Having the sex talk with your kids - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Dr. Berman is on again today, with two 14 year olds who say they are ready to have sex. That should be interesting.
Ha, missed this when you originally posted it. I recall watching the episode and the 14 year old boy blowing up his big opportunity by describing his "long-term" interest in his 14 year old girlfriend as being 6 months to a year. Her face was priceless and while I felt bad for her, she needed to hear it. And she wouldn't have believed that to be the case unless it came directly from him.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #47
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Steve Slack, director of the Centre for HIV and Sexual Health at NHS Sheffield, who is one of the authors, argues that, far from promoting teenage sex, it could encourage young people to delay losing their virginity until they are sure they will enjoy the experience.
Not unless they want to be in good health and 'keep the doctor away'.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #48
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:01 PM
My guess is most of their target audience will get a good laugh out of that as one more example of how stupid adults sound when they're trying too hard, and not a whole lot else.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:01 AM
I am currently dealing with the same sort of thing, BUT it's my niece asking the question not my kid because I don't have any.

What I told her (bc she is 5 as well) is that when two people love each other they sometimes like to have a baby. And that someday when she is older she will better understand all the things that "having a baby" entail but for now all she needs to worry about is being a kid and having fun. She seemed to take that answer just fine, now if I could just figure out how to handle answering the question of "why I haven't gotten married" all would be well.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamswildhoney View Post
.... now if I could just figure out how to handle answering the question of "why I haven't gotten married" all would be well.
I feel your pain.

<=== Eight nieces and nephews. No kids, never been married.

Although I told my closest niece once, "I almost got married twice" she had to have been about 7 or 8 at the time, somehow it just made it worse...haha.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:01 AM
I have never talked about sex with either of my parents once. That would be terrifyingly weird, for all of us. I can't imagine it.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
now if I could just figure out how to handle answering the question of "why I haven't gotten married" all would be well.

I would just tell her that it's best to take your time to know as much as you can that the person is the right one for you and that the marriage has the best chance at being a good one. That you only want to get married for those reasons, and not for any others.

You're probably only in your 20's-I would imagine that a five year old thinks that someone that age is ancient. But I bet she would understand in her own way
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
I recall watching the episode and the 14 year old boy blowing up his big opportunity by describing his "long-term" interest in his 14 year old girlfriend as being 6 months to a year. Her face was priceless and while I felt bad for her, she needed to hear it. And she wouldn't have believed that to be the case unless it came directly from him.
I saw it too and that was how I felt too. It felt heartbreaking from my standpoint for a 14 year old girl (especially on national tv), but at the same time it was hopefully a potent moment for her. If more of these girls had to face the reality of the guy's actual interest in them maybe it would make a difference, maybe not. Being 14 and all that entails, I don't know.

Maybe it takes getting older for that to happen, but then again it doesn't always happen even when we're much older. We fool ourselves just as often as they fool us. Probably much more often.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #54
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Did they talk about what it means to be "ready" on this show? Because I think that's something a lot of parents send mixed or at least muddled messages to their kids on. Especially girls.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #55
Refugee

In a roundabout way they did. They asked the 14 year old couple all the questions that point to readiness. Other than being smitten with each other they hadn't properly contemplated any of those issues. By the end he was still willing to go for it, she had changed her mind.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
now if I could just figure out how to handle answering the question of "why I haven't gotten married" all would be well.
And here I thought only annoying, nosy and inconsiderate married women asked that question (for which there are endless put-em-in-their-place half-joking answers).