Houston, TEXAS has elected openly gay mayor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
she has civil rights denied to her, unlike Sarah Palin. :shrug:

A point that is obviously under much contention in a different thread.

as ever, it was INDY who brought up Our Poor Sarah's evil mistreatment by a press that isn't properly deferential.

There's a difference between deference (which I think would be misplaced in her case) and salacious, woefully inappropriate (and, as it turns out, inaccurate) implications about her special-needs son.

But but but f_guy said a comedian called her daughter a hooker!

Letterman should have known better than to go after someone as apparently hungry for media attention as Ms. Palin, who seems to think that the only bad publicity is no publicity. (I did like her stint on Conan last week though.)

I do however remember the Clintons asking for a similar media blackout on Chelsea until she was 21. For the most part, I think the media honored that. The Clintons had no problem bringing her around the globe with them, and I don't remember the same attitude of "they're using her for political purposes, therefore she's fair game." I'm not crying double standard; I'm actually curious if the media landscape of 2009 affords the same level of privacy it did in the nineties, or if it should. It could be an interesting discussion, albeit for another thread.

If you don't remember Chelsea being made fun of, then you're losing your memory.

And one thing some of you keep forgetting:

Comedian does not = MEDIA

Wall Street Journal
Nov

Ms. Palin was particularly angry at bloggers and the media, associates said, for speculation that her baby Trig was really the child of Bristol, her daughter.

At one point, according to people familiar with the discussions, Ms. Palin considered pursuing a libel suit against at least one blogger, the Atlantic's Andrew Sullivan. Ms. Palin decided against such a move because of the publicity it would bring.

Poor Andrew actually became obsessed with the story and lost any credibility he once had with the Right.

A point that is obviously under much contention in a different thread.

culturally, yes. intellectually, there's no honest argument to be made. as we've demonstrated in a different thread.

There's a difference between deference (which I think would be misplaced in her case) and salacious, woefully inappropriate (and, as it turns out, inaccurate) implications about her special-needs son.

what are those implications? and who has made them other than 2-3 bloggers? could you name me the major politician, or even pundit, who has said anything negative about Trigg -- beyond Sarah's clear use of him to sell books.

and yet, the Right keeps up and up and up the birth certificate issue.

Who exactly on the Right?
The story only got legs because the president, then candidate, refused to release his birth certificate. In fact he still hasn't, probably so a few crazies will keep going on about it and his supporters can then do just what you did and label the entire Right as crazy.

Who exactly on the Right?
The story only got legs because the president, then candidate, refused to release his birth certificate. In fact he still hasn't, probably so a few crazies will keep going on about it and his supporters can then do just what you did and label the entire Right as crazy.

the mainstream, non-racist, pro-American Tea Baggers.

and Sarah Palin.

Ahhhh, didn't see anybody on the Right or from the GOP that, you know, anyone has heard of.

But when did John Stewart become the be-all-and-end-all of fact-checking?
I ask because you're the second person to throw him up at me. Fine, always good for a chuckle but an irrefutable, unbiased source?... hardly.

BVS
moon.gif

Ahhhh, didn't see anybody on the Right or from the GOP that, you know, anyone has heard of.

But when did John Stewart become the be-all-and-end-all of fact-checking?
I ask because you're the second person to throw him up at me. Fine, always good for a chuckle but an irrefutable, unbiased source?... hardly.

I posted it for the comedy. There have been many instances already that have proven Obama an American citizen, which is why it's baffling to many that it's still an issue (not to mention to those baffled by it being an issue in the first place).

But more importantly, just because a bunch of idiots claim something stupid like that (and that's all it ever was) doesn't mean Obama should respond. If he had to prove wrong every ridiculous accusation made his way, he'd never get anything done. He should stick to addressing things that actually matter, and I think that's something everyone on both sides of the aisle and in between can agree on.

Back
Top Bottom