House Of Evil / Seed Of Peace - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #346
has a

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
I thought FGM was illegal through out the U.S. Since, it is very dangerous and there is no medical reason, what so ever to do it. Is it being done outside the medical community? Because, I haven't heard of any DR.s in Maryland hospitals or medical centers, doing this procedure.
It is being done by the girls' mothers/elder women, obviously outside the medical community--at least until they can't stop the girls' bleeding and decide to go to the ER.

It is fascinating to talk to ER staff BTW.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #347
Refugee

Local Time: 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
It is being done by the girls' mothers/elder women, obviously outside the medical community--at least until they can't stop the girls' bleeding and decide to go to the ER.

It is fascinating to talk to ER staff BTW.

Thank you for you reply.

I have read that FGM is still praticed in some African Countries. Because of ancient tribal and religious beliefs to ensure the young girl is "a virgin and ready for marriage." They believe it is a shaming of her family, if she refuses. Sewing closed, a rusty, disease infected razor and no medical treatment.

Too many little girls have died from this.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:18 PM
I saw some of this show, it was too depressing for me and I had to turn it off

Franklin Graham: Muslims In America Are Here To Build Mosques And Convert People | Mediaite
Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #349
Refugee

Thank you MrsSringsteen for the link.

Interesting debate. I liked when the lady said it shouldn't be a debate about who's religion has caused the most horror on earth. She was spot on.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #350
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Franklin Graham: Muslims In America Are Here To Build Mosques And Convert People | Mediaite
Phew!

I'm so glad Islam is the only missionary religion. Now, I know who to avoid.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
“They want to build as many mosques and cultural centers as they possibly can so they can convert as many Americans as they can to Islam."
...or they could be building them so that people who are Islamic and live in the U.S. have a place of their own to go to worship, just like every other religion has? Wacky idea, I know.

I really wish this sort of silliness was all I had to think about every day. It must be nice to have such a simple, non-complicated life free of any other concerns.

Angela
Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #352
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
...or they could be building them so that people who are Islamic and live in the U.S. have a place of their own to go to worship, just like every other religion has? Wacky idea, I know.

I really wish this sort of silliness was all I had to think about every day. It must be nice to have such a simple, non-complicated life free of any other concerns.

Angela
Exactly. A new mosque was built in White Marsh, Maryland. It can accomidate over five hundred people. Much better than the smaller place they were using for prayer.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

I remember my college and law school days very well. And I also remember never being approached by a Muslim preaching about anything, much less conversion. And I also remember Campus for Jesus or Christ on Campus or whatever the various groups were called, mercilessly irritating me in person and with their pamphlets. There was also the time when they approached my roommate and when she finally asked to be left alone by them, replied with "Don't you WANT to be saved??"
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #354
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I remember my college and law school days very well. And I also remember never being approached by a Muslim preaching about anything, much less conversion. And I also remember Campus for Jesus or Christ on Campus or whatever the various groups were called, mercilessly irritating me in person and with their pamphlets. There was also the time when they approached my roommate and when she finally asked to be left alone by them, replied with "Don't you WANT to be saved??"

Boy, Muslims in America must need to fire their marketing and P.R. agency if they are going to succeed in their plan.
I haven't ever been approached to convert. No pamphlets. No knocks on the screen door on the weekends.
And, they do have what some might call an image problem.

"Hey, come join Islam. Probably the most misunderstood and hated religious group in America. Free Madrassa education for your children."

Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #355
Refugee

Quote:

Boy, Muslims in America must need to fire their marketing and P.R. agency if they are going to succeed in their plan.
I haven't ever been approached to convert. No pamphlets. No knocks on the screen door on the weekends.
And, they do have what some might call an image problem.

"Hey, come join Islam. Probably the most misunderstood and hated religious group in America. Free Madrassa education for your children."

My son and daughter in law are Muslim. They live in my house. Saving up for a down payment on a home. And neither one of them have tried to convert me.

Catholics, Muslims, coexisting in the same home. Imagine that!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #356
has a

Quote:
My son and daughter in law are Muslim. They live in my house. Saving up for a down payment on a home. And neither one of them have tried to convert me.

Catholics, Muslims, coexisting in the same home. Imagine that!

I haven't been close friends with many Muslims, but the couple that I have spent a lot of time with have been incredibly well-versed in the 3 major religions and rather tolerant.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #357
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I can safely say I've never had to sit in a house for 35 minutes listening to Muslims extol the virtues of their faith (had to do that a while back with some Mormons. My sister's fiance answered the door and they were there and they didn't really know how to properly turn them away, so they invited them in and since it's their house, well... Nice people, but man, was I biting my tongue the whole time). Course, I've also had zero personal interaction with Muslims. But I don't exactly hear about them doing that sort of thing.

A stor, seriously, I want your life experience to be everyone's life experience . You sound like you've got a really good thing going.

Angela
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #358
Refugee

Thanks Angela,

They will explain their faith if you ask them. But, they don't feel the need to convert anyone. I also know some other people who are Muslim. They want to be part of American society, not excluded. Two of them were born in Eygpt. Have been legal American citizens for over twenty years. They were just as horrified by 9/11 as the rest of us. Their daughters were born in America. They will be the first to tell you that flying planes into buildings and commiting mass murder. Goes against everything they believe in.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #359
Refugee

Quote:

I haven't been close friends with many Muslims, but the couple that I have spent a lot of time with have been incredibly well-versed in the 3 major religions and rather tolerant.

I think you have brought up a very important point here. I believe the more you understand about religions. The more tolerant you become. There is more in common with the three major religions than differences. They do believe in the same God. Allah is an arabic word for God. This word is also used in Christian churches were Arabic is the primary language.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #360
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Thanks Angela,

They will explain their faith if you ask them. But, they don't feel the need to convert anyone.
Sounds like a great way to go about it. I have absolutely no problem discussing and learning more about people's faiths-you should have some knowledge, some understanding of different religions. Like you stated, it brings tolerance and respect, but it's also neat to learn something new. Religion does have a lot of fascinating history and culture and such, after all.

Just don't force it on people. I've never understood why people want to do that-wouldn't you want people to come to your faith because they genuinely wanted to? Where's the fun in having someone be part of a religion regardless of whether or not they actually want to be there? I would think any god would prefer sincere appreciation and praise rather than phony, "I'm only doing this 'cause someone made me do it" worship-they'll see through that. If people are truly interested, they'll seek it out on their own.

Quote:
I also know some other people who are Muslim. They want to be part of American society, not excluded. Two of them were born in Eygpt. Have been legal American citizens for over twenty years.
Cool . Happy to have them among our country's citizens-would be interesting to talk with them sometime, I'm sure .

Quote:
They were just as horrified by 9/11 as the rest of us. Their daughters were born in America. They will be the first to tell you that flying planes into buildings and commiting mass murder. Goes against everything they believe in.
I've no doubt about that-anyone who has any sort of compassion for humanity would be deeply upset by those events, no matter what their background. Not to mention, those idiots have cast an unfortunate bad light on their faith, now they have to worry about being treated with suspicion and fear because of a few creeps. And that's not fair to your friends. They did nothing wrong.

It's just so frustrating, the way we handle things in this world sometimes. We make life way more difficult and complicated than it really needs to be.

Angela