Have the tobacco police gone too far? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #91
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:25 AM
I'm all for someone being able to eat, drink or smoke whatever they want.

I just don't want to fucking smell like you do... so please smoke somewhere not near me.

After playing basketball for 3 hours I don't rub my socks on your clothing. Please don't smoke near mine. 'Preciate it.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #92
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:25 AM
I am so very happy that now when I go to see a concert I don't come home with every inch of me -- including my contact lenses when I wore them -- stinking of smoke. For me that's a fantastic reason to ban smoking in public places.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Dogs must be banned from all public places
Dogs are a filthy habit, taken up by filthy people who clearly have no respect for those who don’t like dog hair.

It has come to my attention that certain people are talking about amending the ban on dogs in public places. They want, in other words, to go back to the unhealthy, smelly, and inconsiderate past. Well, all I can say is that certain people seem to have some very misguided ideas about ‘freedom’ and ‘rights’.

The Dog Ban is one of the greatest political achievements of the last 500 years. Any revision – even discussion – would be a devastating blow to public health. Not that this is necessarily about health. Let’s face it: dogs just stink, and the people who get so powerfully attached to them – for God knows what sick and twisted reasons – stink, too. They have no ‘right’ to inflict their vile addiction on me.

Anyway, this isn’t about personal taste, it’s about health! Within minutes of exposure to a dog, my eyes start to itch and then swell up. Within an hour, I will start to wheeze, and eventually have a full-blown asthma attack. It is possible that such an attack could kill me. There are millions of people with similar allergies. Dog owners are nothing less than murderers. Moreover, they are a minority, so who cares what they want?

Quote:
Of course, I have nothing against dog addicts! I am a tolerant person. If they want to roll around in dog hair in their stinking homes, then good luck to them. Unless, of course, there are children present, in which case the dogs should be forcibly removed and shot. Likewise if the dog addict’s flat adjoins another. The same, naturally, goes for their cars. To have a dog in one’s car when a child is present is clearly a form of child abuse. Even non-asthmatic children are having their lives shortened by regular exposure to stinking dog germs.

Anyway, this isn’t about health or personal taste, it’s about setting a good example to children! Dog imagery on TV and displays of dog products in shops, for instance, must be banned. They can only encourage children to actually want a dog – even to think that such desires are normal. And what sort of example is set by dogs freely running around in open-air spaces such as parks, urinating and defecating all over the place? Not only that, but, in case you haven’t noticed, dogs bite. Have you ever seen a leg amputated because of gangrene? It’s not funny.

Still, you know the kind of things dog addicts say: ‘MY dog is a NICE dog’, or ‘I’ll clean up after it’, or ‘I’ll keep it on a leash’. Well, maybe they will, and maybe they won’t. We can’t depend on the ‘good will’ of these selfish morons. The Ban must, and will, be extended to outside areas as soon as possible. And it has to be a total ban, with no exceptions. That’s the only way to be fair.
Quote:
So, don’t listen to the pro-dog lobby. The Ban is here to stay, and now we can all move on to the next logical step: getting rid of filthy, stinking, fat, unhealthy, noisy, violent, drunken drinkers. A ban on alcohol in pubs is long overdue.

Joe Jackson is a musician and writer. He is a supporter of Save Our Pubs & Clubs: AmendTheSmokingBan.com, a cross-party campaign that wants amendments to the current smoking ban in Britain. An earlier version of this article was published on The Free Society.
Dogs must be banned from all public places | spiked
Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #94
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:25 AM
i think that falls a bit flat, though it is kinda funny.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #95
Forum Moderator

Many countries--Australia, Canada, NZ, Ireland, Germany, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, several US states--actually do severely restrict or outright ban the selling, owning or handling of dozens of traditional guard-dog breeds (Dobermans, Rotties, American Pit Bull & Staffordshire Terriers, Dogo Argentinos, Tosa Inus, American Bulldogs, etc. etc.). Granted, that's on public safety grounds as based on attack statistics, and not for aesthetic reasons as the above satire suggests--though it's hard to believe that "cute" Chow Chows and "majestic" German Shepherds don't get some mileage out of their looks in largely evading such bans, seeing as they have as many or more documented serious attacks to their (owners') discredit as several of the aforementioned breeds do.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

I think I live in the most dog UNfriendly city. Besides an actual pet store or Tractor Supply, I can't think of any public places where dogs are welcome. Dogs have always been banned from more places than smoking, and all the places I can think of that you can smoke, you can have a dog. You can smoke more places than you can bring a dog.

Breed bans and BSL (breed specific legislation) is probably an entirely different issue. My main objects are that 1) You can't legislate common sense (ie, responsible dog ownership). People still drink and drive, shoot each other with stolen guns, etc. 2) Most people aren't qualified to even make determinations on which "breed" a dog really is. On any given day, half the dogs at our local shelter are mislabeled. http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, I love dogs, but don't enjoy stepping around poorly cleaned up dog poop on the sidewalk.

Still like dogs more than cigarette smoke.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Me either. Other dogs and dog owners are some of my biggest pet peeves! The posted article didn't really do anything for me because I'm already used to my dogs not going anywhere public, so smokers can just deal with it. I have to pay higher insurance because I own dogs/German Shepherds; smokers can pay higher health insurance premiums. I still can't stand smoking, especially on the beach. Nothing bugs me more at the beach than having someone plunk down next to you and smoke the entire time, of course just leaving all the butts there on the sand. Besides the disgusting smell, I just can't wrap my mind around people throwing trash out of their window, on the sidewalk, on the sand at the beach.... and unfortunately I can't say I've met a smoker that actually picks up after him/herself.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

if i get shit canned drunk and start pestering random people walking down the street, i could very well end up in jail for being a public nuisance.

if i have a dog and i don't control my dog, i could very well end up having trouble with the law.

if i blast my music over a certain decibel level, i could very well end up having trouble with the law.

if i smoke, and i smoke in public and blow likely cancerous smoke in the general vicinity of random strangers, nothing at all happens to me.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
if i smoke, and i smoke in public and blow likely cancerous smoke in the general vicinity of random strangers, nothing at all happens to me.

Why aren't you bothered by automobile fumes, especially since you live in an automobile-dense urban area in one of the most car dependent societies on earth?

This is the question I keep asking and no-one has a satisfactory answer. Is it because, as smokers rights' groups argue, that people are propagandised - brainwashed, effectively - into absurd, over-the-top, and simply unscientific beliefs regarding the dangers of passive smoking?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

because i don't stand in the middle of the street.

and yes, new york city has laws restricting engine idling and "standing" cars, and the bloomberg administration has been going after congestion and restricting vehicle use in manhattan for quite a few years now.

if i sit in a car and idle the engine, blowing exhaust into the street, i can get a ticket. but i won't be getting that ticket, 'cause i don't own a car. this guy takes mass transit.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

This is the question I keep asking and no-one has a satisfactory answer. Is it because, as smokers rights' groups argue, that people are propagandised - brainwashed, effectively - into absurd, over-the-top, and simply unscientific beliefs regarding the dangers of passive smoking?
My opinions on the matter have nothing to do with the "dangers" of smoking. I just simply find it intrusive and disgusting. I don't fling my dog's shit or my soda cans all over the beach, the state parks, on the sidewalks, or out my car window. There are many bars and restaurants I avoided for years because they were downright filthy (and I come from a household of pack-a-day smokers so my standards are actually quite low).
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

yea i have more issue with not wanting to smell more than anything
Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
'cause i don't own a car. this guy takes mass transit.
Glad to hear it. You are not a hypocrite.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
My opinions on the matter have nothing to do with the "dangers" of smoking. I just simply find it intrusive and disgusting. I don't fling my dog's shit or my soda cans all over the beach, the state parks, on the sidewalks, or out my car window. There are many bars and restaurants I avoided for years because they were downright filthy (and I come from a household of pack-a-day smokers so my standards are actually quite low).
Smoking is not allowed in bars and restaurants in Ireland, period, and I don't have a problem with this. If I am in a bar or restaurant and go outside for a cigarette I always use the external ashtray whereever provided. If there is no ashtray, then yes, I probably will extinguish the cigarette on the ground with my foot, and leave the butt there, but what's the alternative? Street sweepers have to earn a living too. I never smoke in my car or on the street.