Honest Media? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:13 AM
It just boggles the mind that Stewart took a giant shit on Crossfire and Colbert a giant shit on the White House Press Corps dinner.

I don't think they're always funny, not anywhere near Bill Hicks or George Carlin levels of social commentary ability, but they were and are the media "inside man" for the sane people in our population.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Damn, missed opportunity. I have so much respect for Tom Brokaw but "reputation for independence"? Come on Tom. I think he's in a WWII time warp

MSNBC President Phil Griffin vowed to fire Keith Olbermann if he went on other networks to discuss his suspension, The Daily Beast's Howard Kurtz reports.

Kurtz writes that the threat came during a conversation with Michael Price, Olbermann's manager, on Nov. 7, two days into Olbermann's suspension. Price told Griffin that, if the suspension was not resolved quickly, Olbermann would appear on "Good Morning America," "Larry King Live" and David Letterman's "Late Show" to air his side of the story.

"If you go on GMA, I will fire Keith," Griffin reportedly replied. Minutes later, though, Griffin released the statement announcing the lifting of the suspension and preventing an even more serious showdown. When Price asked Griffin why he had made such an extreme threat, Griffin told him, "we are at war."

Kurtz also writes that many within the broader NBC News organization had raised serious concerns about Olbermann with the top management. Chief among these, he says, was Tom Brokaw, who was one of several top NBC News stars to worry that Olbermann "has badly damaged MSNBC's reputation for independence."

Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
It just boggles the mind that Stewart took a giant shit on Crossfire and Colbert a giant shit on the White House Press Corps dinner.
Ah, yes, the White House dinner. Yeeeeeeeeeeah. That was all sorts of awesome. Very nervy move.

Anywho, yeah, MSNBC has its bias just like any other network/journalist does nowadays. With or without Olbermann, that channel would still be seen as leftist to many (hell, Ed Schultz, anyone? From the bits I've seen with him he's about as aggressive as Olbermann can be). Brokaw's concerns in and of themselves are worthwhile, we should have a media that's as independent as possible, but let's not pretend that MSNBC is a bastion of independence.

And if any media outlet has a bias, their setup, their choice, that's fine. I just wish they'd all be honest about it, that's all, and find people that can show the best of every political spectrum instead of the worst/most polarizing.

Angela
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Scarborough got suspended too

MSNBC has suspended "Morning Joe" host Joe Scarborough for the same violation that took Keith Olbermann off the air earlier this month.

In a statement, MSNBC President Phil Griffin said he has suspended Scarborough for making political donations to candidates in Florida without seeking prior approval:

This morning Joe Scarborough informed me that he made eight contributions of $500 each to local candidates in Florida between 2004-08. In my conversation with Joe two weeks ago, he did not recall these contributions. Since he did not seek or receive prior approval for these contributions, Joe understands that I will be suspending him for violating our policy. He will be immediately suspended for two days without pay and will return to the air on Wednesday, November 24th. As Joe recognizes, it is critical that we enforce our standards and policies.

Under NBC News policy, employees must seek prior approval if making political donations.

Scarborough apologized in a public statement, saying, "I recognize that I have a responsibility to honor the guidelines and conditions of my employment, and I regret that I failed to do so in this matter." His full statement appears below.

It was recently brought to my attention that I made political contributions over the past several years that are not consistent with MSNBC's guidelines. These contributions were to close personal friends and family members and were limited to local races.

Despite the fact that these races were local and not relevant to my work at MSNBC, I have been told they violated MSNBC guidelines.

I recognize that I have a responsibility to honor the guidelines and conditions of my employment, and I regret that I failed to do so in this matter. I apologize to MSNBC and to anyone who has been negatively affected by my actions.

I gave a number of $500 contributions to my brother and three longtime family friends. These contributions were nothing more than simple acts of friendship. I gained nothing personally, politically, or professionally from these donations.

To be blunt, I had no interest in their campaigns other than being kind to longtime friends.

Because the contributions involved local, non-competitive races--and were given for personal rather than political reasons--I mistakenly believed I did not need approval from MSNBC. I also apologize for that oversight.

After learning of this situation, I called Phil Griffin and agreed with Phil's immediate demand of a two-day suspension without pay.

I am proud to work for the NBC News family. There is nothing more important than maintaining the integrity of its highly respected brand.

I apologize to Phil Griffin, Steve Capus, and my colleagues. This will not happen again.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Wow, and I have been mentally associating "Morning Joe" with FOX for years because it's so horrible.

Just shows you that all the cable news networks are bad these days.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Wow, and I have been mentally associating "Morning Joe" with FOX for years because it's so horrible.
Heck no. I have no use for Scarborough.

Maybe he'll throw a temper tantrum and get two days with pay, like Keith did.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Heck no. I have no use for Scarborough.

Maybe he'll throw a temper tantrum and get two days with pay, like Keith did.
Then again Morning Joe's Fox News equivalent isn't so hot either.

YouTube - Brian Kilmeade Puts His Foot in His Mouth Again

This is what happens when you try to create "light morning chatter" programs for networks who can't pull them off, then staff them with idiots like Scarborough or Brian K. up there. Just ask ESPN how "Cold Pizza" is doing.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

They're dolts. Seriously, who can sit through that? I'd rather watch Hoda and Kathie Lee.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #84
has a

Local Time: 09:13 AM
I'm reviving this to add the magazine, Practical Sailor.

I was reading this on the plane home from U2, and my wife was looking over my shoulder and couldn't believe the "letters" section was loaded with honest and sharp criticism of companies and services, along with kudos and such. She asked if they accept advertising. No, there is no advertising in Practical Sailor. Perhaps that's why they are an honest media source. They are a little like the Consumer's Report of sailing equipment and gear.

So, in our current climate, there's one more source for you to trust. FWIW