Have the tobacco police gone too far? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #21
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 476
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Well done:



__________________

Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I frequent the beaches around here often and am glad most have banned smoking. I don't think there's really burn hazard for kids but IMO it's just plain annoying and rude, especially since the smokers have a way of getting there well after you've set up and then sitting so that their smoke blows away from them at you, not to mention I don't think I've ever seen them pick up after themselves.
__________________

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I don't know.

I only smoke about two or three Lucky Strikes a month.

I field strip them after a smoke.


I did not realize that the smoking minority were littering the beaches.

Field strip those fags!!!!!
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Two cigarettes a month?? You're not even a "real" smoker, so I can't understand your pro-smoking advocacy.

Some of my friends smoke the occasional cigar and they wouldn't consider themselves smokers.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I am real smoker. I smoke Lucky Strikes nonfilter.

I am not a pro-smoking advocate.

My rant is about this nonsense propaganda that nicotine is as addictive as heroin and helpless addicts need to spend $$$$ to break the addiction or they need to be helpless in their habit.

I have friends who fought against heroin and crack cocaine addiction.


I will wait for your comment and others before a reply.
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Smoking a pack a year, to me, means you are not a smoker.

Nicotine absolutely and completely is as addictive as heroin. This is scientifically proven. Just because you didn't become addicted, doesn't mean it is not addictive.

I am glad to hear your friends got clean, but because they developed heroin and crack cocaine addictions doesn't imply that nicotine is not as addictive as heroin. There are, believe it or not, casual heroin users. They are rare but they exist. I have an acquaintance who has used pretty much everything, including h., but never became addicted to the h. (He did with the cocaine, however.)
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=financeguy;6914981]Smoking a pack a year, to me, means you are not a smoker.

Nicotine absolutely and completely is as addictive as heroin. This is scientifically proven. Just because you didn't become addicted, doesn't mean it is not addictive.




"Nicotine absolutely and completely is as addictive as heroin. This is scientifically proven.


I disagree. By what science? Have read this in a paper or something?

Do you think the anti-tobacco advocates spew propaganda?


Should most baby boomers be dead now from second hand smoke because when they were growing up smoking was allowed almost everywhere?
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I love reading a sentence like "I disagree" in response to science.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I disagree. By what science? Have read this in a paper or something?
May 16, 1988: Nicotine Declared As Addictive as Heroin, Cocaine


Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Do you think the anti-tobacco advocates spew propaganda?
Of course. Theirs generally has better scientific backing, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Should most baby boomers be dead now from second hand smoke because when they were growing up smoking was allowed almost everywhere?
No. No-one said that. What is scientifically proven is that, for a non-smoker, living in close proximity to a smoker over a long period of time increases the risk of certain forms of cancer by a massive 35%. Ok, it's 35% of a small risk, but still.

Did you read the article in the link I posted above?

(Apologies if I'm tetchy. Three days off NRT. )
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
May 16, 1988: Nicotine Declared As Addictive as Heroin, Cocaine




Of course. Theirs generally has better scientific backing, however.



No. No-one said that. What is scientifically proven is that, for a non-smoker, living in close proximity to a smoker over a long period of time increases the risk of certain forms of cancer by a massive 35%. Ok, it's 35% of a small risk, but still.

Did you read the article in the link I posted above?

(Apologies if I'm tetchy. Three days off NRT. )



My grandfather died at the age of 87.

His twin brother died at the age of 107.


Both of them used tobacco in moderation.


What I am trying to say here is that whatever we do, we should do in moderation.
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #31
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,899
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
My grandfather died at the age of 87.

His twin brother died at the age of 107.


Both of them used tobacco in moderation.


What I am trying to say here is that whatever we do, we should do in moderation.
Apparently, your family is genetically predisposed to resisting addictive compounds like nicotine.

This does not mean that others are quite so lucky. And the addictive nature of nicotine means that many people are unable to quit and/or smoke in moderation.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
My grandfather died at the age of 87.

His twin brother died at the age of 107.


Both of them used tobacco in moderation.


What I am trying to say here is that whatever we do, we should do in moderation.
And my father passed away in his early seventies of a cancer that was nothing to do with tobacco and I've known of a few people who never smoked that died quite young and my uncle-in-law has smoked (quite heavily, not moderately) all his life and is still in pretty good health in his mid-70s.

But none of this anecdotal stuff changes the fact that the evidence that smoking is very harmful to health is well-backed, well-researched and proven beyond reasonable doubt.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 02:35 PM
People can use whatever they want in moderation outside of my personal space.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
My grandfather died at the age of 87.

His twin brother died at the age of 107.


Both of them used tobacco in moderation.


What I am trying to say here is that whatever we do, we should do in moderation.
There's people out there who have been shot multiple times and survived.

People should be shot, just in moderation.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
There's people out there who have been shot multiple times and survived.

People should be shot, just in moderation.

Your comment reminds me of song.

press>>>play

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.


~Country Joe & the Fish
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,203
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
My rant is about this nonsense propaganda that nicotine is as addictive as heroin and helpless addicts need to spend $$$$ to break the addiction or they need to be helpless in their habit.
Do you not believe in capitalism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I have friends who fought against heroin and crack cocaine addiction.
So do I, but I also have known some that used both of these in moderation, should I disagree with science then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I disagree. By what science? Have read this in a paper or something?
Comments like this scare me on so many levels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Do you think the anti-tobacco advocates spew propaganda?
And what exactly are they propaganding for?

They existed before nicorette.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
My grandfather died at the age of 87.

His twin brother died at the age of 107.
Two men with almost the exact same DNA didn't become addicted? Well that proves everything.

Why the 20 year gap, that's unusual for twins if they lived the same lifestyles?
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
any girls/women here smoked a cigar or a pipe?


Keep your fetishes to yourself, Maddy
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,008
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Yeah, there are some things that just can't be done in moderation. Smoking is bad for you whether you do it once in a while or have two packs a day. And of course the tobacco companies put out propaganda. They're trying to sell a product. They want to make a profit (something that you can't argue when it comes to anti-smoking "propaganda", 'cause they're not selling anything. They're just asking people to not smoke, they're not suggesting anything to replace smoking. The only benefit they'll see from their ads are less people smoking). It's what companies do. And I think the means they've used are stupid at best, disgusting at worst.

All that being said, however, if someone decides to smoke because some poster said they'd look "cool" doing it, then that person is an idiot. The tobacco companies may have promoted the product, but the public still has the choice whether or not to buy it, nobody forced them into a store and made them buy a pack of cigarettes. My dad grew up in the era of the Marlboro Man. His entire family were smokers. He had numerous friends that smoked. Smoking was common on TV shows, in movies, everywhere. All the big influences were around him. And yet, he never, ever touched a cigarette in his life. Some people are just more susceptible to advertising than others. But so long as the product is legal, the company is allowed to sell it. You can think it's a horrible thing to sell (and I would be among the first to agree with you-non-smoker and perfectly happy being one), but unfortunately, they're still allowed to do it. Same goes with fast food and alcohol (even though alcohol can actually have the occasional health benefits, some people still find that a bad thing to sell, too). You just have to decide for yourself whether you want to buy what they're pushing.

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
alcohol (even though alcohol can actually have the occasional health benefits, some people still find that a bad thing to sell, too).
I dont know if it's been posted, but there is a new study out that found the people with the highest mortality rates are those who abstained from alcohol. The lowest rates were of moderate drinkers (1-3 drinks a day), but shockingly, even the heavy drinkers out performed the non drinkers
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 02:35 PM
3 drinks a day is moderate??
__________________

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×