Happy Veterans Day and

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
thank you to all service men and women that have made sacrifices for a better world for all.

Veterans_day.jpg

Veterans Day is an American holiday honoring military veterans. Both a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states, it is celebrated on the same day as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other parts of the world, falling on November 11, the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

Veterans Day is largely intended to thank veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to United States national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.

*elevation

Freedom is not free.

Much thanks to all now and to all in the past who have paid the price.

I was not there on D-Day, but I'm thankful to all who were.

:up:

It is a different holiday than Remembrance Day, which does not thank veterans per se, but is specifically dedicated to the lives lost in WWI.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
— John McCrae

That poem makes me cry, and I can't even hear it referenced without thinking of whichever Peanuts animated special where Linus recites the poem (or part of it).

Anyway.

Thank you to all who have served.

Thank you all veterans and all those currently serving

The young dead soldiers do not speak.
Nevertheless, they are heard in the still houses:
who has not heard them?
They have a silence that speaks for them at night
and when the clock counts.
They say: We were young. We have died.
Remember us.
They say: We have done what we could
but until it is finished it is not done.
They say: We have given our lives but until it is finished
no one can know what our lives gave.
They say: Our deaths are not ours: they are yours,
they will mean what you make them.
They say: Whether our lives and our deaths were for
peace and a new hope or for nothing we cannot say,
it is you who must say this.
We leave you our deaths. Give them their meaning.
We were young, they say. We have died; remember us.

by Archibald MacLeish,
1892-1982, American Poet

A day to honor the veterans is nice. A better way to honor them is to make sure we protect their jobs, make sure they receive quality medical care and counseling, make sure they don't slip through the system or are prevented from cynical technicalities from availing themselves of what they have earned. Make sure the government doesn't neglect them or ignore them. Substance in addition to the symbolism. I haven't done enough. I intend to do more.

BonosSaint said:
A day to honor the veterans is nice. A better way to honor them is to make sure we protect their jobs, make sure they receive quality medical care and counseling, make sure they don't slip through the system or are prevented from cynical technicalities from availing themselves of what they have earned. Make sure the government doesn't neglect them or ignore them. Substance in addition to the symbolism. I haven't done enough. I intend to do more.
Absolutely.

According to the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers and Clients (U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness and the Urban Institute, 1999), veterans account for 23% of all homeless people in America.

That's just sad.

Tonight CBS will air the first of a two-part series on the "hidden epidemic" of military suicides, revealing numbers that CBS calls "stunning." The report examines data on the suicide rate amongst veterans once they return home, which indicates a serious mental health issue — and a hidden mortality rate.

"We first started researching military suicides because it had never been done before," said Armen Keteyian, CBS News' chief investigative correspondent in a statement forwarded by CBS News. "But when all the data was collected, we were astonished. I had no idea how much of an epidemic CBS uncovered. We expect this to be a wake up call."

Keteyian previewed the segment on the "CBS Early Show" today, saying that the CBS five-month study found that vets were "more than twice as likely to commit suicide in 2005 as non-vets." Chillingly, though the Veterans Affairs Department estimates that "some 5,000 ex-servicemen and women will commit suicide this year,' that's a lowball estimate. Said Keteyian: "Our numbers are much higher than that, overall."

According to a CBS spokesperson, the report represents the first time an actual count of veteran suicides at home has been tallied, as opposed to estimates. "We also have number from the DOD of active duty suicides that we believed have never been reported before dating back to 1995," said the spokesperson. "Many believe, including the family members, that they VA hasn't done a true nationwide count of the numbers (which are stunning) because they just don't want to know." This echoes findings in a CBS report on the matter back in January 2004, which focused on soldier suicides during deployment but which also noted that the Pentagon did not count post-release suicides, and that a pre-Iraq war army study had predicted "an impending soldier-suicide crisis" (which, according to critics, was "largely ignored").

The two-part series will focus tonight on the numbers, and tomorrow on how the Dept. of Veterans Affairs is handling this problem. According to CBS, tonight's segment runs 5 minutes — long for a newscast (though tonight is a single-sponsor broadcast (Pfizer) which will definitely save a few minutes).

Military suicides have been in the news recently owing to the passage last month of the Joshua Omvig Veterans Suicide Prevention Act (HR. 327), named for 22-year-old Army Reservist Joshua Omvig who commited suicide a few months after his return from Iraq. The bill "directs the Department of Veterans Affairs to develop and implement a comprehensive program to reduce the incidence of suicide among veterans," by virtue of better screening of veteran patients for mental health, tracking of veterans, better suicide prevention training for VA staff (including designating one suicide-specific counselor at each facility), and a 24-hour mental-health care, including a hotline. The legislation also requires the VA to report back on "status, timeline and costs for complete implementation within 2 years" within 90 days (i.e. by late January).

Thanks to all our soldiers present & past. My friend brought pictures to share with us of her husband who was killed in Viet Nam in 1969 he was only 19 years old & they had only been married for a year. :sad:

WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE
words and music by Pete Seeger

Where have all the flowers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Girls have picked them every one
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Taken husbands every one

Where have all the young men gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one

Where have all the soldiers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone to graveyards every one

Where have all the graveyards gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Covered with flowers every one
When will we ever learn?
When will we ever learn?

©1961 (Renewed) Fall River Music Inc
All Rights Reserved.

:up:

Not really relevant to Veterans Day, but next Sunday is when our local USO will be assembling holiday gift packages for troops serving overseas, so I'm volunteering for that. I'm not sure if other local USOs around the country do this at the same time or not. Not as important as the legislative supports BonosSaint mentioned, but it's an opportunity to make some small contribution to morale for troops from your state serving abroad.

How many living WW1 vets does America have left? In Britain we have 3 aged 108,110 and 112 i think it was. Just curious.

Only one, a 107-year-old West Virginian who shipped off to Europe at 16 (lied about his age to be allowed in). He was a POW in WWII as well.

In the US, the draft age was 21 until August 1918, which may have something to do with why we've had fewer surviving WWI veterans than other combatant countries for several years now.

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Three of the remaining 4 British WW1 veterans were at the Cenotaph to lay wreaths with the queen yesterday in London.

BBC NEWS | UK | Poignant ceremony marks Armistice

visting Ypres in Belgium was truly life changing. especially for an American. for us, WW1 doesn't have nearly the importance and cultural memory as does WW2 (for obvious reasons). i recommend a trip to everyone. it will give you an appreciation for what the new world of mechanized warfare could do to cities and towns, as well what it could do to human flesh. and the utter insanity of war.

ypres0407_468x273.jpg

especially for an American. for us, WW1 doesn't have nearly the importance and cultural memory as does WW2 (for obvious reasons).
:yes: I think the US, Russia/USSR, Greece, Romania, Japan and Germany were the only participants in both wars who didn't lose more soldiers in WWI than WWII. I get the impression that in Canada and Australia, WWI is more of a focal point for commemoration than WWII is, and if so, I suppose this is why. But in the American memory, WWI very much lives in the shadow of WWII--the Flanders Fields poem, the poppy as a symbol of remembrance, you almost never see that here.

Back
Top Bottom