Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
perhaps this is why we should take a closer look at Sardinia and Okinawa.
I saw a documentary on people studying those two very places.

They say Sardinia has to do with a special combination of genes, because they eat plenty of meat and live a long time. I personally think fish helps but the documentary didn't go in that direction. Okinawans have adapted to famines and wars so they adapted to eat less. The Okinawan way is to eat more colorful vegetables and vegetable protein. The most important thing is to eat only to 80% full as the Okinawans say. They also exercise more. The newer generation is abandoning that way and are getting fatter and their body doesn't absorb alchohol and fatty diets as well as north americans so they get the ill affects more than we do.

The documentary also showed people with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow where because of population concentration in the 20th century during the period where lots of infections occurred. The children that had the highest fever (inflammation) would surivive but the inflammation would also shorten your lifespan overall. The conditions have changed but the gene pool will have to mix to iron that tendency out.

They talked to a doctor who was still working in heart surgury in his 90's and he was the only one in his family that lived that long with no particular genetic predispositions to long life.

The final conclusion is that genes adapt to a certain way of life and that way of life can be affected by lifestyle choices as well. You can't fight your genes but you can choose which ones to aggravate by the food you eat and how much exercise you have. My take is that your genes have a potential and your lifestyle will let you meet that potential or diminish it. More studies will have to be made on the genetic factor because they have only found a few.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Also another factor in Loma Linda California was stress reduction in Seventh day adventists. If you live a contemplative life and can handle the stresses in your life with whatever faith or belief system it will reduce the stress hormone cortisol. I think that's a big one. Find some way to control your stress. I prefer meditation but that's an individual thing.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:40 AM
it is stress that kills.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
But, insurance policies are contracts, or something like that right.

So if one's gets sick they have coverage.

Unless the insurer can prove they lied on their application.

Insureds are given the opportunity to tell the truth 100s? of times on the multi-page application they must fill out to get insurance. Also, the insurance company is very helpful by asking all the questions in very precise terms, again giving the insured dozens of time to not make one mistake and tell the truth.

The insurance companies are very kind and don't bother to verify the answers are all exactly correct when they grant coverage. This way many marginal people have the peace of mind of having coverage for many years perhaps 10, or 20 years.

Why is it wrong for the insurance copany to verify the person told the whole truth on their multi-page application when they start to use large amounts of insurance coverage? If the insurance company just paid out claims they would have to raise their rates to get their profits back up to keep share holders and the Board of Directors in a comfortable lifestyle.

If some dishonest person had coverage for 20 years and then is discovered when he starts to cut into insurance companies operating expenses and profits, well who's fault is that?
Don't forget the old "no, we think it's a pre-existing condition" backup plan.

Those selfish customers....
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
As general curiosity, how many of you fine people of FYM go to doctors who are members of your family?
When I needed to see a Rheumatologist, I went to my cousin. I have known him since I was a little girl, and I know his schooling, and know he was at or near the top of his class. He's been practicing for many years (his own private practice), and I figured if anyone was actually gonna look out for me & my best interest, it would be him.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i think it's unacceptable that anyone has to file bankruptcy due to the cost of necessary medical procedures. it happens all the time.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

I couldn't agree more. And not just medical procedures - all medical expenses.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
i think it's unacceptable that anyone has to file bankruptcy due to the cost of necessary medical procedures. it happens all the time.

i'm not bankrupt, but i've paid close to $10,000 for my medical bills related to an accident i had over a year ago, and the bills keep on coming as i continue to need treatment.

for many, that might mean bankruptcy.

and i'm insured. i pay $170 a month out of pocket.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:40 AM
The Gesundheit! Institute
Old 10-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
That's one problem but if the government insures everything then cost overruns from government monopoly lead to rationing and a long lineup so universal access leads to universal access to a line up. A mix of government and private sector seems to cover most needs better.

The problem with health care systems is that they can't cure everything and it's incumbant on us to be more careful. A lot of resources would be not as burdened if people ate better and exercised more. If people actually drove safely they would save their own lives and other innocent bystanders.

Certainly government should help in catastrophic care. If your baby is born with medical problems and you couldn't have avoided it then it doesn't make sense that people should go bankrupt because of it.

I like the idea of home care. Families usually do a better job of care than strangers and are motivated to give that extra care and if government can help get nurses in homes patients would GREATLY benefit. Having home nurses for my mom helped her care enormously and we could keep her safe. It also cost our health system less than leaving her in a paid room with paid staff that would ignore her equally. Family is important.