Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
I think this is exagerated quite a bit... Mainly by the right, they are the ones calling him messiah, and saying that SO many people expect the world to change the day he gets into office.
Not just the right. (See Bonoz)

Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Rush Limbaugh is not going anywhere whether you like it or not BVS. You will have to wait for him to get a heart attack instead. Of course I could defend Rush by pointing out how "historical" Obama's nomination was and how race was definately highlighted in media throughout the world but I'm just a white conservative that doesn't no shit.
I didn't say Rush is going anywhere...

It cracks me up the hypocricy of you, Rush, and the like. The first poster to ever mention race during this elecetion in FYM was a conservative Rush worshiper, he said the only reason people like him is he's a good looking black man. Rush mentioned race as often as he could, saying white guilt was the only reason he'll win the election, etc... But then you all tried and pretend that you never made race an issue.

I could care less what one conservative black man says about race relations, I have my eyes open everyday, I know where this country stands. And if you want to be perfectly honest, I really don't think you of all posters really have any room to talk about race relations.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Not just the right. (See Bonoz)
I agree, but I do think it's "mainly the right".
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
I just don't get it. Why does everyone gush over this guy? He's just a politician. I don't understand why everyone seems so infatuated with him. Help a conservative Canadian understand this. I've never seen a politician with so much public appeal.
Ha ha FALSE.

This is a trick question. "Conservative Canadians" are as real as unicorns.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
He doesn't strike me as an idealogue. But then I've only read portions of his books.
I have the same impression.

You really should read the books in their entirety! I don't think I've ever found myself nodding in agreement so much while reading ever before. Well, maybe not as much for the first one. I'm not a black man in search of my identity, after all. But that one certainly gives a very clear indication as to how his unique upbringing and experiences helped him form the worldview that he seems to have.

I'm not sure if you have hard copies of the book at all, but if not, I can hook you up with .pdfs of them, if you don't mind reading on your computer.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh is not going anywhere whether you like it or not BVS. You will have to wait for him to get a heart attack instead. Of course I could defend Rush by pointing out how "historical" Obama's nomination was and how race was definately highlighted in media throughout the world but I'm just a white conservative that doesn't no shit. .
That's a real shame, cause I'd be interested in hearing from a white conservative that DOES know shit.

Quote:
Here's a Black conservative that talks about race relations regarding Obama's election in a 5 part series:

Shelby Steele on President-Elect Obama: Chapter 1 of 5 - Uncommon Knowledge on National Review Online.
I found this really interesting. How can we see the other four chapters? It's interesting that Steele characterizes Obama as a bargainer (and I agree that he is), when Steele is one himself. I guess it takes one to know one, huh. (And I say that as someone who is probably more likely a bargainer myself). The key to remember is that the bargainer and the challenger are both MASKS. It's not who they really are.

It's tough to be black in America. Even on January 20, 2009.

Quote:
I would also add that many people liked Obama's idea of tax cuts (in many cases rebates for those who don't make enough to get taxed) and tax increases for the wealthy. Some people would vote for anyone that would cut them a cheque.
How is this any different than a wealthy voter voting Republican so they can keep their tax breaks?

Quote:
Another area to add which I think VintagePunk mentioned is that Obama looks intellectual to Bush. Bush is not a great orator and Obama is. Many people react to those who speak well. If you can't communicate your ideas to the public well then why would they be convinced of you?
I don't think it's just that Bush is plainspoken (After all that worked to his ADVANTAGE when he ran for president). It's the two unpopular wars, the Katrina mess etc that you mentioned later. As for Palin, you have to concede that "I'm actually a really smart person, I just can't really express it that well" is not a very compelling argument. What else do we have to go on besides her ability to articulate her views and plans. I for one, don't believe Sarah Palin is as dumb as she's been portrayed. However, her inability to speak articulately about foreign affairs (an area where we can't just look at how she governed Alaska) was deeply worrisome. The argument that she essentially seemed to be making, "Shoot, I don't NEED to know that much about the rest of the world" was downright scary and very much the opposite of the Obama's approach to the "lack of experience" argument.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
I didn't say Rush is going anywhere...

It cracks me up the hypocricy of you, Rush, and the like. The first poster to ever mention race during this elecetion in FYM was a conservative Rush worshiper, he said the only reason people like him is he's a good looking black man. Rush mentioned race as often as he could, saying white guilt was the only reason he'll win the election, etc... But then you all tried and pretend that you never made race an issue.

I could care less what one conservative black man says about race relations, I have my eyes open everyday, I know where this country stands. And if you want to be perfectly honest, I really don't think you of all posters really have any room to talk about race relations.

Awesome! I guess I'm a racist now too. I do remember some women complaining how old and ugly McCain was and how good looking Obama was. Ageism is okay as long as it's an old decrepid Republican.

Actually Rush didn't just talk about race and he certainly covered some of the other topics I listed. I guess Rush's show is so nauseating for you that you can't, couldn't, wouldn't keep up to see how he can actually get a lot of things right if not all the time. In fact if Obama goes the Krugman way (based on the last stimulus article I posted) Rush will have lots of fodder to complain about outside of race.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Awesome! I guess I'm a racist now too.
When you first started posting in FYM you posted one of the most racist articles in recent FYM history and the context to which you posted it was even more questionable, so all I'm saying is you are not the person I would go to for understanding of racial relations.

Quote:
I do remember some women complaining how old and ugly McCain was and how good looking Obama was. Ageism is okay as long as it's an old decrepid Republican.
But age correlates with health and health is a valid point with the presidency, race is not.

Quote:
Actually Rush didn't just talk about race and he certainly covered some of the other topics I listed. I guess Rush's show is so nauseating for you that you can't, couldn't, wouldn't keep up to see how he can actually get a lot of things right if not all the time. In fact if Obama goes the Krugman way (based on the last stimulus article I posted) Rush will have lots of fodder to complain about outside of race.
I never said he only talked about race, why is it you always talk around the subject? I listen to Rush almost daily, and I've rarely found him to have a decent point, but nice try.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #24
She's the One

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:

Why are conservatives so quick to assume that liberals assume this about them?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
She's the One

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
It's long been known among African Americans thantwhen a black man enters prominence in whatever field he has to to be flawless, because the allowance for failure is much smaller for him. A friend and I have joked that if he does anything "wrong" you'll have white folks across the country nodding their heads and saying "See now--I knew it, those colored folks need to stick to the basketball and the singing and the dancing, and leave the leading of the country to us."
No shit.

Even though he's ten times smarter than a lot of his detractors.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Most people, of all races, have at least some racist views, so that's neither here nor there, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:15 PM
To answer the original question, the most basic answer is obviously because Barack Obama will be the first African-American president. For the United States, this is a major milestone. 200 years ago Barack Obama would have been a slave, owned by a white man. 50 years ago (in many states), he would have to drink from a different water fountain, and eat and/or sit in a different section of a bus or restaurant than white individuals. He likely wouldn't have even been able to go to college, much less Harvard Law School. Now, that's not to say, as many Conservatives would suggest, that those of us who are white simply voted for him because of the fact. I can only speak for myself, but Obama's ethnicity was not at all a factor in my decision to vote for him. As I've already stated, I am overwhelmed with joy that in a country that oppressed African Americans for so long, we as a people made a giant leap forward and elected one as our Commander in Chief. However, it's Obama's policy goals, his vision, his desire for equality, justice, and a better life for all Americans and people of other nations to have the same rights and opportunity that led me to vote for him and to be such a strong and vocal supporter. I believe his policies and goals for the war in Iraq, the economy, healthcare, education, and a host of other important issues are what is needed to move our country out of the disasters created by the Bush administration. I believe that he's a clean break from Boomer politics that is nothing but a left-over liberal/conservative fight of the 1968 election and the major political and social upheavals that followed. I believe he's intelligent, competent, and a careful decision maker, who, like, President Clinton, Kennedy, F. Roosevelt, Lincoln, (any of our greatest leaders), will consider every side of an issue and seek advice from those with many different points of view. This is a marked contrast from our current president's unilateral belief in his inherent correctness. Bush's lack of intellectual curiosity and his lack of desire to gain understanding about anything is a major cause to the majority of the biggest problems we see in the U.S. right now. I believe Obama has a chance to change all of that. So, to sum up, the answer to your question, although it's a valid and excellent one, is going to be different for all people depending on their opinions and life experiences. The most general infatuation with Obama, though, I truly believe is what his victory says about our most basic ideals: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They're no longer just words on a piece of paper, they've been brought to life in a huge way.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #28
Refugee

I don't get the infatuation with him either. I am glad he was elected and not McCain (I voted for Ron Paul actually), but there's like this belief that Obama is going to lead us out of this situation the Bush administration put this country in. He's got a HUGE financial crisis to deal with and I hope that Obama does in fact bring this 'change' that he has promised. I really really truly do. But a lot of the rabid Obama supporters think he's this glorified savior that will miraculous save this country.

Well, personally, while I hope he does fix our problems, no offense to Obama and to Congress, but I think just like Presidents before him, he will fail. And before we know it this country will be turning on Obama. And then the people who were in love with Obama will then either be in denial or say it wasn't his fault. Truthfully, even if Obama fails as a President, it really isn't his fault. You can't blame or praise a President for things that happened because Congress has to make it happen too. And in Obama's case, if he does fail, he stepped in when this country was in the shitter anyway, so to expect one man to fix everything is huge pressure.

I hope he and the Dems can get things done, but frankly, I think in four years this country will vote him out because they got nothing done and his words would have been empty words and he would have failed.

I HOPE change is gonna come.

I think, and hope I'm wrong, that the Obama administration will fail, regardless of it's his fault or not.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

because Obama is an adult. we've had 8 years of a man-child with no attention span or curiosity who's been working out a massive daddy-infeority complex.

he's as thoughtful a politician as i've heard on the national stage, and i think he'll be intensely pragmatic.

i am hopeful because he is the exact opposite of what we've had for the past 8 years, and the past 8 years have been ruinous.

those who say that it's just because he's a "celebrity" -- yeah, like, everyone knew who he was 2 years ago -- or because he's black -- there's some racism for you -- are still eating bitter corn flakes.

welcome to the 21st century. check your resentment for whatever you haven't accomplished in your life at the door.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
because Obama is an adult. we've had 8 years of a man-child with no attention span or curiosity who's been working out a massive daddy-infeority complex.

he's as thoughtful a politician as i've heard on the national stage, and i think he'll be intensely pragmatic.

i am hopeful because he is the exact opposite of what we've had for the past 8 years, and the past 8 years have been ruinous.

those who say that it's just because he's a "celebrity" -- yeah, like, everyone knew who he was 2 years ago -- or because he's black -- there's some racism for you -- are still eating bitter corn flakes.

welcome to the 21st century. check your resentment for whatever you haven't accomplished in your life at the door.
Yup. I figured you'd incidentally sum up my view rather succinctly, and I'm glad to see I was right.