Help me understand the infatuation with Obama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only speak for myself but I am nowhere near "infatuated" with ANY politician, lol! I voted for Obama because I 90% disagreed with McCain/Palin and 90% agreed with Obama/Biden.

When you first started posting in FYM you posted one of the most racist articles in recent FYM history and the context to which you posted it was even more questionable, so all I'm saying is you are not the person I would go to for understanding of racial relations.

Oh that immigration article? I don't think that the article was as racist as you think it was. It was simply stating that asians were doing better than hispanics because they didn't put themselves into a victim status group and chose to do the effort necessary to succeed in school. Since I'm of South American descent it's hard for me to be anti-Hispanic. Nice try though with the "most racist article in FYM." Conservatives actually think that racial victim status categories are racist in of themselves because they by default assume that people in those categories need special help. In fact there were some conservatives that liked Obama winning precisely because they knew that some blacks would abandon the Al Sharpton canard that blacks don't have opportunities in the U.S.

Here is someone who is happy that Obama won because of the symbol of equality of opportunity.

YouTube - The View, Sheri Cries Over Obama's Win

But age correlates with health and health is a valid point with the presidency, race is not.

I agree and it did count against him but some women just didn't like the fact that he was ugly and he rolled his eyes. :lol: There definately was some ageism and lookism there. It's not a surprise to me though. I'm sure Republicans will be looking for someone at least 10 years younger or more for the next go around.

I never said he only talked about race, why is it you always talk around the subject? I listen to Rush almost daily, and I've rarely found him to have a decent point, but nice try.

Well we agree to disagree here. Conservatives like a lot of what he says and liberals don't. Par for the course. :up:

Oh that immigration article? I don't think that the article was as racist as you think it was.
I don't really want to explain it again, the article was horrible and it didn't even belong in that thread. I think the problem is and this applies to all subjects not just race(for you've been told in here several times by several posters), you either lack or maybe aren't capable of empathy. You can't seem to understand many situations outside of straight, white, conservative, male from Alberta.

I agree and it did count against him but some women just didn't like the fact that he was ugly and he rolled his eyes. :lol: There definately was some ageism and lookism there. It's not a surprise to me though. I'm sure Republicans will be looking for someone at least 10 years younger or more for the next go around.
What? Did you think they brought Palin in for her intellect?

Well we agree to disagree here. Conservatives like a lot of what he says and liberals don't. Par for the course. :up:
I like someone, it doesn't matter what side of the aisle, that uses logic to back up their stance, he's not one of those people...

While I think it is refreshing to see people really rally behind a President like this, I think the Democrats have to be careful as to how much of a big deal they make Obama being a President. I checked and when Bush was inaugurated, there was no special event that was held like they are doing for Obama. Today's event is a coronation. The Democrats need to realize that half of this country didn't vote for Obama and need to be careful about, even unintentionally, rubbing it into their faces.

Today's event I think is over the top and ridiculous. He hasn't even taken office as President and we are already throwing him a coronation-type celebration. As one journalist said, we are honoring him like he is Moses, and this was a journalist on CNN, not on Fox.

I think today's event is wrong on multiple levels and I will not be watching. :down:

^Bush was another middle-aged/older white man taking office. There's really nothing momentous to celebrate there. Many of these "coronation" events, especially today's concert aren't necessarily for Obama, himself, but rather for what his victory means to our country and the rest of the world.

While I think it is refreshing to see people really rally behind a President like this, I think the Democrats have to be careful as to how much of a big deal they make Obama being a President. I checked and when Bush was inaugurated, there was no special event that was held like they are doing for Obama. Today's event is a coronation. The Democrats need to realize that half of this country didn't vote for Obama and need to be careful about, even unintentionally, rubbing it into their faces.

Today's event I think is over the top and ridiculous. He hasn't even taken office as President and we are already throwing him a coronation-type celebration. As one journalist said, we are honoring him like he is Moses, and this was a journalist on CNN, not on Fox.

I think today's event is wrong on multiple levels and I will not be watching. :down:

Well I think the whole point is flying over your head...

^Bush was another middle-aged/older white man taking office. There's really nothing momentous to celebrate there.

I don't know what you are talking about

American's honor was stained.

Bush restored Honor and Dignity to the Whitehouse!!

(Also, it was obvious there was divine intervention, how else would the chad know exactly which ones had to hang?
a miracle like many you may have read about in the Holy Book )

We now had a Commander in Chief we could all be proud of.

instead of a Philanderer in Chief!!!

I don't really want to explain it again, the article was horrible and it didn't even belong in that thread. I think the problem is and this applies to all subjects not just race(for you've been told in here several times by several posters), you either lack or maybe aren't capable of empathy. You can't seem to understand many situations outside of straight, white, conservative, male from Alberta.

I have empathy but the emotion needs to be weighed with results of actions. I can have empathy all I want for people but the reality in this world is that when people help themselves with better choices they get better results than me "feeling their pain".

I know conservatives are attacked as having a lack of empathy because their comments sound judgemental and I believe they need to do some constructive criticism so people understand that they are trying to help instead of just judging. Conservatives certainly aren't perfect.

What? Did you think they brought Palin in for her intellect?

I won't pursue this since I know that you feel she's a cave dweller. :lol:

I like someone, it doesn't matter what side of the aisle, that uses logic to back up their stance, he's not one of those people...

Yeah we already agree to disagree here. :wink:

I have empathy but the emotion needs to be weighed with results of actions. I can have empathy all I want for people but the reality in this world is that when people help themselves with better choices they get better results than me "feeling their pain".

But you often think everyone has the same choices as you(as you've proven time and time again) and that's simply not reality... It's not about "feeling their pain" it's about educating yourself about their environment, their lives, and the choices they have, which you don't do.

...It's not about "feeling their pain" it's about educating yourself about their environment, their lives, and their choices...

And the fact that everyone does not start off from equal ground, a lot of people have a hell of a lot more to overcome from the start, due to circumstances beyond their control, or the situations and environments they were born into.

Equality is a myth. Equal opportunity might not be, but some people do have a much harder struggle to get from point A to point B than others do. For some, it's more like getting from point A to point Z.

Conservatives who sit back and offer "constructive criticism" without realizing the very real obstacles that some face, and without acknowledging that sometimes assistance is needed just sound weak, ignorant and lacking in empathy. They come across as smug, patronizing and condescending.

And the fact that everyone does not start off from equal ground, a lot of people have a hell of a lot more to overcome from the start, due to circumstances beyond their control, or the situations and environments they were born into.

Well said:) I hope Obama is a great new president. Lord knows we many changes in this country. Time will tell..We will see.. I do have lots of hope.

I looked up his family tree online last night with a friend, we were both saying that the most "fascinating" aspect of him is that. I'm interested in him as a person, not as a politician. I would like him to be more of a person than a politician.

Time will tell if he lives up to any realistic expectations, let alone ridiculous hype.

Yes. All the speeches and celebrations are good. But it's what he really does and accomplishes is what counts.

Well played but i live in the real world where let down is a reality and ebay no longer sell rose tinted shades.

If Martin Luther King Jr. and all those who fought with him and after him for Civil Rights had the same view, I can guarantee you that Barack Obama wouldn't the President of the United States right now.

We had Blair, enough said.

If you were british you would understand.

I just dont want people's hopes up.

I think that everyone but a very small percentage of the most deluded realize that things are bad, and he has a long, tough haul in front of him before things can improve significantly. However, I do believe that he's the best shot at real change and improvement that the US currently has.

I think that everyone but a very small percentage of the most deluded realize that things are bad, and he has a long, tough haul in front of him before things can improve significantly. However, I do believe that he's the best shot at real change and improvement that the US currently has.

I agree but the way people are talking they expect stuff over night.

I agree but the way people are talking they expect stuff over night.

Who is expecting this?

I keep hearing this, but honestly who is saying this?

Can someone show me who has said they expect tomorrow to be different, or even next month to be different?

Who is expecting this?

I keep hearing this, but honestly who is saying this?

Can someone show me who has said they expect tomorrow to be different, or even next month to be different?

The BBC must be asking the wrong Americans then. The way people hit out on the forum says enough.

Back
Top Bottom