Health care systems around the world which is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleoscar

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Healthcare Economist ? Health Care Around the World: An Introduction

My favorite line is about Greece: "Funding. In Tanner’s opinion, 'the Greek health care system is funded through payroll taxes, general tax revenue and bribery.' " :huh:

From what I can see Switzerland, Japan, and France have better than average systems. In Canada I know there are long waiting lines. It appears that a system with cost sharing, private sector competition and government mixed in round things out well. Countries with a completely centralized system that negate choice lead to people wanting to spend extra to go to other countries.

Also it's a no brainer. The countries that have more individuals who practice a healthy lifestyle alleviates the burden on the health care system in any country.

Well there is no perfect system.

And like you mentioned it's hard to do an exact comparison for one may work better for certain populations than others...

I think one of the biggest flaws in the majority of healthcare programs that I've seen is that they don't focus much on preventitive education.

My country is cold. Lots of people who sit around in winter not exercising. I try to keep up to the gym but somedays are so cold that it's punishing to just get in your car. I definately exercise in the summer a lot more. I'm sure weather in Japan and France can help with a lifestyle that includes much more walking.

Can't say which one is the best.

Can say which ones are better

and which ones are worse

U S has some great Health Care for some people
but as a whole the U S system is only the best for Insurance Companies, Big Pharma, and high-paid surgeons and internists.

As general curiosity, how many of you fine people of FYM go to doctors who are members of your family?

My country is cold. Lots of people who sit around in winter not exercising. I try to keep up to the gym but somedays are so cold that it's punishing to just get in your car. I definately exercise in the summer a lot more. I'm sure weather in Japan and France can help with a lifestyle that includes much more walking.

I gained so much weight last winter due to the fact that excessive amounts of snow—record amounts, I might add—precluded me from going out when not absolutely necessary. This winter I'll make more of an effort to stay active.

I gained so much weight last winter due to the fact that excessive amounts of snow—record amounts, I might add—precluded me from going out when not absolutely necessary. This winter I'll make more of an effort to stay active.

It's worth it. When you start exercising after a long period of inactivity it can lead to injuries. Maybe I should take up something like cross country skiing.

300/year for a gym is probably still the cheapest.

Can't say which one is the best.

Can say which ones are better

and which ones are worse

U S has some great Health Care for some people
but as a whole the U S system is only the best for Insurance Companies, Big Pharma, and high-paid surgeons and internists.

Mine is centrally planned and we have universal access but there is rationing and the line ups are frustrating. I'm sure there will eventually be changes to add the private sector and cost sharing but that depends on political opinion.

Why, it's a no brainer. The U.S. is the best!

Only in America can you have health insurance, pay through the nose for it, get sick, have essential coverage denied, and go bankrupt.

USA! USA! USA!

Why, it's a no brainer. The U.S. is the best!

Only in America can you have health insurance, pay through the nose for it, get sick, have essential coverage denied, and go bankrupt.

USA! USA! USA!

But, insurance policies are contracts, or something like that right.

So if one's gets sick they have coverage.

Unless the insurer can prove they lied on their application.

Insureds are given the opportunity to tell the truth 100s? of times on the multi-page application they must fill out to get insurance. Also, the insurance company is very helpful by asking all the questions in very precise terms, again giving the insured dozens of time to not make one mistake and tell the truth.

The insurance companies are very kind and don't bother to verify the answers are all exactly correct when they grant coverage. This way many marginal people have the peace of mind of having coverage for many years perhaps 10, or 20 years.

Why is it wrong for the insurance copany to verify the person told the whole truth on their multi-page application when they start to use large amounts of insurance coverage? If the insurance company just paid out claims they would have to raise their rates to get their profits back up to keep share holders and the Board of Directors in a comfortable lifestyle.

If some dishonest person had coverage for 20 years and then is discovered when he starts to cut into insurance companies operating expenses and profits, well who's fault is that?

I live in the same cold country and I got to the gym 6-7 days a week last year. It's a huge pain in the ass, especially when I was going at 6 am, but it's not like it's not doable.

Prevention really is key. It's appalling how sedentary we are as a society and how horribly we eat.

As general curiosity, how many of you fine people of FYM go to doctors who are members of your family?

My father is a doctor, so yes (unless it involves taking my pants off).

BUT I'm Australian and we all have healthcare anyway so I guess that's not the point of the question.

I live in the same cold country and I got to the gym 6-7 days a week last year. It's a huge pain in the ass, especially when I was going at 6 am, but it's not like it's not doable.

Prevention really is key. It's appalling how sedentary we are as a society and how horribly we eat.

Everything is about convenience.

I didn't find much time for cooking in the past. Eventually I found time by simply cooking tons more than I needed and using tupperware to bring to work. I also rarely watch TV now, because there just so many other more important things to do. Time management is key to take control of your diet. Eating more fruits and vegetables helps in filling your stomach with fibre so you don't feel hungry all the time. Most weightloss programs are based on that but you can do it yourself without paying tons of money for these programs.

The Health care system here in the UK is possibly the only thing in the UK worth sticking around for in my opinion. It's not perfect (nothing ever will be, will it?) but everyone's entitled to free health care and, although there will be a wait for some treatments (the waiting length depending on how much you need it etc) you do get the treatments, and for free, in the end :up:

perhaps this is why we should take a closer look at Sardinia and Okinawa.

I saw a documentary on people studying those two very places.

They say Sardinia has to do with a special combination of genes, because they eat plenty of meat and live a long time. I personally think fish helps but the documentary didn't go in that direction. Okinawans have adapted to famines and wars so they adapted to eat less. The Okinawan way is to eat more colorful vegetables and vegetable protein. The most important thing is to eat only to 80% full as the Okinawans say. They also exercise more. The newer generation is abandoning that way and are getting fatter and their body doesn't absorb alchohol and fatty diets as well as north americans so they get the ill affects more than we do.

The documentary also showed people with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow where because of population concentration in the 20th century during the period where lots of infections occurred. The children that had the highest fever (inflammation) would surivive but the inflammation would also shorten your lifespan overall. The conditions have changed but the gene pool will have to mix to iron that tendency out.

They talked to a doctor who was still working in heart surgury in his 90's and he was the only one in his family that lived that long with no particular genetic predispositions to long life.

The final conclusion is that genes adapt to a certain way of life and that way of life can be affected by lifestyle choices as well. You can't fight your genes but you can choose which ones to aggravate by the food you eat and how much exercise you have. My take is that your genes have a potential and your lifestyle will let you meet that potential or diminish it. More studies will have to be made on the genetic factor because they have only found a few.

Also another factor in Loma Linda California was stress reduction in Seventh day adventists. If you live a contemplative life and can handle the stresses in your life with whatever faith or belief system it will reduce the stress hormone cortisol. I think that's a big one. Find some way to control your stress. I prefer meditation but that's an individual thing.

But, insurance policies are contracts, or something like that right.

So if one's gets sick they have coverage.

Unless the insurer can prove they lied on their application.

Insureds are given the opportunity to tell the truth 100s? of times on the multi-page application they must fill out to get insurance. Also, the insurance company is very helpful by asking all the questions in very precise terms, again giving the insured dozens of time to not make one mistake and tell the truth.

The insurance companies are very kind and don't bother to verify the answers are all exactly correct when they grant coverage. This way many marginal people have the peace of mind of having coverage for many years perhaps 10, or 20 years.

Why is it wrong for the insurance copany to verify the person told the whole truth on their multi-page application when they start to use large amounts of insurance coverage? If the insurance company just paid out claims they would have to raise their rates to get their profits back up to keep share holders and the Board of Directors in a comfortable lifestyle.

If some dishonest person had coverage for 20 years and then is discovered when he starts to cut into insurance companies operating expenses and profits, well who's fault is that?

Don't forget the old "no, we think it's a pre-existing condition" backup plan.

Those selfish customers....

When I needed to see a Rheumatologist, I went to my cousin. I have known him since I was a little girl, and I know his schooling, and know he was at or near the top of his class. He's been practicing for many years (his own private practice), and I figured if anyone was actually gonna look out for me & my best interest, it would be him.

i think it's unacceptable that anyone has to file bankruptcy due to the cost of necessary medical procedures. it happens all the time.

i'm not bankrupt, but i've paid close to $10,000 for my medical bills related to an accident i had over a year ago, and the bills keep on coming as i continue to need treatment.

for many, that might mean bankruptcy.

and i'm insured. i pay $170 a month out of pocket.

i think it's unacceptable that anyone has to file bankruptcy due to the cost of necessary medical procedures. it happens all the time.

That's one problem but if the government insures everything then cost overruns from government monopoly lead to rationing and a long lineup so universal access leads to universal access to a line up. A mix of government and private sector seems to cover most needs better.

The problem with health care systems is that they can't cure everything and it's incumbant on us to be more careful. A lot of resources would be not as burdened if people ate better and exercised more. If people actually drove safely they would save their own lives and other innocent bystanders.

Certainly government should help in catastrophic care. If your baby is born with medical problems and you couldn't have avoided it then it doesn't make sense that people should go bankrupt because of it.

I like the idea of home care. Families usually do a better job of care than strangers and are motivated to give that extra care and if government can help get nurses in homes patients would GREATLY benefit. Having home nurses for my mom helped her care enormously and we could keep her safe. It also cost our health system less than leaving her in a paid room with paid staff that would ignore her equally. Family is important.

Back
Top Bottom