all night long, Cunningham is for that too. To heck with those early morning classes.
Forget the fact they have class the next day (though that in and of itself is certainly cause for concern), the idea of a 14 year old at a drive-thru at 3 in the morning is just screaming tragic story for the next day's front page news. No way in hell would I feel comfortable with any child being at a workplace at that time of night. I'm an adult and I don't like the idea.

Her reasoning is freakin' warped:
Quote:
The current restrictions, Cunningham says, imply “that government can make a better decision than a parent.”
Or it could just be, y'know, a logical safety measure. I wouldn't exactly trust any parent who was okay with letting their 13, 14 year old child work late at night, either.

Quote:
Also, Cunningham, who is no fan of public schools, dislikes the provision in state law that says students younger than 16 must obtain signed permission from their school before taking a job.
O-kay, then.

Seriously. What. Is. WRONG. With. People?

Angela
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
welcome to the 19th century.
Hey asshole, how's about you come and slum it with us commoners in the Lemonade Stand?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

wink

Canadiens113148912741284, will you marry me?

(so i can become a canadian citizen)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Hey asshole, how's about you come and slum it with us commoners in the Lemonade Stand?