Have the tobacco police gone too far? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #106
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:58 PM
well i can only really speak for NYC... and smoking outside of bars is still very much legal and in practice, even in the dead of winter.

the recent ban went for public parks... meaning central park, the times square pedestrian plaza, city beaches, coney island boardwalk, etc. etc. i'm in favor of this, and would have liked to see it also include outdoor subway and train platforms as well.

if you want to smoke on the sidewalk, i've got no problem with that... i just walk to the other side of the street.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Smoking is not allowed in bars and restaurants in Ireland, period, and I don't have a problem with this. If I am in a bar or restaurant and go outside for a cigarette I always use the external ashtray whereever provided. If there is no ashtray, then yes, I probably will extinguish the cigarette on the ground with my foot, and leave the butt there, but what's the alternative? Street sweepers have to earn a living too. I never smoke in my car or on the street.
It's not allowed here anymore either, thank goodness. The beach smoking ban has passed but as far as I can tell hasn't gone into effect, or isn't being enforced because every time I'm at the beach I have to move around because a big party of smokers comes and sits in front of me and sticks their butts in the sand. Like Headache, I don't really care of people smoke on public sidewalks (and for the most part, I can walk my dog on a city sidewalk), I can cross the street or walk past if it bothers me. I just think it's disgusting to toss the butts on the ground, out the car window, in the sand, etc. What's the alternative? Like all other refuse, throwing it away in the trash receptacle! I pick up after my dogs when they relieve themselves in public places, and carry my empty drink cup until I can throw it away. You can't tell me that a little cigg butt is more difficult to pick up and throw away than dog doo....

Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
What's the alternative? Like all other refuse, throwing it away in the trash receptacle!
Highly dangerous, do you realise fatal fires have been started that way? Cigarettes should only be discarded into a designated ashtray, which I emphasize I always do...if there is one available.

At this stage in this thread the same old arguments are going around and around. My position on smoking is that I don't recommend it, I am merely pointing out that there is huge inconsistency in the way the media and elements of the medical community go on and on about the risks from smoking whilst largely ignoring the danger from other forms of air pollution.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
well i can only really speak for NYC... and smoking outside of bars is still very much legal and in practice, even in the dead of winter.

the recent ban went for public parks... meaning central park, the times square pedestrian plaza, city beaches, coney island boardwalk, etc. etc. i'm in favor of this, and would have liked to see it also include outdoor subway and train platforms as well.

if you want to smoke on the sidewalk, i've got no problem with that... i just walk to the other side of the street.
Bloomberg, though I'm generally an admirer...there's just a faint whiff of reformed smoker zealot about the building with that guy.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #110
Blue Crack Distributor

yea but he's like this with a lot more than just smoking... he's had major campaigns against salt and sugar in foods, as well as congestion and automobile pollution. most MTA busses are electric now, and all new taxi cabs have to be hybrids, and the next new cab will be emissions free all together... he continues to push for a congestion toll for any car that enters manhattan below 125th street, and has closed down major intersections from automobile use, including large parts of times & herald squares.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Highly dangerous, do you realise fatal fires have been started that way? Cigarettes should only be discarded into a designated ashtray, which I emphasize I always do...if there is one available.

At this stage in this thread the same old arguments are going around and around. My position on smoking is that I don't recommend it, I am merely pointing out that there is huge inconsistency in the way the media and elements of the medical community go on and on about the risks from smoking whilst largely ignoring the danger from other forms of air pollution.

I agree.
on this thread each of us are preaching to our side of the choir now.

Can I sing!
"whoopee we're all gonna die."

Lighting up a Lucky Strike.
My first cigarette in a week.
I smoke by choice, not habit.

Take care and be sure to salt your fries liberally while visiting NYC.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And my position has more to do with the gross factor in public places than whether or not I recommend smoking or am concerned with air pollution. I don't really care if people smoke or not, nor do I have time to point out all the things other people do that shorten their lifespan. My only concern with smoking is when someone's habit starts bothering me.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Take care and be sure to salt your fries liberally while visiting NYC.
the salt thing is about the salt put into food while it's being cooked... you're more than happy to dump as much shit on it after the fact as your arteries would like.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
the salt thing is about the salt put into food while it's being cooked... you're more than happy to dump as much shit on it after the fact as your arteries would like.

Another thread I guess.
Salt Deficiency: the cause of many diseases: Crystal Salt Therapy
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
we're all gonna die."
But don't I have the right to try and live as long as possible?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

I saw it and thought it was cute and funny-honestly I didn't notice the smoking all that much..had no idea it was 60, maybe I was just tired. A lot of kids are going to start smoking because of Rango?

By Rita Rubin, USA TODAY

Anti-smoking advocates are calling the animated PG movie Rango a public health hazard for its numerous depictions of smoking.

The film, which opened Friday and topped the weekend box office with a gross of $38 million, includes at least 60 instances of characters smoking, said Kori Titus, CEO of the Sacramento-based non-profit Breathe California.

One of Breathe California's projects is "Thumbs Up! Thumbs Down!" — in which trained young people and adults analyze films' tobacco content. Each time a character is seen smoking is counted as one instance, Titus said, adding she was taken aback when she received an e-mail Sunday about the frequency of smoking in Rango. The only other animated film on par with that, she said, was 101 Dalmatians, with about 60 instances of Cruella De Vil smoking.

Because there are so many scenes in which characters smoke, she said, her group might not be able to get a definitive count until Rango comes out on DVD.

"A lot of kids are going to start smoking because of this movie," said Stanton Glantz, director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education at the University of California-San Francisco. Youths who frequently see smoking onscreen are two to three times more likely to begin smoking than peers who rarely see it depicted, he said.

On Feb. 23, Smoke Free Movies, a project of Glantz's, ran a full-page ad in Variety and the Hollywood Reporter that slammed the smoking in Rango. "How many studio execs did it take to OK smoking in a 'PG' movie?" the ad asked.

Said Glantz, "If we had known it's as bad as it is, this ad would have been even tougher."

Virginia Lam, a spokeswoman for Paramount, Rango's maker, said the title character never smokes. "The images of smoking in the film ... are portrayed by supporting characters and are not intended to be celebrated or emulated," she said.

From 2007 through 2010, Lam said, the number of Paramount's tobacco-free films across all ratings increased 25%, and only one G- or PG-rated film, a documentary, depicted tobacco. Lam said the studio also has included anti-smoking public service announcements on DVDs of youth-related movies that depict smoking.

Nevertheless, Rango has renewed the call by Glantz and other anti-smoking advocates for the Motion Picture Association of America, or MPAA, to rate any film that shows smoking as "R."

Of more than 2,500 movies rated from May 2007 to May 2010, nearly three-fourths of those that depicted smoking were rated R, and instances of smoking in films not rated R have declined, MPAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Kaltman said. Still, she said, "the (ratings) system should not be held up as a vehicle dedicated to cause less smoking in films."
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #117
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Youths who frequently see smoking onscreen are two to three times more likely to begin smoking than peers who rarely see it depicted, he said.
Somehow I doubt this is the sort of movie "youths" who start smoking are making those smoking-is-cool associations from.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:58 PM
See, this is where the anti-smoking crowd begin to lose me.

Quote:
"A lot of kids are going to start smoking because of this movie,"
Don't these claims pop up EVERY time a movie with these sorts of "influences" comes out? And doesn't it seem like the feared "sudden outbreak" always winds up being a wee bit overexaggerated?

It's. A. Movie. Don't want your kid to see it? Don't take them to the theater .

Angela
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

How dare children know that cigarettes exist!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #120
Blue Crack Distributor

they don't make happy cartoon characters smoking weed, yet somehow, someway, kids still manage to find out about it.