House Of Evil / Seed Of Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yes pray about it and don't back down, even if it means the lives of the men and women who are risking their lives while you spew your hateful rhetoric. I'm sure God approves.

Church 'praying' about plan to burn Quran - World news - South and Central Asia - Afghanistan - msnbc.com

MIAMI — A church planning to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11 is 'definitely praying' about the controversial demonstration, its pastor said after Gen. David Petraeus warned it would put in danger the lives of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.

In an interview on CNN, Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Church in Gainesville, Fla., appeared to suggest church members might decide not to go ahead with the controversial demonstration.

Jones, author of a book called "Islam is of The Devil," told CNN's "American Morning" show that the burning was designed to send a message to radical Islam.

But when he was asked about the views of Petraeus, the U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, Jones said: "We are actually very, very concerned of course; we are taking the general's words serious. We are continuing to pray about the action on September 11. But we don't know, how long do we back down?"

On Monday, Petraeus said the Quran-burning event would be exploited by the Taliban.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," he said. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world, we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Lt. Gen. William Caldwell, commander of the NATO Training Mission in Afghanistan, told CNN the news of event was already provoking popular anger in Afghanistan.

"It's their Holy Book, so when somebody says that they're going to destroy that and cause a desecration to something that's very sacred to them, it's already stirred up a lot of discussion and concern amongst the people," he said.

"We very much feel that this could jeopardize the safety of our men and women that are serving over here," Caldwell added.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told reporters in Washington Tuesday that he “strongly condemned” the church’s plan.

“I think such actions are in a strong contradiction with all of the values we stand for and fight for,” he said.

"Of course, there is a risk it may also have a negative impact on the security for our troops,” Rasmussen added.

'Death to America'
In Kabul, several hundred demonstrators, mostly students from religious schools who gathered outside Kabul's Milad ul-Nabi mosque on Monday, rallied to protest against the church's plan.

"We call on America to stop desecrating our Holy Quran," student Wahidullah Nori told Reuters. Some in the crowd chanted "Death to America."

I was reminded of these words this morning.

I'm just suggesting a little sensitivity goes a long way. Is that crazy?

I was listening to the guy that was filling in for Glenn Beck this morning and he was defending Terry "of the devil" Jones.

He wasn't defending his right to do so, for we all understand that, but he was defending Terry's wanting to burn the Quran, two very different things.

It's just another example of the hypocrisy of some.

Now I'm not saying that you Nathan stand in this group of hypocrites, it was just your words that popped into my head this morning as I was listening.

"We call on America to stop desecrating our Holy Quran," student Wahidullah Nori told Reuters. Some in the crowd chanted "Death to America."

What's sad is that most Americans don't want this "Burn a Quran" day to take place. Its only a small minority. But because of this tiny group of people, I believe America is going to suffer for their actions. I wouldn't be surprised if terrorism happens because this church has infuriated the radicals.

Yes pray about it and don't back down, even if it means the lives of the men and women who are risking their lives while you spew your hateful rhetoric. I'm sure God approves.

Oh, of course. What would Jesus do, and all that?

Sooooooo, let's get this straight: We'll freak out over a non-political Islamic center being built two blocks from Ground Zero because it shows potential insensitivity to the victims and families affected by 9/11. even though so far, to my knowledge, it has no hateful intentions behind its construction. Protests galore and outrage and politicians making election hay out of this and the whole shebang. But this little Qu'ran burning and hate rally against Islam ON 9/11 itself? Oh, yeah, that's totally fine. No insensitivity there. No worthwhile outrage needed here.

Of course, these people have the right to do this burning if they so wish-free speech and such, no matter how insanely stupid I think the idea is ('cause you just know if those same "Christians" saw Muslims burning a Bible, they'd go completely apeshit). But I think it'd be wise to heed the general's words, because even if these creeps don't give a flying banana peel about how offensive it'll be to the Muslim community, this act will make Muslims even less friendly towards our troops and it'll end in a really bad way for them. But hey, if these book burners can sleep at night with that horrific scenario on their consciences, well...*Shrugs*.

:rolleyes: Sheesh. And we still, 9 years later, cannot possibly figure out why the hell Muslims keep burning American flags and expressing anger towards the U.S.

Angela

This guy could easily burn pictures of BinLaden and al-Qaeda flags, etc.

al-Qaedaflag.png

Military Religious Freedom Foundation | The Constitutional Conscience of the United States Military

The nonprofit MRFF is raising money to buy a Qur'an to replace each one that is burned at the Dove World Outreach Center this weekend. The Qur'an books will be donated to the Afghan National Army as a gesture of goodwill to counter this ridiculous protest.

I certainly believe they have a right to burn whatever they want, just as I believe that the Islamic community center can be built near the World Trade Center site. I just hope the worldwide media will show that the U.S. is a diverse and mostly tolerant place. It probably won't though. :shrug:

"Where books are burned in the end people will be burned, too." (Heinrich Heine, 1797-1856)

Very true ^^^.

Military Religious Freedom Foundation | The Constitutional Conscience of the United States Military

The nonprofit MRFF is raising money to buy a Qur'an to replace each one that is burned at the Dove World Outreach Center this weekend. The Qur'an books will be donated to the Afghan National Army as a gesture of goodwill to counter this ridiculous protest.

That's an excellent idea. Way to go, guys :up: :). Ah, maturity and decency, it's good to see you again.

I certainly believe they have a right to burn whatever they want, just as I believe that the Islamic community center can be built near the World Trade Center site. I just hope the worldwide media will show that the U.S. is a diverse and mostly tolerant place. It probably won't though. :shrug:

Sadly, not likely, no. Note to angry protesters in the States: You're not helping our image.

But I too do hope that not everyone out there judges us by the actions of a few crazy people. I don't want the U.S. to be made fun of and hated. It's embarrassing.

Angela

Another thing that is so wrong about the Quran burning is that it ruins remembering 9/11. Instead of remembering that day, you're worried for the future of the country and its troops, feeling embarrassed to be an American, etc.

The news story I saw showed him and some of the other people in his church -and they were carrying weapons during their services. So my hunch is that their church is more like a self described church a la Westboro Baptist. They only had 30 people at their service when Terry Moran was there-so it's definitely a small group. I think he's enjoying the attention :|

msnbc.com news services
updated less than 1 minute ago

President Barack Obama said in an interview Thursday that the Quran-burning plan by a Florida pastor was "destructive" a "recruitment bonanza for al-Qaida."

Speaking on ABC's "Good Morning America" in an interview broadcast Thursday, Obama warned that Rev. Terry Jones' plan would endanger U.S. troops and could lead to serious violence in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The president called it a "stunt" and exhorted Jones to "listen to those better angels" and call off the protest this weekend.

"If he's listening, I hope he understands that what he's proposing to do is completely contrary to our values as Americans," Obama said. "That this country has been built on the notion of freedom and religious tolerance."

The president also said Jones' plan, if carried out, could serve as an incentive for terrorist-minded individuals "to blow themselves up" to kill others.

"And as a very practical matter, as commander in chief of the Armed Forces of the United States, I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women in uniform," the president said.

Sarah Palin is speaking out against a plan put forth by a Florida-based church to burn Qurans on the ninth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

The former Alaska governor outlined her position on the contentious issue in a message posted to her Facebook page Wednesday evening.

"Book burning is antithetical to American ideals," she wrote. "People have a constitutional right to burn a Koran if they want to, but doing so is insensitive and an unnecessary provocation -- much like building a mosque at Ground Zero."

Even in the wake of criticism, Pastor Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach Center -- who is organizing the demonstration -- signaled that he has no intention of backing down on his controversial plan earlier this week.

Palin directly addressed Jones in the statement she issued on the matter:

I would hope that Pastor Terry Jones and his supporters will consider the ramifications of their planned book-burning event. It will feed the fire of caustic rhetoric and appear as nothing more than mean-spirited religious intolerance. Don't feed that fire. If your ultimate point is to prove that the Christian teachings of mercy, justice, freedom, and equality provide the foundation on which our country stands, then your tactic to prove this point is totally counter-productive.

In an unusual twist, Palin's stance aligns with that of many prominent figures in the Obama administration -- from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to Senior White House Advisor David Axelrod and Attorney General Eric Holder.

Hannity interviewed Terry "of the devil" Jones yesterday, and it was probably the only time I ever heard Hannity sound like a decent guy. Too bad it took a raging attention whore asshole to do that...

Not only is it wrong to burn the Koran, it is an act of hatred. Terry Jones does not represent the Christian Faith. He is a fringe, cult leader of fifty members. No mainstream Christian church, regardless of denomination wants anything to do with this and all have denounced it.

As a Christian who believes that all good people go to heaven. Regardless of faith. This planned evil crime, is very offensive to me.

Perhaps, on 9/11. Mr. Jones should re-read the Koran with an open mind and loving heart. That is what I plan to do. I am already reading the book of Maryam/Mary.

The former Alaska governor outlined her position on the contentious issue in a message posted to her Facebook page Wednesday evening.

"Book burning is antithetical to American ideals," she wrote.

Wow, could it be that Sarah Palin is putting aside her rampant political opportunism to just make a rational, non-political point for once?

"People have a constitutional right to burn a Koran if they want to, but doing so is insensitive and an unnecessary provocation -- much like building a mosque at Ground Zero."

:rolleyes: Guess not.

By Niels Sorrells
Religion News Service

Berlin (RNS) A German congregation founded by the Florida preacher who has sparked global controversy with plans to burn Qurans on 9/11 says it has had nothing to do with the preacher since 2008, denouncing him as "violent and fanatical."

The Rev. Terry Jones has drawn international criticism with his plans to burn Qurans during services at his Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville on the ninth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

In the 1980s, Jones formed the Christian Community of Cologne, a charismatic Christian church in a heavily Catholic part of Germany that, at one point, claimed 800 members, reported dpa, the German Press Agency.

However, Jones was ousted from the church in 2008 over financial irregularities and personality clashes, according to the report. The church now has between 60 and 80 members.

"We are distancing ourselves from these actions and don't want to be connected to them," Stephan Baar, a church official, told dpa.

Other members also made it clear that they no longer wish to have contact with Jones.

"Thank God we no longer have anything to do with him," said Diana Breuel, who has been active with the church for six years.

Dpa cited church members who said Jones tried to run the Cologne church like a sect leader and applied psychological pressure on its members, subordinating all activities to his will.

"He wasn't the kind of pastor who did everything and took care of everyone," said Breuel.

Baar added: "He didn't project the biblical values and Christianity, but always made himself the center of everything."

In 2002, Jones was fined 3,000 euros by a German court for using the title of "doctor" under false pretenses. Members also said he was at the center of some financial irregularities. Since his departure in 2008, the congregation has had no contact to Jones.

Saying Jones was capable of "fanaticism," Baar said he doubts international pressure will get Jones to deviate from his Quran-burning plans. "Terry Jones is the kind of person who sees things through, if he thinks it's a task given him by God," Baar said.

Now I'm not saying that you Nathan stand in this group of hypocrites, it was just your words that popped into my head this morning as I was listening.

I'm not sure that sensitivity to the events of 9/11 should be equated with burning a holy book in a public square. It's always been my belief that you can be sensitive to and respectful of the feelings of others without agreeing with them.

This cult leader with a flock of 50 who is desperate for media attention has decided to make a religious war, and in so doing has declared himself to be intolerant to the feelings of Muslims everywhere.

As a result, in the same way he has judged, so too he will be.

It's always been my belief that you can be sensitive to and respectful of the feelings of others without agreeing with them.

This part I agree with...

I'm not sure that sensitivity to the events of 9/11 should be equated with burning a holy book in a public square.

This part I'm not so sure. Sensitivity is sensitivity, we all know the significance of burning a book, especially a holy book. It doesn't really matter now at this point how many his congregation is, he's in the spotlight.

:reject:

I didn't read that part. I read the headline and got over excited.

Where is the surprise that some insane people burning their own property may cause other insane people to react violently.

Where is the surprise that some insane people burning their own property may cause other insane people to react violently.

Most amusing thing about the article: "This is not the time to do it."

Do tell us, Pastor, when would be the time to burn the Koran?

Back
Top Bottom