Hillsbourough Memorial, Anfield, Justice for the 96

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge_92

The Fly
For anyone that attended would agree with me, what a great and very emotional day it was today at Anfield for the Hillsborough memorial. It was the 22nd anniversary, yet 96 dead Liverpool fans and 96 families still seek justice.

John Alfred Anderson (62)
Colin Mark Ashcroft (19)
James Gary Aspinall (18)
Kester Roger Marcus Ball (16)
Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron (67)
Simon Bell (17)
Barry Sidney Bennett (26)
David John Benson (22)
David William Birtle (22)
Tony Bland (22)
Paul David Brady (21)
Andrew Mark Brookes (26)
Carl Brown (18)
David Steven Brown (25)
Henry Thomas Burke (47)
Peter Andrew Burkett (24)
Paul William Carlile (19)
Raymond Thomas Chapman (50)
Gary Christopher Church (19)
Joseph Clark (29)
Paul Clark (18)
Gary Collins (22)
Stephen Paul Copoc (20)
Tracey Elizabeth Cox (23)
James Philip Delaney (19)
Christopher Barry Devonside (18)
Christopher Edwards (29)
Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons (34)
Thomas Steven Fox (21)
Jon-Paul Gilhooley (10)
Barry Glover (27)
Ian Thomas Glover (20)
Derrick George Godwin (24)
Roy Harry Hamilton (34)
Philip Hammond (14)
Eric Hankin (33)
Gary Harrison (27)
Stephen Francis Harrison (31)
Peter Andrew Harrison (15)
David Hawley (39)
James Robert Hennessy (29)
Paul Anthony Hewitson (26)
Carl Darren Hewitt (17)
Nicholas Michael Hewitt (16)
Sarah Louise Hicks (19)
Victoria Jane Hicks (15)
Gordon Rodney Horn (20)
Arthur Horrocks (41)
Thomas Howard (39)
Thomas Anthony Howard (14)
Eric George Hughes (42)
Alan Johnston (29)
Christine Anne Jones (27)
Gary Philip Jones (18)
Richard Jones (25)
Nicholas Peter Joynes (27)
Anthony Peter Kelly (29)
Michael David Kelly (38)
Carl David Lewis (18)
David William Mather (19)
Brian Christopher Mathews (38)
Francis Joseph McAllister (27)
John McBrien (18)
Marion Hazel McCabe (21)
Joseph Daniel McCarthy (21)
Peter McDonnell (21)
Alan McGlone (28)
Keith McGrath (17)
Paul Brian Murray (14)
Lee Nicol (14)
Stephen Francis O'Neill (17)
Jonathon Owens (18)
William Roy Pemberton (23)
Carl William Rimmer (21)
David George Rimmer (38)
Graham John Roberts (24)
Steven Joseph Robinson (17)
Henry Charles Rogers (17)
Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton (23)
Inger Shah (38)
Paula Ann Smith (26)
Adam Edward Spearritt (14)
Philip John Steele (15)
David Leonard Thomas (23)
Patrik John Thompson (35)
Peter Reuben Thompson (30)
Stuart Paul William Thompson (17)
Peter Francis Tootle (21)
Christopher James Traynor (26)
Martin Kevin Traynor (16)
Kevin Tyrrell (15)
Colin Wafer (19)
Ian David Whelan (19)
Martin Kenneth Wild (29)
Kevin Daniel Williams (15)
Graham John Wright (17)

My heart goes out to all the families who lost a loved a love one on this terrible day, YNWA. Justice For The 96.

For those of us elsewhere in the world, can you provide some context or explanation around what this is?

Well like me and all Liverpool supporters, we would like an official apology from the Sheffield police, as they are to blame for the disaster.
Also justice would be made for the 96 if "The Sun" (liars) newspaper is to disgrace and deny all allegations they made against Liverpool fans, claiming we stole from the dead as they lay on the pitch, and that we are the one to blame.

There's always three sides to the story. Yours, their's, and the truth...

From what I've read there hasn't been any absolute proof that it was 100% the police' fault.

As far as the Sun, I have no knowledge either way.

The 100% truth is that the police should not have opened the one turnstile, when there was hundreds of fans rushing to get in, causing crushing, which led to death. They died because they were crushed to death, no other reason, The Police should not of let that happen.

So there wasn't a chance that the crushing behind the turnstile would have caused deaths?

It's a horrific tragedy but to place absolute blame is very difficult in a situation like this.

The 100% truth is that the police should not have opened the one turnstile, when there was hundreds of fans rushing to get in, causing crushing, which led to death. They died because they were crushed to death, no other reason, The Police should not of let that happen.

the counter argument is that hundreds of fans should have chilled the fuck out.

regardless, it's a horrible disaster that ultimately has led to greater safety - and how few disasters have actually made things safer?

rip etc.

The police shouldnt have let so many people in. For the 96 families who are still seeking justice, its horrific, its a tragedy which has affected the sporting world. We all no the truth now all we need is justice, that 22 years on we are still waiting on. The Sun need to own up to their lies and horrid allegations and compensate the 96 Families and the Liverpool fans, for the pain they've caused.

Today was a gracious day were rivalry became united, today football came together to pay respect for the 96. To see Anfield in Red (home colours) and Blue (rival colours) just shows how much respect and dignity there is out there.

You'll Never Walk Alone - justice for the 96

the counter argument is that hundreds of fans should have chilled the fuck out.

regardless, it's a horrible disaster that ultimately has led to greater safety - and how few disasters have actually made things safer?

rip etc.

Okay imagine your going to a U2 concert, and lets say there is gonna be about 80,000 people there, and the police only open one turnstile, and everyone bottlenecks into that one turstile, pushing, running, fighting to get in. Its only going in one direction, tragedy.

There is only one argument there, why did the police only open one turnstile?

There's been a lot written/reported about and examined with this, and I agree that a few very poor decisions ultimately led to this becoming what it was. We went to Anfield a few years ago and it was sobering. Have you seen any of the documentaries, edge_92?

I'm not sure if the football culture is very understood by us on the outside. I know I certainly don't. I thought my husband was a tad mental for planning a 3 week European holiday based on a Liverpool game, but then we got over there and I realised his craziness is nothing compared to the locals. It's a beast, this culture. It's certainly nothing that sports mad Australia can match, and sport is our national religion. But with hillsborough, a few very fired up fans mixed with a large crowd, fueling a mob crush, and you have disaster waiting to happen. The mob couldn't go backwards, and a spiked fence blocked them at the front. They were trapped. It's beyond comprehension.

Okay imagine your going to a U2 concert, and lets say there is gonna be about 80,000 people there, and the police only open one turnstile, and everyone bottlenecks into that one turstile, pushing, running, fighting to get in. Its only going in one direction, tragedy.

There is only one argument there, why did the police only open one turnstile?

Now imagine if you're the police officer and 80,000 people are pushing shoving and getting crushed behind the turnstile... what do you do, allow them to contine to crush each other or relieve the pressure?

Always three sides.

Now imagine if you're the police officer and 80,000 people are pushing shoving and getting crushed behind the turnstile... what do you do, allow them to contine to crush each other or relieve the pressure?

Always three sides.

For a start i wouldnt open just one turnstile. Secondly i wouldnt let the event take place if there were to be the case of crushing. And lastly abit of preparation and organisation would do the world of good.

Its like when U2 played Sheffield in 2009, it took me 3 hours to get home, i was stuck in Sheffield traffic for 2 and a half hours of that. Just no preparation at all. The police didnt have a clue what to do. Read reports on that show to see other complaints about the trouble after the show.

If they would of prepared for the mass of crowd and traffic then everything would have ran smoothly.

For a start i wouldnt open just one turnstile. Secondly i wouldnt let the event take place if there were to be the case of crushing. And lastly abit of preparation and organisation would do the world of good.

If they would of prepared for the mass of crowd and traffic then everything would have ran smoothly.

Well see now you're being a little more open minded and honest about the situation. So the event planners, the stadium and the city played a part in this as well. So now we're removing some of that 100% blame on the police aren't we?

Well see now you're being a little more open minded and honest about the situation. So the event planners, the stadium and the city played a part in this as well. So now we're removing some of that 100% blame on the police aren't we?

No the police hold 100% blame for opening the turnstile. They committed the act, that was there decision. No one else to blame. Them opening that turnstile caused the death of 96 people.

I understand your emotional attachement to this one, therefore I'll bow out of this discussion, but by your own admission you said there were planning issues that were involved as well.

Hindsight is 20/20, so it's easy for us to play judge and jury. But if you put yourself in the police' shoes and you had thousands of drunken futbol fans crushing each other behind the turnstile it's not a cut and dry decision. Most would want to relieve that pressure.

That being said may they rest in peace, may their families find peace, and I'm glad lessons were learned.

Well like me and all Liverpool supporters, we would like an official apology from the Sheffield police, as they are to blame for the disaster.
Also justice would be made for the 96 if "The Sun" (liars) newspaper is to disgrace and deny all allegations they made against Liverpool fans, claiming we stole from the dead as they lay on the pitch, and that we are the one to blame.

I think a certain amount of justice was served through the addition of new stadium safety standards. The removal of the fencing and introducing all seating stadiums.

i can't believe it's 22 years already...

BVS, with all due respect, it's probably not the best thing going for the jugular and having a go at the poster as you usually tend to do - this is a very sensitive subject you clearly know nothing about...

i for one remember the horror of it all very well and my heart goes out to the families of the victims...

My apologies if it came off as "going for the jugular" I was just trying to present another side to a story.

I used to be in city planning, I do know a little about this story...

I think a certain amount of justice was served through the addition of new stadium safety standards. The removal of the fencing and introducing all seating stadiums.

This isnt justice mate, that is extra safety precaution due to the tragedy. Its like a plane crash, they make extra safety precautions to stop it happening again, but that doesnt justify the deaths of those in the crash.

My apologies if it came off as "going for the jugular" I was just trying to present another side to a story.

I used to be in city planning, I do know a little about this story...

i appreciate the apologies, thanks...

it's just an incredibly emotive subject that's etched on the consciousness of the British public who witnessed the events at the time - it was aired on our tvs, it was horrific, they couldn't even get ambulances onto the pitch... and it felt like the whole of England was there as it happened... it was very much a national tragedy... there was an official inquiry which indeed blamed the lack of crowd control... there were an awful lot of police failings that day, many inexplicable compared with usual protocol at footie matches...

Never been a big soccer fan, but I remember that sad day very well. I remember watching Jimmy Hill and the others in the studio, as shocked and dumbfounded as everyone else, as the death toll remorsely mounted throughout that terrible afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom