Harriet Tubman New Face of the $20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew Jackson was an atrocious human being and historians are rightfully being less kind to his Presidency. Glad he's been removed. :up:

Andrew Jackson hated the idea of a national bank. Glad they saved Hamilton. The Drunk History episode on Harriet Tubman is badass

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Glad they went with Tubman and not Susan B. Anthony as I was reading before. No disrespect to Anthony, but her name has become synonymous with "the only female we can think of" in our nation's history. And there are more.

Great choice, and I'm so happy they're getting rid of Jackson instead of Hamilton.

...I'm very disappointed they didn't go with a Native American leader. You could've easily just transitioned the one person that gets any attention from the useless gold coin she's currently on, and still ended up with a woman on currency, as well as a minority who was the victim of travesty at the hands of the US government. That man in particular.

I'm glad he's off the damn bill though. I can't express how much I hate him.

First I'm hearing this news. Awesome :up:. Good choice.

This is a good post, too, though:

...I'm very disappointed they didn't go with a Native American leader. You could've easily just transitioned the one person that gets any attention from the useless gold coin she's currently on, and still ended up with a woman on currency, as well as a minority who was the victim of travesty at the hands of the US government. That man in particular.

I'm glad he's off the damn bill though. I can't express how much I hate him.

Damnit Ashley don't hit the wrong note in this surprising chorus of agreement. :wink:

Damnit Ashley don't hit the wrong note in this surprising chorus of agreement. :wink:
:shrug:, I'm sure you'd feel similarly if the situation were to do with someone who, arguably, committed genocide against NZ or Aus aboriginals.

Unless you're just messing with me, in which case, t(-_-t)

I'm just by and large frustrated because I don't feel like we've done enough as a country, at all, to address the situation with Native Americans. It's probably the only issue I REALLY really care about with this much passion and I don't want to say I feel it was co-opted for something else, but that's kinda how I feel. I'm glad they're getting him off the $20, but I want MORE responsibility. Even if he's dead, just once it would be nice to hear some official statement or something from the government saying, "Hey, you know...Andrew Jackson was kind of a dick. Like...a huge dick. We're really sorry about that. And all of those deaths he was responsible for."

I don't want it to come across as though I don't want a woman on our currency, or that I don't want a black American of significant impact on our country's history, or either. I just wanted some recognition for the people who this country once belonged to, and yeah, a race that I identify as, as well.

Oh I totally agree with you about Jackson. But you seem disappointed in the choice of Tubman?

Oh I totally agree with you about Jackson. But you seem disappointed in the choice of Tubman?

Nope, not Tubman at all, I'm disappointed in the choice not to use a Native American as the face on the dollar instead of Jackson. Just a small bit of an 'I'm sorry.' that still covers the basis of a minority and a woman could have easily been achieved, as we already have a Native American woman on a very minor coin. Could have just used her on the bill as well.

EDIT: Nope, not disappointed about Tubman as a choice to be on currency. It was the situation as a whole. It's hard to explain. I told Travis I was going to stay out of this conversation because I knew I wouldn't be able to voice how I felt sufficiently without coming across in a way that I don't want to come across, but I had to go and open my big mouth anyways.

Ahh I get you. Though given that Jackson owned slaves and Tubman escaped slavery, isn't she still a bit of a fuck you to him?

I just accidentally opened an article about this on Facebook, I didn't pay attention to who posted it, and it was from Fox News, the comment section made me sick to my stomach.

In case anyone was morbidly curious, the argument for keeping Jackson on the twenty is that we're whitewashing history. And, besides, our founding fathers had checkered pasts too, right? No big deal.

I'd argue that there's a difference between "checkered past" and "genocidal." But, you know. I'm preaching to the choir.

How much you want to bet the same people griping about this see no problem with school textbooks that "edit out" notable non-white figures in history, or minimizing the impact of slavery (or calling it something else altogether), or whatever?

Sigh. Is it sad that I'm not even remotely surprised there'd be idiots coming out of the woodwork to make a comment about this?

I just accidentally opened an article about this on Facebook, I didn't pay attention to who posted it, and it was from Fox News, the comment section made me sick to my stomach.

I read some comments and some lady was upset they took a "Founding Father" off the $20. Seriously.

But yeah, they are complaining of whitewashing. Like somehow if he's not on the front of the 20 no one will learn about him. Ugh.

Or they bring up the fact that the actual founding fathers were slave owners so the "left" will come after them next. Sigh.

I read some comments and some lady was upset they took a "Founding Father" off the $20. Seriously.

But yeah, they are complaining of whitewashing. Like somehow if he's not on the front of the 20 no one will learn about him. Ugh.

Or they bring up the fact that the actual founding fathers were slave owners so the "left" will come after them next. Sigh.
History should only remember him for the atrocity he was responsible for.

Ahh I get you. Though given that Jackson owned slaves and Tubman escaped slavery, isn't she still a bit of a fuck you to him?

I mean, yeah, a bit. Slavery is/was terrible. It's just... Yeah... Genocide. I don't care who's on the bill, if it gets people talking about this.

One is the systematic destruction of a race, the other is the systematic abuse of a race and Jackson contributed to both.

All things considered, Tubman is a much more appropriate choice than Susan B Anthony at least.

Unfortunately, Jackson is still staying on the $20 bill, just being moved to the back. I'd happily put literally any Native American figure there instead of him.

Jackson really bothers me. He was a really, really, really horrible president, and his actions against Native Americans stand out to me as exceptionally terrible even by the standards of the day. But maybe that's the liberal propaganda of my AP US History education from all those years ago getting to me. :shrug:

Wait... What... He's staying?

Fuck everything

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app

Wait... What... He's staying?

Fuck everything

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah. :(

Treasury Decides To Put Harriet Tubman On $20 Bill : The Two-Way : NPR

In a statement, the Treasury also announced that the new $20 note will keep an image of Jackson, who was a slaveholder, on the back. The new $10 bill will keep Hamilton on the front but in the back feature "an image of the historic march for suffrage that ended on the steps of the Treasury Department." Leaders of that movement — Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Alice Paul — will be honored in the image.

sansa_crying_game_of_thrones.gif

Back
Top Bottom