Honest Media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kramwest1

has a
I was thinking that a thread where people could list and make the case for honest media outlets/honest reporters that they know and follow would be helpful.
I don't doubt that it will devolve into something contentious, but it's worth a try.

I would like to recommend Engineering News-Record (ENR).
Construction, Building & Engineering News: ENR | McGraw-Hill Construction

Yes, it is primarily a construction-related magazine, but it has extensive coverage of government policy and spending due to infrastructure projects, code issues and security issues. I find their reporting to be largely factual and unbiased, and if they print an opinion, they tell you it's an opinion.

I also think that much of the reporting by Wired magazine is well done.
Wired News

I try to get my news from a variety of sources and form opinions form the grand total of what I read.

NPR may count on the majority of its listeners being left-leaning, but they do an excellent examining the entire scope of an issue, from both sides, and in a non-partisan fashion.

BBC and CBC have standards of journalism I used to think were the norm in journalism, but the slide of US cable news into the shitter has made them even more important for me.

Al Jazeera English provides a good source of Middle Eastern and Asian news from a non-US / Euro-centric point of view, which is important when looking at issues of Islamophobia and immigration on the old continent (like those wacky Dutch wah hey!!!!!).

I do listen or check into all of those ^, almost on a daily basis.

If one wants to be informed on any issue, they should avail themselves to multiple views. Some sources tend more to tailor their reporting to support an agenda.

Also, in the rush to be first, many jump on a story with unnessary conclusions. An easy example is this last plane / bomb scare out of Yemen.

A more reasonable thing to do would have been to say they need 3-4 days to investigate to see who was involved in the planning and what was the target / goal.

Surprising how many people consider Jon Stewart a good source for information.
The goal of his writers is to entertain, to get laughs. The edit out parts that do not fit in, that do not set up the joke.

I like NPR and the BBC, obviously. I wish more people had the easy access to those that I do.

It's interesting to find industry-specific media that still have journalistic integrity. That's part of the reason I listed ENR.

The other area I like to find news articles from is the financial and raw materials sectors. No doubt that you can find heavily-opinioned pieces there, but the guy who runs Coinflation.com
Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?
puts up links to world-wide articles related to these industries. About 1 of every 4 or 5 articles he posts links to are fair and interesting and talk about shortages, inflation and different government policies and actions from around the world (especially China and India).

Excellent idea for a thread, some worthwhile choices in here (never seen Al Jazeera news, but you're not exactly likely to see that broadcast in the heartland. If there's an online site or something, I'd be curious to check it out).

If one wants to be informed on any issue, they should avail themselves to multiple views. Some sources tend more to tailor their reporting to support an agenda.

Indeed. I usually try and gather my news from as many sources as possible-cable news, local news, local radio and newspapers, national papers/magazines. Then I can kinda figure out from there what's worth listening to and what isn't. It allows you to see if multiple people are coming to the same conclusions, or if there's vastly different takes on the same story, and so on.

Also, in the rush to be first, many jump on a story with unnessary conclusions. An easy example is this last plane / bomb scare out of Yemen.

A more reasonable thing to do would have been to say they need 3-4 days to investigate to see who was involved in the planning and what was the target / goal.

This is also quite true. Too many times they go ahead with the story without all the facts. I learned in school that's not how you go about doing things, it's amazing how many professional news people forget that.

Surprising how many people consider Jon Stewart a good source for information.
The goal of his writers is to entertain, to get laughs. The edit out parts that do not fit in, that do not set up the joke.

It's a crazy situation, yeah, when comedians are taken more seriously than the professional news anchors. I personally don't "get my news" from those kinds of shows-I usually have at least some idea of the stories they cover going in. I just enjoy them because they have an interesting, entertaining way of discussing the stories. It's nice sometimes to sit there and laugh at the absurdity of everything, especially if the real news shows have you depressed and/or scared. Sometimes I do learn some new, neat facts via their shows, which is a great bonus, but that's not the sole reason I watch.

Angela

The only news source I fully trust is Fox News and among their very talented (and brutally honest) journalists, my three favorites are Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity.

i'm not sure it exists anymore... which is why i find it important not to dismiss the media outlets who lean one way or another, but rather listen to all sides and try to form my own opinion.

those who just refuse to listen to any of the fox guys already mentioned, but swear by olbermann and maddow are just as silly as those who will only listen to beck and hannity.

I'm sure Fox's military-industrial backers are very happy to push their pro-Israeli agenda to keep the massive $$$ in US military sales to Israel going and going and going.... :up:

Associated Press, Nov. 5

MSNBC has suspended prime-time host Keith Olbermann indefinitely without pay for making political contributions.

Politico reported Friday that Olbermann contributed to the campaigns of three Democratic candidates this fall, including one on the same day he appeared on Olbermann's "Countdown" program.
:yippie:

(actually, I never watch TV news so in truth I don't give a shit)

Now, will Fox suspend Hannity for donating to Michele Bachmann before having her on his show?

I heard this today, on Fox News Radio of all places...

It seems very weird. Does Olbermann not know he can't do this, I mean is this in his contract? If so, he's not that stupid to think no one would find out. Is he?

At least we know 2861 is doing the happy dance...

If both places have such policies in place, all the staff should definitely adhere to them. And Keith's involvement while being critical of others who've done such things is absolutely hypocritical and he should be called out on it and acknowledge it as such.

Though, then again, it's funny this is even an issue-corporations are people now, right? This is what happens when you allow such rulings.

Angela

I was being sarcastic...I neither assumed Fox had such a policy, nor cared if they didn't. (ETA: the Hannity/Bachmann tidbit is true, though)

Should it be forbidden for journalists to make campaign contributions?

Last edited:
MSNBC is not as obnoxiously bad as Fox, but it's getting there in this culture of the arms race of being publicly outraged and overreacting to things, and Olberman is part of the problem. Glad he's off the air.

At least Maddow is smart, assured, and her smarmy attitude as a commentator comes off as well-informed, not being a pinhead prick like K.O. or Sean Hannity or Glennnnn Beck.

MSNBC is not as obnoxiously bad as Fox, but it's getting there in this culture of the arms race of being publicly outraged and overreacting to things, and Olberman is part of the problem.

I've watched his show before, but yes, have to agree with this.

At least Maddow is smart, assured, and her smarmy attitude as a commentator comes off as well-informed, not being a pinhead prick like K.O. or Sean Hannity or Glennnnn Beck.

:yes: I really like her. I just find it so refreshing to see a smart woman on TV.

Should journalists make contributions? Well, if they're doing it on their own time, I really don't care, go for it if you want. But I don't think it'd be wise to do it in the context of your job if you're hoping to maintain neutrality (and if you're doing it on behalf of your workplace-well, not everyone in your workplace may support the candidates/causes you do, don't speak for them). And I'd say that regardless of what job you have.

Angela

Should it be forbidden for journalists to make campaign contributions?

Absolutely not. But, with disclosure laws (at for us peons) journalists must consider what the effect might be on their credibility.

I find it sad AND hilarious that Olbermann contributes and is suspended.
Fox News Corp. contributes, and it's just good business.

:banghead:

I think I am going to incorporate myself so that I get my rights back.

But I don't think it'd be wise to do it in the context of your job if you're hoping to maintain neutrality (and if you're doing it on behalf of your workplace-well, not everyone in your workplace may support the candidates/causes you do, don't speak for them). And I'd say that regardless of what job you have.

I will admit, my wife and I run a business that bears her name.
I have a different last name, so I make the political contributions, she does not.
She makes more of the donations though, as does our company.

Sneaky. Maybe. But, there are a few of our clients that may not like our political contributions.

assuming the country is divided about 50/50

half the country disagrees with the other on some issues. probably less than 5%

because of that 5%, some act like they want to kill the other side

I think I am going to incorporate myself so that I get my rights back.
That would make an awesome T-shirt. Maybe with the Don't Tread On Me logo or even the tried-and-true raised fist or something.

Back
Top Bottom