Have the tobacco police gone too far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was going to be a thread about these guys:

atf_2.jpg

yes
the tobacco police have gone too far.
I live in a beach town. they banned smoking on the beach.
seemed a bit much,

the butts were a problem, kids could get burned, etc. :shrug:

now there is a push to ban smoking in all public places? walking down the sidewalk? in a parking lot?

yeah, they have gone too far.

Thank you diamond :wave:

I say we keep restrict tobacco to the point of de facto illegality, then we can tackle the scourge of fast food.

fast food is really bad for you. i encourage you to add more whole grains, vegetables, and fresh fruit to your diet. try to balance it with a lean protein like fish. :)

good luck!

I only started smoking cus I saw Bono with a cigarette and thought it was COOOOL and I want to be just like him.

yes
the tobacco police have gone too far.
I live in a beach town. they banned smoking on the beach.
seemed a bit much,

the butts were a problem, kids could get burned, etc. :shrug:

now there is a push to ban smoking in all public places? walking down the sidewalk? in a parking lot?

yeah, they have gone too far.

On the beach? Does that not constitute as 'outside' ? That seems like one serious breach of one's liberty - why the hell don't the governments ban it altogether if they're going to do that?

Oh wait. Tax. Yeah.

I went to Disney World last week and I was surprised that they allow smoking in outdoor areas there. I thought they said no but I saw people smoking. At least Mickey wasn't standing around with a butt hanging out of his mouth.

any girls/women here smoked a cigar or a pipe?

My friends got me a pack of cigars for my 18th. Wasn't too taken with them, seeing as I don't smoke anyway :shrug: I looked bloody cool though.

In March 2006, then 37 year-old Deborah Scott turned to the Internet to memorialize the loss of both of her parents to cigarette smoking. In closing she wrote, "I never want my children to have to go through what I went through." Sadly, Deborah is now living her worst nightmare, as one year later she received her own diagnosis of lung cancer.

I'm Deborah and Smoking has Smoked this Body

I frequent the beaches around here often and am glad most have banned smoking. I don't think there's really burn hazard for kids but IMO it's just plain annoying and rude, especially since the smokers have a way of getting there well after you've set up and then sitting so that their smoke blows away from them at you, not to mention I don't think I've ever seen them pick up after themselves.

I don't know.

I only smoke about two or three Lucky Strikes a month.

I field strip them after a smoke.

I did not realize that the smoking minority were littering the beaches.

Field strip those fags!!!!!

Two cigarettes a month?? You're not even a "real" smoker, so I can't understand your pro-smoking advocacy.

Some of my friends smoke the occasional cigar and they wouldn't consider themselves smokers.

I am real smoker. I smoke Lucky Strikes nonfilter.

I am not a pro-smoking advocate.

My rant is about this nonsense propaganda that nicotine is as addictive as heroin and helpless addicts need to spend $$$$ to break the addiction or they need to be helpless in their habit.

I have friends who fought against heroin and crack cocaine addiction.

I will wait for your comment and others before a reply.

Smoking a pack a year, to me, means you are not a smoker.

Nicotine absolutely and completely is as addictive as heroin. This is scientifically proven. Just because you didn't become addicted, doesn't mean it is not addictive.

I am glad to hear your friends got clean, but because they developed heroin and crack cocaine addictions doesn't imply that nicotine is not as addictive as heroin. There are, believe it or not, casual heroin users. They are rare but they exist. I have an acquaintance who has used pretty much everything, including h., but never became addicted to the h. (He did with the cocaine, however.)

Smoking a pack a year, to me, means you are not a smoker.

Nicotine absolutely and completely is as addictive as heroin. This is scientifically proven. Just because you didn't become addicted, doesn't mean it is not addictive.

"Nicotine absolutely and completely is as addictive as heroin. This is scientifically proven.

I disagree. By what science? Have read this in a paper or something?

Do you think the anti-tobacco advocates spew propaganda?

Should most baby boomers be dead now from second hand smoke because when they were growing up smoking was allowed almost everywhere?

I disagree. By what science? Have read this in a paper or something?

May 16, 1988: Nicotine Declared As Addictive as Heroin, Cocaine

Do you think the anti-tobacco advocates spew propaganda?

Of course. Theirs generally has better scientific backing, however.

Should most baby boomers be dead now from second hand smoke because when they were growing up smoking was allowed almost everywhere?

No. No-one said that. What is scientifically proven is that, for a non-smoker, living in close proximity to a smoker over a long period of time increases the risk of certain forms of cancer by a massive 35%. Ok, it's 35% of a small risk, but still.

Did you read the article in the link I posted above?

(Apologies if I'm tetchy. Three days off NRT. :wink:)

May 16, 1988: Nicotine Declared As Addictive as Heroin, Cocaine

Of course. Theirs generally has better scientific backing, however.

No. No-one said that. What is scientifically proven is that, for a non-smoker, living in close proximity to a smoker over a long period of time increases the risk of certain forms of cancer by a massive 35%. Ok, it's 35% of a small risk, but still.

Did you read the article in the link I posted above?

(Apologies if I'm tetchy. Three days off NRT. :wink:)

My grandfather died at the age of 87.

His twin brother died at the age of 107.

Both of them used tobacco in moderation.

What I am trying to say here is that whatever we do, we should do in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom