House Of Evil / Seed Of Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And as Irvine pointed out, all of this carries a political weight that may overwhelm everything else.

which is the only reason why it's an issue.

as you pointed out -- FYM knew about this months ago.

but, suddenly, Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich are all over it. what they want is an issue driven by pure emotion in order to help their electoral chances in the fall. the GOP has been exploiting this tragedy since September 12, 2001, what with their phony "terror alerts/Code Orange" and holding the RNC convention in New York in 2004.

as has been pointed out, perhaps Newt Gingrich thinks we should be taking our cues on tolerance from Saudi Arabia, but this is exactly the kind of thing that, yes, does make our system of governance better than theirs. and that's what they were attacking, among other things. tolerance, pluralism, diversity -- these are the things that drive fundamentalists of all stripes into murderous rage.

These standards were set up before hand, not after the fact. We have zoning restrictions, i.e. heights, styles, uses, etc...

Plenty of zoning standards apply retroactively -- why those Nativity scenes on city grounds have been coming down, why the state of California took down crosses, why the ACLU is trying to remove a cross that is on private land in the CA desert because it is "offensive" to people driving by on the freeway. There has also been an attempt to have the Forest Lawn cross -- visible from the 101 South -- removed even though it too is on private lands.

Shrug.

which is the only reason why it's an issue.

as you pointed out -- FYM knew about this months ago.

but, suddenly, Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich are all over it.

I would humbly add that the President's comments were probably less than helpful in this regard in terms of fanning the flames and elevating the conversation to a federal/national level.

I would humbly add that the President's comments were probably less than helpful in this regard in terms of fanning the flames and elevating the conversation to a federal/national level.

true, but he did explain it perfectly. it might not be the wisest place to put a cultural center, but it is absolutely legal to do so and there is no law that restricts anyone's right to do so. (even as you're straining to find something)

Really? You don't think the fact that Muslim is attached to it in anyway would be enough?

Has the mosque four blocks from Ground Zero seen outbreaks of violence and racial hatred?

Ground Zero is Ground Zero. It's a place of national significance. I can understand why people care.

Plenty of zoning standards apply retroactively -- why those Nativity scenes on city grounds have been coming down, why the state of California took down crosses, why the ACLU is trying to remove a cross that is on private land in the CA desert because it is "offensive" to people driving by on the freeway. There has also been an attempt to have the Forest Lawn cross -- visible from the 101 South -- removed even though it too is on private lands.

Shrug.

Nativity scenes are not up all year round, so they're not retroactive.

I do not support removing of crosses from private property and I doubt they are using zoning as the reason.

The rest you admit are "attempts" so how can they be examples of zoning standards being applied retroactively.

This argument is getting ridiculous. Do you really think someone is going to add "can't build anything with the Muslim religion attached to it within a 5 mile radius of Ground Zero" to any of their zoning laws?

Has the mosque four blocks from Ground Zero seen outbreaks of violence and racial hatred?

Ground Zero is Ground Zero. It's a place of national significance. I can understand why people care.

You missed my point in the first sentence, but then reinforced it with the next three.

Thank you.

This argument is getting ridiculous. Do you really think someone is going to add "can't build anything with the Muslim religion attached to it within a 5 mile radius of Ground Zero" to any of their zoning laws?

No, and it would be unconstitutional to do so, and I would disagree with that.

I'm just suggesting a little sensitivity goes a long way. Is that crazy?

I think because he was speaking at a function for Muslim people( I think it might have been for Ramadan) that somehow he felt the need to comment on it. Best move politically would have been to say nothing-on the other hand no matter what he said I think some people would have found fault and used it for political purposes. Even if he said no mosque there, absolutely not..somehow some way someone could have done that.

I think his comment about the wisdom was the biggest problem, for me it was. Because it was like backtracking after hearing the political fallout. If you weren't commenting on the wisdom of it then why not say that initially. I think the truth must be that he didn't feel comfortable saying that at the Muslim function. Either that or the whole wisdom thing was concocted for political purposes. I don't know, I'm not inside his head or privy to his private communications. All I can go on is the perception created. And I think perception is the problem, because it's subjective.

No, and it would be unconstitutional to do so, and I would disagree with that.

I'm just suggesting a little sensitivity goes a long way. Is that crazy?

Then why did you even go into all the zoning talk?

What sensitivity?

If you were Mormon and people were making a stink in Elderado, TX (where a fringe cult were taking on young girls to be their wives) and they didn't want you to build your church there, would you quietly just leave out of "sensitivity"? I mean you knew it had nothing to do with your religion but because they were ignorant you had to be sensitive to their ignorance?

I'm sick and tired of a certain portion of this country celebrating ignorance!!! It needs to stop. Ignorance is something to be ashamed of, not celebrated.

Like this...

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama's comments on a plan to build a mosque in the shadow of ground zero are not only giving opponents an opportunity to attack him but also reveal a messaging problem from the White House, a communications expert said.

"The danger here is an incoherent presidency," said David Morey, vice chairman of the Core Strategy Group, who provided communications advice to Obama's 2008 campaign. "Simpler is better, and rising above these issues and leading by controlling the dialogue is what the presidency is all about. So I think that's the job they have to do more effectively as they have in the past [in the campaign]."

Obama has faced a torrent of criticism for what was called mixed messages on the controversial plan. On Friday, Obama said Muslims "have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country ... That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in Lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances."

The following day, Obama told Ed Henry, CNN's senior White House correspondent, that he was "not commenting on the wisdom" of the project, just the broader principle that the government should treat "everyone equal, regardless" of religion. Then a White House spokesman clarified those comments.

"There is no question they are having messaging problems at the White House," Morey said. "They've lost control of the dialogue, and they've gotten pulled down by the extremes on the left and right. They've just not had a coherent set of themes."

New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd wrote in a recent column that Obama's clarity and successful messaging during the campaign are gone. In place is a "incoherent president," who's "with the banks, he's against the banks. He's leaving Afghanistan, he's staying in Afghanistan. He strains at being a populist, but his head is in the clouds."

But Obama has the ability to sharpen his messaging skills by being less of a law professor and more of a communicator in chief, Morey said.

"Communicating as a law professor does not work as president. It's not worked," he said. "You're drawing fine distinctions and speaking in long enough paragraphs that they can be misconstrued and taken out of context and frankly, handed to your opposition to exploit. And that's clearly what's going on here [with the Islamic center/mosque comments]."

While many poked fun at former President George W. Bush for mispronouncing words and stumbling through sentences, observers note that he rarely had to backtrack on his answers because he employed a simple and direct messaging approach.

But it's not just Obama who is seemingly off-message. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs' recent criticism of the "professional left" in a newspaper article highlighted, some noted, a growing rift between the administration and the Democratic Party base.

The candid remarks show a frustration coming from not only the White House's top spokesman, but the president himself, said Julie Mason, White House correspondent for The Washington Examiner newspaper.

"It was rare for Robert [Gibbs] to go on the record about this, but part of the reason why this electrified the White House press corps so much is because Robert and Obama are so close, that when Robert does speak out of school, it's like you're getting the unvarnished opinion of the president," she said Sunday on CNN's "Reliable Sources." "So that's why we were all geeked up about it last week."

Gibbs' criticism of the left wing and Obama's recent comments on the mosque may have the potential for harming Democrats as the midterm election approaches.

"Whenever you have an explosive issue like this come to the forefront, it really spreads out wide and far," said Mark Preston, CNN senior political editor. "House Democrats are very frustrated by this. ... They are saying to themselves, 'Why did the president bring this up? All that he is doing to us right now is forcing us to have to weigh in on this very thorny issue.' "

Nearly 70 percent of Americans oppose the mosque plan, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released last week. In terms of party affiliation, 54 percent of Democrats, 82 percent of Republicans and 70 percent of independents oppose the plan.

Preston said that at a time when Democrats are trying to localize the midterm election by talking about the things they've done back home, Republicans are trying to nationalize the recent religious debate.

"They are trying to bring the president into the debate. ... It only helps Republicans to continue to talk about this issue," he said.

No issue with this because it's non-denominational?

abcnews.com

Mosque Controversy Skips Pentagon: Muslims Gather in Daily Prayer at 9/11 Crash Site

By LUIS MARTINEZ

Aug. 17, 2010

Amid flaring political debate about a proposed New York City mosque near Ground Zero, there has been little commotion about the Pentagon's chapel where Muslims can gather in daily prayer near where a hijacked jetliner struck the building Sept. 11, 2001.

Sometimes misidentified as the "Pentagon Mosque," the non-denominational Pentagon Memorial Chapel maintained by the Pentagon Chaplain's Office is where department employees who practice Islam can meet to pray.

Located at the site where the hijacked American Airlines flight 74 struck the Defense Department headquarters, the chapel honors the memory of the 184 victims of the 9/11 attack.

The 100-seat chapel is available to Pentagon employees of all faiths to come in prayer as they wish throughout the day. The Pentagon Chaplain's Office schedules weekly religious services in the chapel for Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Protestants and Episcopalians, as well as a daily Catholic Mass. Muslim worshipers can gather daily to offer prayers and can attend a Friday Prayer Service led by an Imam.

Army spokesman George Wright said he is unaware of any complaints about the Muslim services from either 9/11 families or anyone in the building. The Army serves as the executive agent for the Pentagon Chaplain's Office.

The Pentagon Chaplain's Office schedules the religious services because "the armed forces are dedicated to looking after all the needs of our servicemen and women, including their spiritual needs," Wright said.

The office is "very open and very accommodating to the religious needs of the employees here in the building," he added.

The Muslim services at the Pentagon chapel have led some politicians to label it, incorrectly, as a mosque.

Appearing on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., defended the right of the Islamic group seeking to build near Ground Zero by saying, "there is a mosque in the Pentagon, which is also hallowed ground. No one objects to that."

Nadler represents the congressional district where Ground Zero is located.

Dedicated in November 2002, after the reconstruction of the section of the building struck in the Sept. 11 attack, the Pentagon chapel honors the memory of the 184 victims who were killed there or were passengers aboard the hijacked jetliner.

Behind the chapel's altar is a lit stained-glass window, in the shape of the Pentagon, that bears the inscription, "United in Memory, September 11, 2001."

No religious icons or pictures are on display at the chapel. Religious symbols are brought in for religious services. A Torah, for example, housed in an ornate ark, is brought from behind curtains for use in the weekly Jewish service.

Because of the chapel's location at the impact point where the Pentagon was struck, there are various reminders nearby honoring the victims of 9/11.

Outside the chapel's double door is a small display honoring victims of the 9/11 attack.

Along the building's exterior below one of the chapel's stained glass windows is a dark charred block of limestone set against the lighter colored limestone used in the reconstruction of the façade. Inscribed "September 11, 2001," it is a reminder of the extensive fiery damage the building sustained in the attack.

Just beyond the chapel's stained glass windows lies the two-acre Pentagon 9/11 Memorial that individually honors each of the 184 victims of the attack on the Pentagon.

The more appropriate question is-why can't Muslims be satisfied to walk 2 extra blocks to a functioning Mosque as they've been doing already?

Adding another would appear to only be over kill, no pun.

<>

This comment reveals an underlying issue in this debate. I think for many people there is a negative assumption about the attitude and motivations of the Muslims behind the proposed center. "They're doing this to rub it in our faces", "they're being spiteful" and a lot of that comes from a perception that Islam is inherently an angry, intolerant faith.
When you view the Muslims planning this center and Islam in general this way, the objections make a lot more sense.

I thought about it, and no -you're incorrect Sean.
I will pardon your attempted swipe at my Faith, w/o you even asking.

I know for a fact that if anything the LDS Church wouldn't even suggest building a structure there, Temple or meeting house- they would be apt to build a memorial or monument in memory of the victims, and have done so when fringe elements affiliated w the Faith have killed innocents.

Mountain Meadow Massacre Memorial

<>

There was no intended swipe. I was simply pointing out the commonality of another faith that is often misunderstood by non-members. Islam, LDS, Jehovah's Witness are all often unfairly maligned. But maybe you find it offensive for your faith to be lumped in with them? If so, I apologize--for me there is nothing offensive about such an association.

This really doesn't have to be an issue about freedom of religion, or a referendum on the Constitution.

I'm of two minds on the subject. On the one hand, I don't like the idea of the government telling religions where they can build or not build. It's a slippery slope that will only raise more problems than it solves. On the other hand, there is some legal precedent for depriving private property owners of building where they want because of the common good. You can't build a bar next to a school, for example, or a strip club near a church.

I'm also kind of amazed that Interference was talking about this at the end of May, but it's only become a political topic now. Nice one.

I think Nathan and Obama feel pretty much the same about this issue. (Or more likely the "wisdom" comment was a political ploy, a failed attempt at a sop to the right, but at any rate they both ended up saying essentially the same thing). Unfortunately this country gets all bent out of shape when the president has two minds on a subject.

Unfortunately this country gets all bent out of shape when the president has two minds on a subject.

i know, right? compound sentences = "incoherent" presidency.

and, Republicans, ask yourselves the following: why have none of your major policy goals (smaller government, making abortion illegal, simpler tax code, etc.) been achieved since 1980? since 1980 you've had either the presidency or majorities in the Congress (excluding 1992-1994, and 2006-2010). and yet it's the right wing that feels as if the country is coming apart at the seams.

could it be that you're so easily distracted whenever anyone raises these hot-button cultural issues, whether it's Willie Horton, Swift Boats, same-sex marriage, the evergreen abortion, "welfare queens," and now the "mosque" at Ground Zero? why are you so easily led by your entertainers? (Rush, Beck, Hannity)? why is coverage of insignificant emotional controversies so compelling for you?

Right?

The Tea Party supposedly was formed because they were sick of bloated, ineffective government. And yet they jump behind causes like this instead of, you know, actually getting things done.

My feeling towards this is that it is completly legal for them to build a mosque. But even though those trying to build it have good intentions, it's still insensitive. A catholic convent moved their site away from Auchswitz, I don't see why they can't do the same. It's not that everyone who goes to a mosque enjoyed watching the world trade center come down. But those who did bring the towers down do (well, did) attend a mosque, and used their extremely distored views of Islam as their justification. If they really want to build it there then they can, but I and many others won't approve. And it's simply not going to help their image. I've read about the Imam leading this project, and despite the fact that he wants the mosque built there I really like this guy, and I am interested in reading his book. I wish people, non-muslims and muslims alike could hear what he has to say. But they're probably not if he just becomes written off as "the-guy-who-built-the-mosque next-to-ground-zero." :shrug:

i know, right? compound sentences = "incoherent" presidency.

Just talking about the specific cultural center (it's supposed to be that and not a mosque)-how can it be a compound sentence when he said those two things on two separate occasions?

I think if you have two minds on a subject when you're a politician you're going to be called a flip flopper, incoherent, blowing with the political winds-whatever you want to call it.

'Ground Zero Mosque' Imam Helped FBI With Counterterrorism Efforts

"Not that the imam has been without controversy. The most famous quote circulated by critics came when he talked to the Australian press in March 2004.

"The Islamic method of waging war is not to kill innocent civilians," he said. "But it was Christians in World War II who bombed innocent civilians in Dresden and dropped the nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, neither of which were military targets."

Then there is the interview he gave to CBS's "60 Minutes" shortly after the 9/11 attacks occurred. "I wouldn't say that the United States deserved what happened," he said by way of explaining the attacks. "But the United States' policies were an accessory to the crime that happened."

More often than not, he's pushed his audience to grapple with uncomfortable analogies in his efforts to contextualize Islamic radicalism, such as when he argued that the Ku Klux Klan was, likewise, drawn from a form of extreme religiosity.

Those statements, in the end, were not enough to convince the Bush administration that he was a militant. Feisal Abdul Rauf was dispatched on speaking tours by the past State Department on multiple occasions to help promote tolerance and religious diversity in the Arab and Muslim world. In 2007, he went to Morocco, the UAE, Qatar and Egypt on such missions, a State Department official confirmed to the Huffington Post.

In February 2006, meanwhile, he took part in a U.S.-Islamic World Forum in Doha, Qatar with Undersecretary of State Karen Hughes, a close adviser to President Bush. Months later, Feisal Abdul Rauf wrote favorably about his meeting with Hughes, noting that he wanted to further the discussion with other members of the administration."

A catholic convent moved their site away from Auchswitz, I don't see why they can't do the same.

Auschwitz is in the middle of a field in rural Poland; this is lower Manhattan. there are already several mosques in lower Manhattan.

If they really want to build it there then they can, but I and many others won't approve.

how far away would be far enough away for you? be specific. Canal Street? Union Square? Central Park South?

And I with Pearl.

Diemen, did you see my response to your questions? I said while I think a mosque should go up due to the fact there were Muslims who were killed on 9/11, I still feel uneasy. That is because of who might be funding the mosque - fanatical Saudis, who have been building mosques all over the world.

Is that what you are referring to?

i worry whenever anyone puts up a Catholic Church because i fear that it might be used to rape children. we shouldn't put Catholic Churches anywhere near a school, after what happened. it's too painful for the people who were raped.

does that seem reasonable?

i worry whenever anyone puts up a Catholic Church because i fear that it might be used to rape children. we shouldn't put Catholic Churches anywhere near a school, after what happened. it's too painful for the people who were raped.

does that seem reasonable?

Are you talking to me?

Because if you are, I don't think you read my post.

I don't think he did. Because he would've noticed this:

I think a mosque should go up due to the fact there were Muslims who were killed on 9/11, I still feel uneasy. That is because of who might be funding the mosque - fanatical Saudis, who have been building mosques all over the world.

I don't see how comparing what I said to building Catholic Churches near schools make any sense.

I don't think he did. Because he would've noticed this:

I don't see how comparing what I said to building Catholic Churches near schools make any sense.

So what is the difference about feeling "uneasy" about what you're referring to and feeling "uneasy" about building a Catholic Church near an elementary school given the sexual abuse scandals?

Because it is well known that Saudi Arabia is building mosques all over the world, and these mosques follow Wahhabism - the intolerant, pro-terrorism form of Islam. I just wonder if Saudi Arabia is behind this mosque, would it be preaching intolerance and terrorism not too far away from where those very actions took place?

Because it is well known that Saudi Arabia is building mosques all over the world, and these mosques follow Wahhabism - the intolerant, pro-terrorism form of Islam. I just wonder if Saudi Arabia is behind this mosque, would it be preaching intolerance and terrorism not too far away from where those very actions took place?

You didn't really answer my question. Would it seem unreasonable, just like you, to "wonder" if the priest at the church near your son/daughter's school is a pedophile and may harm your child? Because it is "well known" that there were many, many people involved in those sexual abuse cases.

I did answer your question. I explained to you why I was uneasy about this mosque.

And earlier in this thread, I did say I did not believe all Muslims are terrorists.

I did answer your question. I explained to you why I was uneasy about this mosque.

And earlier in this thread, I did say I did not believe all Muslims are terrorists.

But would you, as a Catholic, accept people being uneasy about a Church being built near their child's school, as you are uneasy about the Islamic community centre being built near Ground Zero.

Back
Top Bottom