Hillsbourough Memorial, Anfield, Justice for the 96 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:32 AM
I understand your emotional attachement to this one, therefore I'll bow out of this discussion, but by your own admission you said there were planning issues that were involved as well.

Hindsight is 20/20, so it's easy for us to play judge and jury. But if you put yourself in the police' shoes and you had thousands of drunken futbol fans crushing each other behind the turnstile it's not a cut and dry decision. Most would want to relieve that pressure.

That being said may they rest in peace, may their families find peace, and I'm glad lessons were learned.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge_92 View Post
Well like me and all Liverpool supporters, we would like an official apology from the Sheffield police, as they are to blame for the disaster.
Also justice would be made for the 96 if "The Sun" (liars) newspaper is to disgrace and deny all allegations they made against Liverpool fans, claiming we stole from the dead as they lay on the pitch, and that we are the one to blame.
I think a certain amount of justice was served through the addition of new stadium safety standards. The removal of the fencing and introducing all seating stadiums.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:32 AM
i can't believe it's 22 years already...

BVS, with all due respect, it's probably not the best thing going for the jugular and having a go at the poster as you usually tend to do - this is a very sensitive subject you clearly know nothing about...

i for one remember the horror of it all very well and my heart goes out to the families of the victims...
Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:32 AM
My apologies if it came off as "going for the jugular" I was just trying to present another side to a story.

I used to be in city planning, I do know a little about this story...
Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnytakeawalk View Post
I think a certain amount of justice was served through the addition of new stadium safety standards. The removal of the fencing and introducing all seating stadiums.
This isnt justice mate, that is extra safety precaution due to the tragedy. Its like a plane crash, they make extra safety precautions to stop it happening again, but that doesnt justify the deaths of those in the crash.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
My apologies if it came off as "going for the jugular" I was just trying to present another side to a story.

I used to be in city planning, I do know a little about this story...
i appreciate the apologies, thanks...

it's just an incredibly emotive subject that's etched on the consciousness of the British public who witnessed the events at the time - it was aired on our tvs, it was horrific, they couldn't even get ambulances onto the pitch... and it felt like the whole of England was there as it happened... it was very much a national tragedy... there was an official inquiry which indeed blamed the lack of crowd control... there were an awful lot of police failings that day, many inexplicable compared with usual protocol at footie matches...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Never been a big soccer fan, but I remember that sad day very well. I remember watching Jimmy Hill and the others in the studio, as shocked and dumbfounded as everyone else, as the death toll remorsely mounted throughout that terrible afternoon.