Hey, Torontonians, Carleton cinemas is closing at the end of this week - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Hey, Torontonians, Carleton cinemas is closing at the end of this week

Very, very sad. I called cineplex.com and they said that the cinema had steadily been losing money and the company made the decision to close it.

The good news is that all the employees (who are among the very best and kindest of any cinemas out there) are getting jobs at other cinemas, including the Varsity, and the manager will be transferred to Scotiabank Theater, which has terrible customer service, so that's a relief to be getting a decent person.

Still, the very very bad news is that there is uncertainty if the less commercial films -- the documentaries, foreign films, and independent films -- that Carleton would show will be able to be fitted into the schedule for the other cinemas. It was a nice walking distance from where I live.

Now, I'll have to take the fraking subway to see a movie? That sucks.

I'll miss you, Carleton.

Here is that last set of films running until Sunday, December 5, 2009:
http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/The...n_Carlton.aspx

This is what happens when too many well-off people choose to download illegally some indie film that barely makes any money. I hate my age group for that.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:47 AM
This is tragic and shocking news to all of us at the same time, though I'm not so sure if your alleged cause for that event is really that applicable for that film genre/documentaries.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
This is tragic and shocking news to all of us at the same time, though I'm not so sure if your alleged cause for that event is really that applicable for that film genre/documentaries.
I don't understand what you're saying. This is the "Free Your Mind" section to talk about real world events, right? Where else would it fit? Also, there's no cause; I'm just letting fellow Toronto cinema goers know.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I dont think VV was implying that it didnt belong here. I believe he was saying that illegal downloaded wasnt really applicable to the genre of films they show and thus, may not have contributed much to the closing

that being said, I think it would fit better in the Lemonade Stand or Zoo Station, but I couldnt care less where it was
Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Your last sentence to me sounds pretty much like a 'cause' for the development.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
This is what happens when too many well-off people choose to download illegally some indie film that barely makes any money.
Well that's just a little bit of a stretch, don't you think?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

This is what happens when too many well-off people choose to download illegally some indie film that barely makes any money. I hate my age group for that.
That has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Your last sentence to me sounds pretty much like a 'cause' for the development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I dont think VV was implying that it didnt belong here. I believe he was saying that illegal downloaded wasnt really applicable to the genre of films they show and thus, may not have contributed much to the closing

that being said, I think it would fit better in the Lemonade Stand or Zoo Station, but I couldnt care less where it was
Thanks. I get it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Well that's just a little bit of a stretch, don't you think?
Why is it a stretch? There's a direct correlation between the increasing ability of people to download large files and the decline in being able to find even award-winning documentaries like "No End in Sight" or "Taxi to the Dark Side" or films like "Che", which was barely shown in cinemas here.

Whenever I hear about people seeing indie or foreign films or docs and they're in my age group, they've downloaded it illegally. I had a friend who would never want to go to the cinema alone, so he'd download illegally. That money wasn't going to the cinema or the film-maker.

At the very least it was part of the cause. That's quite indisputable.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Refugee

Anyway, I'm gonna check out a film now -- maybe "Anti-Christ" or the horse documentary.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm certainly sympathetic, as a movie-going Torontonian who likes obscure films (my last cinema experience, for instance, was a one-night rescreening of Orson Welles' "F for Fake"). Nonetheless, my reason for not seeing more films in theatres has nothing to do with downloading them off the internet, which I don't do, but the fact that these kinds of films are tremendously underpromoted, and I generally only expect to see most of them once they have been released on DVD. Plus, I'm forced to admit that I feel overworked these days, and I fear I'd fall asleep in the theatre half the time.

"Antichrist" is on my to-see list!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Whenever I hear about people seeing indie or foreign films or docs and they're in my age group, they've downloaded it illegally.
Anecdotally, I'm not terribly surprised. I know several people here who would fit that description. I have to wonder if it's due to a lack of legal, high-quality online video options here, coupled with a non-responsive media industry that views the internet mostly with contempt. And so tech savvy Canadians have learned not to expect this situation to change anytime soon, if ever.

I've been here a year now, and I still have Hulu withdrawals...heh.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:47 PM
I don't think I know anyone personally who downloads movies illegally. When I've read about people online doing it, it's always big blockbuster movies they're talking about.

Which probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the larger context, but I felt like sharing that, and so I did.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:47 PM
i wouldn't steal a car, but i'd download one if i could.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
I'm certainly sympathetic, as a movie-going Torontonian who likes obscure films (my last cinema experience, for instance, was a one-night rescreening of Orson Welles' "F for Fake"). Nonetheless, my reason for not seeing more films in theatres has nothing to do with downloading them off the internet, which I don't do, but the fact that these kinds of films are tremendously underpromoted, and I generally only expect to see most of them once they have been released on DVD. Plus, I'm forced to admit that I feel overworked these days, and I fear I'd fall asleep in the theatre half the time.

"Antichrist" is on my to-see list!
I just check Cineplex.com - Trailers - Movies - Theatres - Showtimes - Home weekly for showtimes, and know what to look for due to "At the Movies" (which used to be hosted by Ebert and Roeper and now is by Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott). I find that once stuff leaves the cinema, too much time has passed and I forget that I ever wanted to see it and very few video stores have everything.

I just saw the doc "The Horse Boy" about parents who try to aid their son's autism by taking him to see shamen in Mongolia; quite interesting and honest.

"Anti-Christ" will be showing past Thursday and into Sunday, but the 9-something showing on Sunday is cancelled.

From Friday to Sunday, they're going to be showing "Monty Python's Holy Grail", which was one of the first films the cinema ever showed when it opened in 1981.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Anecdotally, I'm not terribly surprised. I know several people here who would fit that description. I have to wonder if it's due to a lack of legal, high-quality online video options here, coupled with a non-responsive media industry that views the internet mostly with contempt. And so tech savvy Canadians have learned not to expect this situation to change anytime soon, if ever.

I've been here a year now, and I still have Hulu withdrawals...heh.
The folks I know never gave a damn about a legal option. You don't get more high quality than just going to the cinema. It's laziness. They don't want to rent, either.

Obviously, there's a grading scale of moral depravity on this; if you live in a town that doesn't have such films or are poor, it's much more understandable. Also, there's the matter of frequency. I'm no saint on this issue, but I do try my best.

The major thing people don't factor in because they're thinking about how people often buy albums they like that they've downloaded illegally (I, for one, was pushed into checking out and then buying Arcade Fire, The Strokes, Sufjan Stevens, etc by these same friends.) is that people rarely want to watch a film a 2nd time the way they might want to listen to an album a second time. Think of all the films you've liked; how many times have you seen them? So, even if an illegally downloaded film proves to be great, people have very little incentive to go and watch it at the cinema or rent it, let alone buy it. That's a huge blow to small films.